Postings by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari)

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Azawakh > Hohooo !! Anyone here ?
Tavar (Al- Hara's- Tawari)

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 9:17pm PST 
Hello pretty one, you are not alone!! There are a very few of us.....maybe a dozen on Dogster. We're actually curious as what it's like to have an Azawakh as a puppy; Zak and Tavar came to us as adults.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by V'Auda ak Ilaman, Sep 26 12:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > BRAVO Raw Burgers?? New to Raw!

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 8:37pm PST 
We Posted thid in Food & Nutrition not realizing Dogster had a forum dedicated to raw.......

We've been making big changes with our foods as of late. Frustrated with Canidae and feeling we could do even better than EVO with a raw diet; we started Tavar on BRAVO Raw Burgers in January. The change we've seen in her is amazing!! Her muscles pop, her weight is fantastic and her energy level...way increased! Keep in mind we're talking about a dog with hypo-thryroidism.

Our question….Does anyone here have any experience with BRAVO Raw Burgers? We've been rotating between beef and turkey with no problems at all. We just want to make sure this is a good choice...we're new to raw but our success has been such that we'll likely switch our other dog Zak over as well.

Any thoughts on BRAVO?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Seattle, Feb 29 11:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > BRAVO Raw Burgers?? New to RAW!

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 8:15pm PST 
We've been making big changes with our foods as of late. Frustrated with Canidae and feeling we could do even better than EVO with a raw diet; we started Tavar on BRAVO Raw Burgers in January. The change we've seen in her is amazing!! Her muscles pop, her weight is fantastic and her energy level...way increased! Keep in mind we're talking about a dog with hypo-thryroidism.

Our question….Does anyone here have any experience with BRAVO Raw Burgers? We've been rotating between beef and turkey with no problems at all. We just want to make sure this is a good choice...we're new to raw but our success has been such that we'll likely switch our other dog Zak over as well.

Any thoughts on BRAVO?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jillian, Mar 1 12:07 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > How do you know if you need a sweater?

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 10:30pm PST 
Well, we both wear coats, but that's because we're sighthounds and have very low body fat % which makes us volnerable to cold.

If I were you, I would wear a sweater.

Form and function my dear.......form and function.

.......and don't forget, plaid is making a comback!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Krash, Dec 1 3:04 pm

Food & Nutrition > Yogurt with dog food

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 6:22am PST 
I have Crohn's disease; lactose intolerance as well as a myriad of other digestive issues go hand and hand with this condition. And yes, I have been tested with a hydrogen breath test as well as more..."invasive" procedures. So, as I said before, goatsmilk and goatsmilk yogurt work for me AND I have my doctors go ahead. In the interest of keeping this conversation about yogurt and the canine diet, I would suggest you PM me with any personal questions.

Regarding our dogs, another reason that we feed our dogs goatsmilk and goatsmilk yogurt is the fact that it has been a staple in the traditional Azawakh diet for a millennia. The Tuareg (a North African tribe) diet for the Azawakh consists of a mixture of goatsmilk, millet and dates. Since Tavar and Zak are only a generation removed from their native African environment, they are very sensitive to western foods. With Zak in particular, we were having problems with a lot of gas and loose stools. We tried regular plain yogurt with no results. After we introduced goatsmilk to their diets we were amazed by the results! It actually allowed us a slight flexibility to try new foods.

Anyway, this is our experience with goatsmilk. If plain yogurt works for you then that’s terrific, stick with it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari), Oct 31 6:22 am

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 3:38pm PST 
As a lactose intolerant individual, I will only eat goatsmilk. Everything I have read and experienced has been terrific! I believe the biggest difference between goatsmilk and cowsmilk is that goatsmilk breaksdown easier thus making it easier to digest. It might well be more expensive, but as my only real option it's well worth it!

I've pasted some information that explains the differences between goat and cowsmilk.

