Postings by Harley (past foster dog)

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Needing a home for my medical mystery shar pei. *please read, very long*
Harley (past- foster dog)

Did someone say- 'walk'??

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:34am PST 
Have you looked into generic Atopica (cyclosporine)?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Needing a home for my medical mystery shar pei. *please read, very long*

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:10pm PST 
I would also suggest contacting Dr Jeff Vidt and see if he has any info or medical advice: http://www.drjwv.com/

He is a vet who has a lot of knowledge of Shar Pei. I don't know if he still works with them but he used to work with a Pei rescue group so maybe they can help you although it is in the Midwest so not near your area.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pit Bull/Shar Pei mix?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:56pm PST 
Maggie-- my foster Shar-Pei Harley also loved kids.
He was somewhat shy with new people and especially men, would keep his distance from strange men until he got to know them, but any kids could run up to him and he'd be very friendly and happy to be petted by them. This may have been due to his past, which was unknown since he was a stray rescue at 5 years old... When my cousin visited with his new baby Harley just loved that kid, and when she was sleeping he'd lay down in front of whoever was holding her at the time and not budge.
He also was protective of the house and car although if someone was invited in he was non-aggressive.

He was ok with my other dogs and cat but had some issues with certain other intact males which seemed to be hormone-related most likely. He was intact when I rescued him and most of the time I had him, so this may have changed after neutering once his testosterone levels went down.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Harley (past foster dog), Nov 15 4:56 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pit Bull/Shar Pei mix?

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:02am PST 
Yes, the Chinese Shar-Pei was bred as a fighting dog in the past, as well as a guard dog. The dogs in the past did not look as much like the dogs you see in the show ring today, they didn't have the huge heads or the massive wrinkles. Actually they looked more like Harley (see my Dogster profile photos.) He is what they now call an "old type" or "old style" Shar-Pei. They did still have wrinkles, but not the massive amounts of deep wrinkles you see in some dogs today.

I would be leery of a APBT/Pei mix because the two breeds are quite a bit different in some ways but I could also see the mixture strengthening some negative traits and I would wonder about what the result might be... Especially if you don't know the temperaments of the parents. Most pitties I know are generally outgoing/friendly with strangers, while Pei tend to be aloof and very protective dogs (but if you don't know the parents it's hard to say for sure). Both breeds can be prone to dog aggression though and I could see that being an issue with a mix. Shar-Pei really need early socialization, so if they aren't able to provide that I would definitely say not to get the puppy.
They also can have a lot of health problems including allergies, eye problems, ear problems, skin problems, immune issues, joint problems, etc...
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Harley (past foster dog), Nov 15 4:56 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The show ring and its effects on dog breeds

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:48pm PST 
Yes the Shar-Pei is an interesting example since their numbers were dwindling when some breeders discovered them and decided to try to bring them back. So the US population increased from a small number of dogs. IIRC they also may have added some dogs of other breeds or unregistered Shar-Pei when trying to bring the breed back. I have an old book that talks a lot about this process but I haven't looked at it in years so I don't remember all the details.
The Shar-Pei is another breed where there are different "types". The dog you see in the show ring now looks different from the dogs they saved in the 70s, and there are some people who breed for the "old type" or "old style" look, which is less extreme as far as wrinkles and "hippo" face.
I got interested in this after I found Harley, who did not look like the typical Pei you see, he was more like the "old type" dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Apr 11 8:38 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Hubby and I are intrigued on Two WAY different dogs

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 12:19am PST 
Oh one other thing about the Shar-Pei-- they give some people rashes! shock
Whenever I put my arm around Harley I got a rash on my arms, and I've heard of the same thing happens to other people when handling Shar-Pei. For me it was only if I put my arms around him because I guess the skin there was more sensitive than my hands.

Their fur also is very difficult to remove from fabric because it is so stiff, and their shed hairs can get stuck in your skin and make painful "splinters". I had to remove Harley's hairs from my feet several times and it was not easy to locate the "splinter" because he was fawn, so he shed skin colored hairs.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sierra, Oct 18 7:19 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Hubby and I are intrigued on Two WAY different dogs

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 5:41pm PST 
All I know about the Puli is they can be quite protective and the grooming is very time-consuming.

I had a foster Shar-Pei (Harley) for 9 months so I know a little more about them. They tend to be fairly independent/aloof dogs, not that easy to train, also can be protective and not always good with other animals although Harley was. They are often one person dogs.
They also have a number of common health problems including skin issues, allergies, entropian and other eye issues.
As far as care of the skin goes, it depends on how wrinkly they are. There are different "types" of Shar-Pei, some people breed for the extreme wrinkles and huge muzzle type, these dogs usually need their wrinkles cleaned out very often and can get lip fold pyoderma and entropian more commonly. There is the "old type" Shar-Pei which are less extreme looking, they are not as wrinkly as adults and they have more moderate muzzles so they don't tend to have the wrinkle problems as much. Harley was the "old type" and never had any issues with his wrinkles and did not need them cleaned because they were not as deep(weren't actual folds) or numerous. He did have allergies though, which are very common in the breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sierra, Oct 18 7:19 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ever second guess your mutt's breeds? Also, OH MY GOSH ABNER?!

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 10:53am PST 
People always thought Harley was a pit bull or a pittie mix...
shrug
Hello people? Wrinkles? Tulip ears? Tightly curled tail? Where do you get APBT from that?

I know Harley is not as wrinkled as the "typical" Shar-Pei (he is more like what you call the 'old fashioned' or 'old style' Pei) but I would still think it was pretty obvious!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Aug 14 7:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ever second guess your mutt's breeds? Also, OH MY GOSH ABNER?!

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 9:59pm PST 
Actually I've seen a lot of Shar-Pei mixes where you can see the Pei right away...or at least I can. Not the wrinkles, but there is often something in the ear set and the face shape that give it away. Sometimes it's the stance or the build as well.

Actually I saw these two dogs on a shelter website once who were listed as Shar-Pei and Basset Hound and you could totally tell! One had the Pei height, the other had the short Basset legs but both were very obvious.

I saved the photo:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/peibasset.jpg
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Aug 14 7:32 am

Dog Health > Collars and injuries

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 8:35am PST 
I have found far too many strays without collars, and in most cases was never able to find their owners.
Harley was one of those dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Harley (past foster dog), Jan 24 8:35 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.