GO!

(Page 1 of 218: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Bullmastiff > i wish i would have explored this before answers.
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 8:28pm PST 
Bullmastiffs are a breed that has a high prey-drive (want to eat smaller fuzzy things), especially if she wasn't raised with cats and socialized to accept them as part of her family. The same can go for a small dog or even a big dog for that matter.

However, if she is living in a situation where she is going to be exposed to all the above -- it is obviously not an acceptable behavior and if kept in that enviornment, onen day somebody or something is going to get seriously injured.

I start to worry about the living situation when I hear owners express fear of their own dog. I always say what's the point of having a dog if you have to walk on eggshells constantly around them? (Then again, I have very high expectations out of my dogs, their behavior and mannerisms, and feel as though I should be able to do anything I want to them at any given time or put them in any situation and not have to worry. I am the one running the show, not them -- and they know this. If a Bullmastiff has an owner that cannot keep them in check, things will spiral out of hand quickly.)

I worry that if this dog is that dangerous and you have to walk on such eggshells around her that she is a huge liability to you and potentially like owning a loaded handgun that could go off at anybody or anything at any given time.

My best advice would be a to give her tons of structure and to take her to a (good reputable) behaviorist to get things sorted out before they get too far out of control, because it sounds like the bad behavior is escalating rather quickly.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 8 2:49 pm

Bullmastiff > Bullmastiff Breeders
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 10:57am PST 
AWE! I am jealousssssss.

Who are the parents?!

ETA: If the dam is Samantha, I'm going to be even more jealous. Didn't realize he was breeding her again. I inquired about a puppy from that bitch for show, but they had all been scooped up last year dangit!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bella, Mar 28 8:32 am

Puppy Place > Weight Of BullMastiff Puppy 5 Months

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 10:42am PST 
P-mail me your e-mail address again. Or better yet, I'll just send them to you on FB.

There's 4 -- all red. 2 boys, 2 girls. I like the boy called "Big Red", but Thickburger is cute, too. The girls are dolls and they are STACKED already. They have Sabo/Nyx eyes, too. Red has a white blaze on his face which is quite unattractive, so I don't know if he'll ever set foot into the ring, but I still think he's beautiful. Definitely my pick puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kahuna, May 20 11:16 am

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 7:41am PST 
Hey, honey!

Have you seen the Sabo x Lucy pics? (That would be --- uhm, Tomba's niece/nephews and aunts/uncles.) I am still workin' on prying the big red puppy out of Bill's hands. There was nothing of the striped variety in there though. I was quite dissapointed in that (as was Bill). confused
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, May 20 11:16 am

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Tue May 18, '10 8:04pm PST 
Honey, he isn't a Bullmastiff. Plain and simple. I've seen many-a-bull in my day, and there there might be a fraction -- if any in there, but I would bet my last dime he isn't pure-bred. However, that doesn't make him any less of a fantastic companion...
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, May 20 11:16 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Why is it on some forums & breeders.. (semi rant, semi real question)
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat May 8, '10 10:43am PST 
There is no mercy on the Bullmastiff list I'm on! big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ACE, May 8 11:06 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Gordon Setters

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Apr 29, '10 7:25am PST 
THE GORDON SETTER, continuing to paint setter variance.....oh gosh do I need to learn you guys a thing or two!!! .....is the hardest of the setters, never has been all that popular, so breeders have most frequently done right by him every step of the way. There was a black-and-tan setter of Scotland, but it was the devotions of a Duke of Gordon to perfect this into being a breed. He was extremely discerning and wanted a highly trainable, handler-loyal and on the mark working dog with a strong work ethic. This dog, unlike the other two, has rather jarring contrasts in that he is far more discerning and indeed can be one-personish....now of course this is done at "setter speed," but given that the English and Irish are rather head-in-the-clouds with those perspectives, it does set him apart. A tiny bit of a German result on a Scottish dog given the Duke's efforts....in the dog's character, in his reputation for being slow to mature and a bit of a handful until he does. Still, he is very settery - charming, social and gentle, and a bit more dignified than the other two setters as well. Let's just call the Irish the NONgentlemanly setter The Gordon is a GREAT "to function" study, as in the field he was meant to work closer to the handler than his setter cousins. This brings out in the Gordon his more discerning nature. It develops more of a handler specificity that leads him to be less socially naive, more naturally inclined towards handler focus, and makes for him being the one setter who does not have to deal with accusations as regards low intelligence. This of course is simply due to the Gordon being more readily trained, BUT he is also more sure of himself and a little more dominant in character, so on the up side you get more handler focus and basic OB aptitude, but on the other face a dog who is not a pushover. He will tolerate stern handling no better than his setter cousins, but he does need self assured direction....a gentle leader, buta a good one. He's still a setter. Full of vigor and zest, social reliability, lots of emotion, which in him, layered on his handler devotion/one personishness, and slight dominance, can lead to occasional jealous behavior. He's socially solid, but is the only one of the three setters who has it in him to check strangers out and indeed at times to even protect. He is a hard, ethusiastic and joyous worker who is endlessly game for the handler....loves praise, has an awesome work ethic, and his loyalty is immense. He is less everyone's new best friend....whereas the English will gently love anyone who breathes air and the Irish will appoint himself as the entertainment "why are you just standing there, silly person" committee, the Gordon is more distinctly his owner's dog. He can show discipline and focus, can take hard training without offense, but is still a soft, sweet and emotional dog of amazing devotion and endless style. VASTLY underrated in dogdom.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abbey, Apr 29 2:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Gordon Setters

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Apr 29, '10 7:04am PST 
I love Gordon's, too! I think Tiller has a looooong one somewhere...thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Abbey, Apr 29 2:27 pm

Dog Health > Being with your pet when they awaken from anesthetic

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 4:02pm PST 
Definitely a no.

I am a technician, and wake up animals often -- but have also woken up my own dogs on numerous occasions from anesthesia.

It makes NO difference (in my opinion) who is waking them up, or at least from what I see with my dogs. They are going to be completely disoriented no matter what -- and not care who is there. Zeus was a howler -- major howler -- coming out of surgery. He practically echoed through the entire clinic the WHOLE DAY. It was also hard to keep the big lug on the stretcher on the way back to recovery as he woke up disoriented and confused. Some dogs can wake up incredibly rough (going "from zero to sixty" in no-time) or be quite vocal and swimming with their paws.

From my point of view, there is no place for an already worried owner in waking up a pet from surgery. I totally get that owners want to be there for their pets and comfort them -- but believe stress breeds stress, and can prevent the staff from doing their job as it should be done -- for the benefit of the pet -- with more bodies in their way and the added pressure of having an owner looking over their shoulder.

ETA: The way an animal wakes up does depend on what kind of cocktail is used as an anesthetic and/or as a pre-anesthetic injection, also! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Winnie, Apr 30 10:36 am

Behavior & Training > Dog pooping inside- Please help! Possible reasons below
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 11:46am PST 
Is she muching throughout the day, or on a once or twice daily feeding schedule? (You said she's getting some raw -- so I assume she's getting meals, but just want to double check.)

Sometimes it's harder to potty (er, poop) train a dog if it's getting free-fed vs. meals because dogs have such a strong gastrocolic reflex that they often need to go outside soon after eating -- especially pups!

Your girl is a beaut! Look for an invite to the Bodacious Bullmastiffs group from us! wave
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lily, Apr 28 11:51 am

(Page 1 of 218: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.