Different fat.
Goat's milk contains around ten grams of fat per eight ounces compared to 8 to 9 grams in whole cow's milk, and it's much easier to find lowfat and non-fat varieties of cow's milk than it is to purchase lowfat goat's milk. Unlike cow's milk, goat's milk does not contain agglutinin. As a result, the fat globules in goat's milk do not cluster together, making them easier to digest. Like cow's milk, goat's milk is low in essential fatty acids, because goats also have EFA-destroying bacteria in their ruminant stomachs. Yet, goat milk is reported to contain more of the essential fatty acids linoleic and arachnodonic acids, in addition to a higher proportion of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids. These are easier for intestinal enzymes to digest.

Different protein.
Goat milk protein forms a softer curd (the term given to the protein clumps that are formed by the action of your stomach acid on the protein), which makes the protein more easily and rapidly digestible. Theoretically, this more rapid transit through the stomach could be an advantage to infants and children who regurgitate cow's milk easily. Goat's milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goat's milk casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin. Scientific studies have not found a decreased incidence of allergy with goat's milk.

Different minerals.
Although the mineral content of goat's milk and cow's milk is generally similar, goat's milk contains 13 percent more calcium, 25 percent more vitamin B-6, 47 percent more vitamin A, 134 percent more potassium, and three times more niacin. It is also four times higher in copper. Goat's milk also contains 27 percent more of the antioxidant selenium than cow's milk. Cow's milk contains five times as much vitamin B-12 as goat's milk and ten times as much folic acid (12 mcg. in cow's milk versus 1 mcg. for goat's milk per eight ounces with an RDA of 75-100 mcg. for children). The fact that goat's milk contains less than ten percent of the amount of folic acid contained in cow's milk means that it must be supplemented with folic acid in order to be adequate as a formula or milk substitute for infants and toddlers, and popular brands of goat's milk may advertise "supplemented with folic acid" on the carton.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari), Oct 31 6:22 am

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 6:50pm PST 
We feed goatsmilk or sheepsmilk yogurt everyday, twice a day. Goatsmilk is easier to digest than cows milk and is also recommended for people with lactose intolerance. It made a HUGE difference for our dogs with digestion and gas. Our dogs are on two different foods; Tavar eats EVO and Zak eats Canidae (EVO was a bit too rich for him). We purchase goastmilk yogurt at our local healthfood store. One word of warning; when kids are born goats are not milked so when spring rolls around it's asually not available. During the spring we use powdered goatsmilk which we order on-line.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari), Oct 31 6:22 am

Food & Nutrition > Grain Free Options

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '07 8:02am PST 
Stormie.....sorry to be so late with my response! We get Goatsmilk yogurt at a local health food store. It's great stuff and yes, the humans benefit from it as well. The only problem we had was one of availability. When kids are born in the spring, goats are not milked so that means no goatsmilk in the store. This is why we order goatsmilk powder on-line. The powder can be $$, but a little will go a loooong way plus it's good to have some on hand in case you cant find the milk or yogurt.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Felix, Nov 7 2:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > Grain Free Options

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '07 1:19pm PST 
We feed two foods in our house. Zak eats Canidae and Tavar eats Innova EVO. Zak had problems with EVO so we switched him back to Canidae. Tavar on the other hand has done great with EVO and it keeps her weight down. We also give each of them a tablespoon of goatsmilk yogurt with their food. When goatsmilk yogurt isn't available in the spring, we stock up on goatsmilk powder. We've found tht it really helps with digestion.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Felix, Nov 7 2:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > FDA labels NUTRO dog, cat foods \"unsafe\"

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 6:35pm PST 
OK, we're not understanding something. What is the difference between being declared "unsafe" and being recalled; should it not be one in the same? We fed Nutro Ultra Dry until the recall and Zak developed a UTI. Then we changed to Blue Buffalo and changed again after BB's wet food was recalled. We now feed a combo of Canidae and EVO and they LOVE it!

I'm rather concerned because we've heard that Canidae plans to go national in the next few months and that might indicate a change in quality (not in the good sense).

Any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by In loving memory of Lilo, Apr 13 2:01 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.