Postings by Becky RNCL

GO!

(Page 1 of 84: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > When Should I Start Taking Her Out?
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 6:12pm PST 
http://rollinwithrubi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/two-week-staycation-in-beg inning.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Smokey, Nov 26 10:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Issues passing dogs, particularly in close apartment building quarters
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 10:45pm PST 
Unfortunately, time at the dog park and at daycare are not going to help in this situation, in fact they might make it worse. You are reinforcing the fact that other dogs=fun and playtime and excitement. As well he is getting rehearsal after rehearsal of rude behavior which at best just reinforces him for it and at worse may lead to an attack by another dog which can affect HIS social skills. You need to work on teaching him focus on YOU, ESPECIALLY when other dogs are around. What I would recommend is to look for some youtube videos on teaching loose leash walking or eye contact (check out Kikopup as a starting point). Ideally the appearance of another dog becomes a cue to re-orient to you. In the mean time as a band-aid measure you can bring some food with you and feed him while you pass another dog. Or if there is way to avoid other dogs such as the stairs instead of elevator, use that.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Denver, Aug 4 4:22 pm

Dog Health > Severe Separation Anxiety

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 7:10pm PST 
For serious separation anxiety, exercise will NOT CURE IT. You can run a dog into the ground, but when they panic, which is what SA is, it does NOT matter how much exercise the dog has had. If the dog is bored, or hyperactive, or understimulated, then yes, it would be part of a comprehensive training plan. But for actual separation anxiety, no. I am so frustrated by people who are so dismissive of pharmacological assistance. A dog with severe separation anxiety is SUFFERING. When my dog is suffering, I will do whatever it takes to help them. In the long term, yes, I need to consider what effects, if any, medication/diet/etc will have on my dog's health and well-being. But when a dog is suffering, I consider it unethical to allow them to continue to do so if I have a way to help them.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Adam, Jul 12 7:28 am

Dogs & Travel > Dogs from British Columbia, need your help

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 12:04pm PST 
Saltspring Island is great! I live on Vancouver Island but I have a friend whose family is from SSI and your dogs will loooove it. I do use flea control as well because this area is super-flea-y but I have never worried about heartworm either smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 16 1:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed for my parent's ranch...

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Mon May 2, '11 9:31am PST 
I vote for another rescue smile There are plenty of dogs in shelters or foster homes that can meet their needs.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Lucille, May 5 10:52 am

Behavior & Training > Same-sex aggression?
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 3:08pm PST 
Another plus for a mature rescue is that raising a puppy with a reactive adult dog in the house is really, really difficult. I know that Becky was not a good influence on Marlo. Always working them separately takes up a huge amount of time.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ava, Apr 26 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Seeking other methods...

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:40pm PST 
Savannah, that is totally Becky's theme song laugh out loud

Did you find anything helpful in the article I posted in your other thread?

I don't know how your home is configured, but it might be something to consider to give both ladies a "cooling off" period. Becky and Marlo have had one scrap in three and a half years, and Marlo and Dolly had a couple of "incidents". After any scuffles, I kept the two involved dogs separate for several days...up to a week. This helps all the stress hormones return back to normal, and also allows you to be able to relax wink (I was nervous wreck after my dogs would have an altercation). I know you said Cookie can't be crated, but how about an x pen, or baby gates, or tethers?
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by Bhaira, May 12 2:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Smoking/Drinking at the dog park

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sat Apr 23, '11 8:39pm PST 
This may be a dumb question, but isn't drinking in public places illegal? Like, at ALL? Or is this just a Canadian thing? Smoking doesn't bother me personally, and for that matter drinking reasonably doesn't bother me either, but I would be SHOCKED to see people drinking anywhere in a park setting! (I would be far less shocked, to be truthful, if they were smoking the type of smoking that Dr Watson refers to laugh out loud)
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, May 7 3:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Frustrated!(long)

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sat Apr 23, '11 8:07pm PST 
Shadow sounds like he does need exercise, but he also sounds like he's pretty tightly wound and experiencing stress and isn't able to deal with it (common in lots of dogs). Some dogs need to be taught how to relax, its not just a matter of running them until they pass out (especially if the exercise they are doing is high intensity...sounds like his might be as indicated by the humping and leash pulling). My GSD mix is like this.
Aside from physical and mental exercise I would suggest looking into some calming exercises, such as Karen Pryor's relaxation protocol. There is a great book called Chill Out Fido that is awesome for owners of hyper, adolescent dogs. Control Unleashed is a very widely recommended book which is also great but I find is a bit more advanced and agility-targeted. As an exercise to see what you are dealing with, you could make a list over a week of events that happen in your pup's life that cause him to "go crazy", and a list of all the times when you think he is relaxed. That will give you a good starting point.

Oh and I watched the treadmill video..it wasn't bad but I am concerned about picking up the dog to put him on and also the tying to it with a leash. I've just started teaching my GSD to go on the treadmill, I did it by shaping and completely without a leash. Today was our fourth or fifth session and she did a good five minutes. However if I had tried to use the method in the video with my APBT mix he would be traumatized and scared of the mill for EVER lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Shadow *CGC*CL2*CL3*, Apr 25 12:28 pm

Behavior & Training > A bored, frustrated, wired dog with no outlet--long post
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sat Apr 23, '11 12:14am PST 
I'm going to offer a slightly different approach to this problem (and believe me Mikey, I KNOW what you are going through.) Zoomies are often a stress release behavior. Why would he do them after a walk? Well, it sounds like walks for you and him can be stressful. So although you are ARE providing him with physical exercise, its possible that the stress on the walk is what is being expressed.

I'll give you an example. Since we moved and have yet to fence our yard, the dogs haven't gotten much walking as exercise. Last weekend I decided to suck it up and I walked the two of them for an hour early in the morning and then took Becky on a 2 hour walk with a group from a local rescue. Awesome! She should have been beat, right? Well the next day her barking (our biggest issue in the house) was off the charts. I was so annoyed...after all, exercising a dog is the cure for all problems, right? (Thanks to CM this seems to be a common idea). A friend of mine pointed out that ok, yes, she got exercise, but this was HIGH STRESS exercise. And Becky is not even so much reactive as she is just very easily overaroused and hypervigilant. She didn't have reactive episodes, but the entire experience for her had her in a stress hormone stew. And then this resulted in ridiculous behavior the next day.

Anyways, I've been working on finding low-stress but still mentally draining exercises for Becky. I don't know what Mikey's general temperament is like but for Becky, she often needs assistance to be able to relax. Some things we have been working on:

Karen Pryor's Relaxation Protocol
Learning Massage and TTouch
Exercises from Control Unleashed
Exercises from Chill Out Fido
Teaching her to walk on a treadmill
Obedience around the house (even sometimes clicker training with kibble can send Becky over threshold).

I hope you can find some help from this...Becky is going to be 8 this summer and she teaches me new things every day but she gives me gray hair in the process wink
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Apr 27 1:49 pm

(Page 1 of 84: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.