Postings by Lyle

GO!

Behavior & Training > Territorial Terrier!

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 11:30pm PST 
We did not explore medication or calming aids, as we were mostly addressing Lyle's issues outside the house with leash aggression, fear of people in uniform and homeless people with shopping carts - most of which are now reasonably under control, and great when I'm 100% consistent and use a gentle leader, etc.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a rescue terrier for everyone - but Lyle's cleverness, charm & affection over the past four years have mostly outweighed the challenge of adopting a dog who didn't have much early socialization. Still, I wish there was a way for him to really understand that he's safe in a loving home and not in any danger from mail carriers or the children next door.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lyle, Jan 30 11:30 pm

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 11:57pm PST 
Thanks so much for your response, Casey.

Lyle and I have worked with Sophia Yin in the past, and a repeat visit may be in order. I've also met Ian Dunbar over the years, and may try that route as well. I know that Lyle can be reactive, and that it's really up to me to manage him consistently to pre-empt that behavior as much as possible. I've done a lot of reading on fearful dogs as well, and keep hoping I'll find some way to make his various triggers less threatening.

It was just so curious to see how differently he behaved when we were on vacation - as if he knew he was on vacation as well, and that he didn't have to guard anything or worry about anything. I wish he knew that all the time! I was curious to see if other folks experience this with their anxious dogs, so I posted here in hopes it might help some others, too. Thanks again for your suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lyle, Jan 30 11:30 pm

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 10:29pm PST 
Lyle is a 5 yr old rescue JRT, who is generally delightful. As he gets older, though, he is getting more and more territorial about our house, and any small noise outside can incite a flurry of panicked barking. Visitors are all potentially threatening, especially children, and it's been very frustrating to manage this increasingly difficult behavior.

This past weekend, we rented a house in the country with 14 adults, five small children and another dog - I worried that this would make Lyle insane, but in fact it was the total opposite - without having to worry about protecting our house, he was an absolute delight to be around, totally relaxed, letting the children handle him and hug him, not barking at anything, etc. Everyone noticed the difference in his temperament.

Now that we're back at home, every small noise (even familiar noises we hear all the time from neighbors) is setting him off again. Tomorrow's garbage pickup - like every Monday morning - will be an utter panic and barkfest. I wish there was a way to make this easier for him! I can handle the barking, but it makes me sad to see him so stressed, and it was such a joy to see what he was like this weekend without any territory issues. Any advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lyle, Jan 30 11:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Too good for the rain!

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Tue Nov 2, '10 9:47pm PST 
Lyle is a 4.5 yr old JRT, who was housebroken when I adopted him at one year. He has the full run of the house (he's phobic about crates) and access to the backyard, where he happily goes outside to do his business. On sunny days, that is.

On rainy days (and we're just entering the rainy season in SF, which will last through March or April), he's decided he's too good to poop in the rain (after all, humans don't poop in the rain, and he's just as good as a human!), so he'll go downstairs to the open door and poop right there next to the door. Never elsewhere in the house, but just in the spot he's decided is acceptably close to the approved bathroom area.

I'm not thrilled about this, and at this point I'm not sure how to fix it. He knows he's supposed to go outside. He goes outside when it is not raining. And because I am not catching him in the act, there's no way for me to correct him verbally or give him positive rewards for doing the right thing (going outside). He gets plenty of exercise (goes out for 2 hour off-leash runs at our local parks with his dog walker) and eats healthy organic food, so at this point, I think it's not anything physical, just the typical JRT attitude of superiority where he's decided that going out in the rain is beneath his dignity.

Any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mini, Nov 3 12:31 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > Grooming A broken coat jack russell

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 10:59pm PST 
Lyle's also a broken coat. The Furminator works really well, though he still sheds a lot. His hair never gets long, though it is a little scruffier than a smooth coat.

Stripping the coat refers to pulling out the undercoat - it's generally done by hand, and you can do it yourself by just pinching some hair and pulling - the hair that's ready to come out will come out without much force, and the sensation is not very painful to the dog. Lyle likes it quite a bit. The Furminator does basically the same thing, though stripping by hand regularly will probably get more fur removed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lyle, Oct 30 10:59 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > The most bizarre of all Jack Russells?
Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Wed Oct 6, '10 4:11pm PST 
Yeah, JRTs are bizarre little creatures. Lyle likes to pick berries, too. Mostly blackberries around here, but I bet he'd love blueberries too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 29 7:52 am

Jack Russell Terrier > Need Food Advice

Lyle

rub my belly!

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 4:58pm PST 
Lyle eats Innova Evo and loves it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chase, Aug 29 6:24 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.