advantage of this offer.
Together, we can reform our shelters so that they reflect, rather
than hinder, our values. And in doing so, we can help create a
future every animal will be respected and cherished, and where
every individual life will be protected and revered. --Nathan &
Jennifer Winograd
To get your free copy of the e-book between now and the end of
day this Sunday, click on the book cover above. Visit
nathanwinograd. com for more information.
In addition to Kindle, the e-book can also be read on smart
phones or e-readers by downloading the free kindle app from
Amazon. FREE THIS WEEKEND ONLY
Nathan J. Winograd 6114 La Salle Ave. #836 Oakland, CA 94611
nathanwinograd. com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 10:59 am

Other Barks & Woofs > No strays or unwanted dogs in New York? All dogs are desexed and all cats declawed?
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:52am PST 
I have lots of friends in NJ and plenty of our students come from there and I have never heard of any such thing. Your co-worker is misinformed.

And sadly, there are plenty of dogs and cats in shelters. I pull from NJ shelters now and then and they are always urging me to see if I know anyone who will help this dog or that dog because time in getting short. Do a quick Petfinder search and it is pretty easy to see what is available.

As to prices, that varies from shelter to shelter and rescue to rescue.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 20 3:29 pm

Behavior & Training > How to potty train a dog who has been outdoors' her entire life...

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:30am PST 
Back to basics, all the way back. Can she be crated? Not in a bad way, in a the crate is a very happy place way. And X-Pen my work, but a crate would be better.

When not crated, tether her to you. If you can not 100% supervise her, she should be in a crate.

And you did a good thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 15 9:00 am

Behavior & Training > Training With Hand Signals

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 4:08pm PST 
Dogs understand body language much easier than they understand verbal language, so I would not worry too much! I agree, I would lure, fade and morph the lure into your hand signal. Check out Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Dog training for some good ideas.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Animal Cops.. Dumb..?

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:33am PST 
I think that is one place rescue plays a very valuable role. ALL of the dogs we pull are in back rooms for one reason or another. Of all the behaviorally challenged dogs I have pulled, there is only 1 I have found to be a true risk to the public (ie Asher).

I find the behaviorally challenged dogs to be no different from the ones who have health issues. The healthy, happy, friendly ones get adopted. The ones we pull need a little more work, either medically or behaviorally. So we (rescues) invest our time and money (what little we have of both) making the back room, up for euth dogs into adoptable pets.

Most of the dogs trucked up to us from the south have medical issues that would get them euthed. Most of the dogs we pull locally are a mix, some, like Ash, are to be euthed for behavioral issues, some, like the emaciated boston momma who just had a litter of pups in our rescue are to be euthed because the shelters can't afford to properly vet them.

either way, I hate hate the assess-a-pet test. I agree it is designed to fail dogs. My 27 year old son would fail that test on a good day.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 3 10:33 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Anyone heard of dog flipping?
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:40am PST 
Opheilia, placing them is so fulfilling. It breaks my heart when they leave, but when you get the pictures and the emails telling you how loved the dog is in their new home, it helps heal your heart and prepares you for the next one.

And that is what we so, we take the sick, the unwanted, the ones who have issues, and we make them adoptable pets. In the interim, they live in our homes and sleep on our beds and we give them all the love we give our own dogs.

Right now, my foster (I on;y have one as the other went home on Monday) is a dog with a bite record with the state. Tough little man to adopt out. He may become mine, IDK, but while we wait and see he sleeps in my arms every night, safe, with no fears.

No cute little puppies for me. Unless they are born in our rescue or surrendered by owners, we leave those behind BECAUSE they are adoptable. I'll take the real hard luck cases and make sure they win the lottery.

Have you considered working with a rescue, Ophelia?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 3:40 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Anyone heard of dog flipping?

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 12:41pm PST 
Further, yes, rescues do tend to take the most "desirable" dogs and puppies. There are purebred rescues, in example. It is generally beneficial to these dogs, though, to be placed through a purebred rescue group rather than the shelter itself.

