Postings by Thea

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Puppy Place > Our DNA test came back
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 6:15pm PST 
Cool! Did you get it at a store, or send away for it? I am very curious about Thea, 'cause she looks like a Border Terrier with a curly tail, but ACTS just like a Jack Russell.

I am gonna go and check out the brand you bought, and see what breeds it includes! Thanks for the info....your test (from looking at Jasper's pic) seems a lot more accurate than a lot of breed tests I have heard about!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Sep 6 1:55 pm

Dog Health > UTI's and home remedies?
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Mon Aug 10, '09 6:44pm PST 
Don't feed kibble---Not any kind--I actually emailed Orijen, about the prospect of feeding it a struvite prone dog. They said it should be fine, but in less than a week, Thea had a major league UTI.

Avoid grains. Feed the food as wet as you can. We are on a raw diet, which has worked wonders so far, but for some reason, is not working too well right now. In addition to Berry Balance, we also give cranberry/vitamin C pills...
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Aug 13 5:51 am

Dog Health > Seizures...

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '09 8:34am PST 
Thea has partial/complex epilepsy and takes phenobarb, 60 mg. 2 times a day. Seizures seem to display a wide array of symptoms. For Thea, it would be long periods of fly-snapping, repetative licking of the air, and seeming to be "somewhere else" mentally, while drooling and having a very fine head tremor.

She went to the vet who did a complete physical, bloodwork, (assumably to check liver function, as liver shunts can exhibit the same symptoms) etc. The thing that shed the most light on her bizarre behavior was a videotape I took when she was having an episode. She has responded well to medication, after adjusting the dose a few times.

Making the videotape was really a turning point for us, because, like you said, the behaviors are very hard to explain. Epilepsy affects the brain with something called "kindling," meaning that after each seizure, the brain becomes patterned, and sort of teaches itself to have more severe seizures down the line.

A really great website that describes all types of epilepsy is:
canine-epilepsy.com
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Manny, Aug 1 1:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > Horizon Legacy

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '09 11:27pm PST 
Wow! Horizon is in Saskatchewan....
I see that they sponsor the Prince Albert, SK SPCA. way to go That is where Thea came from!

I hope my dog food lady starts carrying this, it looks really great!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Brodie Bear, Jul 27 4:03 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Who sings this dog song??

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Mon Jul 20, '09 10:25pm PST 
Aw, jeez....I am a big sap! I must be PMS'ing or something....that was really touching. I had to turn it off 'cause it was getting me all emotional and the boyfriend is hounding me for the computer!

What a great idea. I hope this video gets out there to encourage people to adopt!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Jul 21 7:36 pm

Dog Health > Too Many Treats = UTI?
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Sat Jul 18, '09 2:19pm PST 
I would say yes. Sugar tends to feed infections, so why would the urinary tract be any different?
Thea cannot handle any sort of dry-grain product, i.e. kibble, or she gets a UTI really fast. I can occasionally get away with adding overcooked oats or millet to her raw food, or if I make the Pitcairn "Oats and Eggs" recipe (when I am tight on $$) but usually do not, because her urinary tract is so touchy.

If you are curious, get a pH test strip kit. Test when there is an infection present and when there is not. We use these alot, because I know if Mason starts smelling Thea's "lady parts" laugh out loud she is no doubt getting an infection. He is a good little detector of her UTI's!

I mean a lot of treats, dog or human, are very white carb, sugar and grain heavy products. So I would think it stands to reason that if a dog is pre-disposed to UTIs, that type of food would exacerbate the problem. UTIs, for us, have been a continuing lesson, complete with setbacks. We learn as we go, and try to find out what bothers her and what doesn't.

ETA: And NO! That is not a stupid question. We spent over a year totally lost, until we realized what was bothering Thea was any type of dry, grain-based foods. She currently eats raw, as grain-free as possible, and does great on this diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rocket, Jul 18 3:13 pm

Raw Food Diet > Thank you Dogster for "Raw"

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 3:49pm PST 
Princess, you sound like us! Thea suffered from chronic UTIs, and when we discovered raw, her infections almost completely resolved themselves. I really give a raw, grain-free diet much of the credit for her recovery.....YAY for raw!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 21 12:35 pm

Food & Nutrition > Puppy with UTI - Confused about food???

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 3:38pm PST 
I'm not sure...I have seen them myself and wondered that....I would say probably, as long as they go as low as 4 and as high as 9 or so....
I know nothing about the pool ones, just saw them and wondered if they'd work. The ones I have bought I picked up at a natural food store, intended for people to use.....

Hopefully someone else can help you with that question!

Thea also had those crystals you can feel/see. That's another sort of gross thing I do. Since I can sometimes feel the sediment, after she pees, I will feel the fur right afterwards to see if I can feel any crystals. Yuck! The things we do for our dogs!laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson, Jul 20 5:25 pm

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 12:10pm PST 
It depends on when you ask us!laugh out loud Right now I am feeding different brands of prepared raw (Nature's variety, Primal, Bravo) because my natural dog store had a major freezer breakdown and it was free! (Bad for him, good for us!)

As a general rule, I feed some sort of supermarket meat (beef heart is a big favorite around here) and chicken wings, feet, etc. We also use Sojo's Europa grain-free premix when we are feeding primarily boneless meat. We also go through a lot of Bravo green tripe and Primal "Grinds" (the kind w/ no veggies, just meat, organ and bone) when we use the Sojo's premix.

Thea has never had a problem with any of the raw foods, only kibble. At first I thought it was coincidental, but when it happened several times, I realized it was definately the kibble.

I shouldn't assume, but I was suspecting that with the high pH and crystals you must get struvite crystals? The Berry Balance is very good. We have also tried Animals Apawthecary "Tinkle Tonic" at times, but for general maintainance, I think Berry Balance has been our best bet.

I mean before I fed raw, she either had a UTI, or was on antibiotics. It was a vicious cycle. Raw food has really helped her.

She does really, really love soup...and my vet told me whilst all of this was going on, I could try salting her food, to encourage her to drink more. With her insane love of soup, we sort of kill two birds with one stone--she is getting more liquid, and some salt, as most canned soups are pretty salty, which works well to get her to drink more.

I just read back my food regime and realized how confusing it sounds! We really do bounce around between many different types of foods....never a problem, until I try to sneak kibble in the mix.
If we go out of town with the dogs, I will bring either a grain-free canned food, or Honest Kitchen food for her.

One other suggestion....get a package of pH strips. That way, you will know if the alkalinity starts creeping up, and can adjust the diet, ie, adding more liquids, upping the Berry Balance, etc. accordingly.

Believe me, I understand your frustrations totally. It took us a long time to tweak her diet and figure out what bothered her urinary tract and what doesn't.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Jul 20 5:25 pm

Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 11:23am PST 
Thea gets UTI's frequently. She cannot eat any kibble, or any grains. I feed raw, but was excited about the Orijen grain-free food, even e-mailed Champion Pet Foods to find out if it was okay for a dog with Struvite crystals and high pH of urine--they said it was slightly acidic food and should be fine. Within a week of eating half Orijen, half raw, she had a full blown UTI.

I don't know if it is something about the lack of moisture content in kibble, but whenever we try kibble it always happens. Feed all raw, she is perfect! Good pH, no UTIs....

So know she is on all raw, grain-free food and Solid Gold's "Berry Balance" acidifier.

I know I probably didn't really answer your questions, but wanted to tell you what works for us!

Good Luck! Are UTI's and crystals more common in BTs?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Jul 20 5:25 pm

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.