Postings by Bosley

GO!

(Page 1 of 89: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > How to teach my agility dog the "here" command
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Feb 24, '14 8:35pm PST 
Hmmmm ..... I use my handling (body language) for this. A serp cue, FC or shoulder turn should bring your dog towards you and to the next obstacle. If your dog knows your handling system, there should be little need for a word to mean "here".
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Feb 25 6:12 am

Choosing the Right Dog > I want a large breed to do Therapy Work - help!
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Feb 9, '14 6:11pm PST 
Yes, Bernese shed. A lot. It gets everywhere - I even find it in my filing cabinet at work and the dogs do not ever come to work with me. If shedding and fur around the house bother you, I would not recommend a BMD.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Mar 5 11:38 am

Sports & Agility > help with Running ?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 3:38pm PST 
Bump
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 14 7:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Structure?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 4:03pm PST 
Here is a good article about the importance of structure from a performance dog point of view. Why certain structure is important and how everything fits together to create (or not create) an athletic, well built dog.

http://pennvetwdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/9-Zink.pdf

H ere is another article by Helen King (who I have taken a couple online seminars from). This one has pictures to demonstrate some of the concepts she is talking about.

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2009/10/helen-king-on-structur e-evaluation/
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 10 11:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Structure?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 1:42pm PST 
What people mean when they say "structure" is how all the parts of the dogs fit together. Structure impacts how a dog looks and moves. Good structure is determined by relative angles of joints, length of bones and "balance" of those angles and bones. Good structure depends on the particular breed and what it's job originally was. (think of how different the bone structure of a sight hound is compared to a dog in the sporting group).
Different breeds do have different structure - just check out breed standards and you will see detailed descriptions of how a particular breed should be put together. There are general rules to good structure but there are variations in what is accepted between breeds. For example, the Chow is supposed to have a very straight stifle and stilted gait. In any other breed, this would be seen as a major fault and not at all desired.
Bad structure can affect how a dog moves and can lead to injury and joint issues. This is why breeders evaluate their puppies and send (or they should send) the structurally nicest puppies to performance or active homes. Bad structure impacts the soundness of a dog and these are the dogs that tend to break down physically with various soft tissue injuries.
I have taken several seminars on structure and it is all very interesting to see how much structure impacts the entire dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 10 11:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Match - NOT for me. Would like other input from dog savvy people for a friend.
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 5:06pm PST 
Newfoundland - great with kids, loyal, not huge barkers (well, they have a huge bark but don't use it lots), generally friendly. They do shed and drool.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 6:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > This breed is for "experienced dog owners only"?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 9:36am PST 
Sometimes it is ominous. There are many breeds that are "tough" breeds in term of their heritage. They may have been bred to be very suspicious, territorial or aggressive. These breeds need to be in the right homes and with an experienced owner who is aware of these traits and how to handle them.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 15 11:24 am

Sports & Agility > Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 11:37am PST 
Bump
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Mar 25 7:53 am

Food & Nutrition > What to feed chihuahuas?

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 11:49am PST 
It sounds like you are feeding too much. Orijen is much more calorie dense than a food like Iams, so you need to feed a lot less. Since your dogs are to be breeding dogs, I assume they are within breed standard and under 6 pounds. A dog this tiny only needs about 1/3 a cup of food daily and maybe less if they are not very active. Since your dogs are all young, the 1/3 cup is probably good. So,it sounds like you are feeding them double the amount that they should be having, especially if they are getting other treats during the day as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Babe, Jan 5 6:19 pm

Sports & Agility > Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:46pm PST 
Have you tried Canadog? I am not sure about their sizing but I have some stuff from them and it is all good quality.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Mar 25 7:53 am

(Page 1 of 89: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.