As for the all-breed rescues that seem to cherry-pick the most adoptable dogs: yes, they do that.

I can not stress enough that in my area, that is not the standard practice. In fact, many shelters will blacklist your rescue completely if you do that. I am working now with an all breed rescue, used to work for a small breed rescue focusing on poms and pekes, and have friends who work in many different breed rescues, including friends who work with the National Breed rescue for Belgians and Cattle Dogs. Even they say they don't get the call for every dog of their breed, they don't get to pick, and taking the best would negate what they do.

I think it is rescues that DO cherry pick that make JQP think that ALL rescues do that, and I have heard it listed as a reason people won't use rescues.

In my area, the way things work is the shelter calls the rescue if their breed of choice (or in the case of all breed, if ANY breed) is in trouble. We don't get calls for that adorable 3 month old puppy, we get calls for the sick, the seniors, the ones that don't show well, the ones who have behavioral issues and the ones whose time is up. All of my fosters that have been pulled from shelters have come out of the back rooms. I never pull dogs on the adoption floor and most of my rescue friends say exactly the same thing.

There is ONE rescue in this area, a huge lab rescue, who DOES get to cherry pick, but even they generally don't, preferring to help the dogs who truly need help rather than the ones who are not at risk. And to me, that is what rescue is REALLY about, not helping that cute, happy, young puppy who could just as easily be adopted from the shelter floor, but helping to save the life of a dog whose time is up.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 3:40 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Puppy mill adoption?

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 2:54pm PST 
When dogs approach the doors in mills they are often kicked back. They learn that attempting to cross thresholds is dangerous.

I have several friends who pull from mills who have seen this happening and almost without fail each and every mill dog I have fostered or adopted has exhibited this behavior to some degree.

Many also have issues with surface changes (ie grass to cement, rug to linoleum etc).

Really, meet the dog. i LOVE Merlin and he is the reason i began fostering. I wanted to offer a refuge for mill dogs to learn to trust humans while they awaited their furever home.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucky Duck, Dec 20 12:59 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Puppy mill adoption?

Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 4:51am PST 
It really depends on the dog.

I have dogs come to my home straight from the mill that are sweet and friendly and I have dogs come here that are completely broken. Some dogs bounce back well, some take months, some take years and some will never be "normal".

Aggression or resource guarding are not likely to be huge issues. Aggression gets culled quickly in a mill (and not in a very nice way).

Behaviors I tend to see are more in the realm of fear, fear of new people, fear of new location, fear of the unknown in general. But again, that is a portion of the dogs we get.

When Merlin came here, he hid behind the couch for 3 days. If you would see him now, wow! He is my greeter and if you come to my house you better be prepared to give him some loving. He adores my 4 year old grandson, plays with him, has to be near him, is constantly giving him kissies and loving. He goes with me to mill dog events and represents for those dogs, begging for attention.

OTOH, it took Kaluha 9 months to trust people enough to take food from a hand. While he is safe and secure here in my home, he still finds the larger world to be a scary place.

So ask a lot of questions. Meet the dog. There is something special about adopting a mill dog.

And on this:

The one thing that caught my attention is that the foster mom said the only thing that she noticed as far as any kind of fearful behavior is that this dog is afraid to enter the house. She has to move way far away from the door before the dog will enter.

That is common behavior in mill dogs. I see it time and time again. They have door issues. Can you guess why? It's not too hard to figure out.

But even that tends to fade in time.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lucky Duck, Dec 20 12:59 am

Behavior & Training > Why do you have a dog/s?
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 8:12pm PST 
Merlin, well that was weird. Kia had just dies and i contacted Twin Tiers Rescue to see if they had an older female dog that needed a loving home in which to spend her twilight years, so naturally, they suggested I take a 6 mos old mill dog. Merlin came to me afraid of his own shadow, he hid behind my couch for three days, but not he is the friendliest dog and often accompanies me to mill dog events.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jun 17 11:06 pm

(Page 1 of 74: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.