Postings by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 374: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:22am PST 
I like to let my dogs be dogs on walks. Marking, sniffing, etc. All fine. As long as they listen when cued and do not pull. smile

Risa is dog reactive and fearful. When I first got her, I wanted her to walk alongside me in heel without sniffing, attempting to chase prey, lunging at dogs, sniffing people, etc. It never worked (more due to my ineptitude at the time than anything else) and I eventually decided I didn't need that out of her. Besides, we didn't have a yard or a safe place for her to "be a dog" and do those things dogs need and like to do. On a leash walk was her only chance.

I think loosening up on a walk was one of the best things I did for her. Not only did it allow her time for dog things, it gave her a chance to investigate the world. To see that not everything was out to get her. She takes so much in stride now and actively investigates things that startle her.

Now that's not to say I am irresponsible about my reactive dog who walks with the freedom of all 6 feet of her leash. Not at all. There is still structure to our walks. If we're passing a crowd of people, I ask her to walk close alongside me. (I sometimes let her keep walking because she simply ignores people and keeps her distance naturally but I usually ask her to come in.) I also always have her walk close to me when we are passing dogs. Sometimes even to the point of moving far off the path if I think she's a bit unnerved by that dog. She usually will start pulling off to the side in advance if she's uncomfortable so I follow suit to give her the space she needs to feel comfortable.

Just because you let your reactive dog spend time sniffing trees, stalking squirrels, and marking doesn't mean you're being irresponsible. Our walks aren't a free for all nor are they rigidly structured. I just can't expect my dog to walk in heel with attention on me 100% of the time for 3-4 miles. Nor do I want it. Our "fun walk" involves both structure and time for enjoyment.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Howdy strangers!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:42pm PST 
Hellooooo there! From another who isn't around much anymore. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Apr 7 8:01 am

Choosing the Right Dog > what breed does he look like?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 1:42pm PST 
Looks like a Australian cattle dog mix to me. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 9:36 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 3:48pm PST 
Congratulations! He's absolutely precious.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Mon 12:05 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help I fell in love with a dog!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '14 6:13am PST 
I agree with the consensus. Apply anyway. If things are meant to be, they will be. And, having worked with a rescue, I know the first application doesn't always pan out. Sometimes even things don't work out after the adoption and the dog ends up back with the rescue again.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Mar 25 7:27 pm

Sports & Agility > Anyone watching Crufts?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 4:11am PST 
I watched the freestyle (musical freestyle not heelwork to music) portion over the weekend. Wish freestyle got that kind of airtime here in the States! smile

Will probably catch some of the other stuff later on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Mar 10 4:11 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw feeding and training treats

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 7:11am PST 
Just because you feed raw doesn't mean your treats need to be raw too. They CAN be but, in my experience, that adds extra mess and effort that I don't need to worry about. wink You could, for example, put raw ground meat in a food tube and use that to reward your dog. That eliminates some of the mess factor. But it's just as easy to use high-quality treats. Either ones you buy at a store or you make yourself.

I typically use the food rolls (Natural Balance, Pet Botanics, Red Barn, etc.), Wellness Pure Rewards, string cheese, hot dogs, meatballs, home-made liver treats, kibble, etc. It's not a significant portion of the diet and most of it's still healthy on its own. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 25 11:30 am

Senior Dogs > Old Dog comments

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Feb 22, '14 4:43am PST 
Awwww poor you and Sabs! That's a pretty uncalled for statement.

It was a pretty rough moment. Especially since it came from one of our training class classmates. Anyone who's seen Risa work knows she doesn't act like an old dog.

As much as it hurt inside, I didn't let her know it. I hope she didn't mean it the way it sounded.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Apr 6 9:58 am

Senior Dogs > Old Dog comments

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 21, '14 11:45am PST 
Risa's been getting comments like that for ages because of her premature greying. Granted, she is much greyer now and she IS actually "old" now as well. But she doesn't act it.

Whenever people comment about her age, I always reply "Yeah but she doesn't act it!" Which is true. She doesn't act like a stereotypical 10 year old medium-sized dog. But she has slowed down a little bit and she does get sore easier than she used to. She also has some arthritis. But she's still young, spry and occasionally gets mistaken for a puppy. smile

The only time I got offended when someone called her old was after her cancer diagnosis (though she should be free-and-clear, thankfully!). After telling them it was a mammary carcinoma, they said "Well, she is old." That really hurt. I know she's older and these sort of things can happen. It just felt tactless.

She is my first dog as well and thinking of not having her crushes my soul. I totally feel where you're coming from. It will be a very dark day in my world when I lose her. It does make me cry sometimes. I would have to be pretty cold to not! I love her with all my heart and we've been through so much together as well. But I try not to let the opinions of others cloud my view of my spectacular friend. No one knows her like I do. If they want to judge her, that's fine. They're simply naïve and uninformed. And sometimes they're just trying to strike up a conversation and aren't quite sure how. smile I try not to let it bother me too much.

And those sighthounds are definitely masters of the "woe is me" look. I know Risa has it down pat!!! (Though she also has an amazing smile.)
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Apr 6 9:58 am

Sports & Agility > SPr1 title?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 18, '14 4:39pm PST 
You're welcome! I had trouble tracking it down too.

Almost sounds like IPO is goin' all AKC and offering titles within titles. Things that used to be just a part of a title are becoming an entire one. Though I admit I'm not as familiar with IPO as I was with Schutzhund. They are now one in the same.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Feb 18 4:39 pm

(Page 1 of 374: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.