Postings by Daisy ♥

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dog Health > My dog whines, chews on himself, then throws up.
Daisy- ♥

How can you say- no to this face?

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 11:53am PST 
If the vet can't find any cause for it, could it be behavior that he learned? When we were in puppy class with Daisy years ago, the trainer there told us about a woman who had a dog that was constantly vomiting for no reason whatsoever. The vet couldn't find anything and said it had to be a training issue. She was skeptical but took the dog to our trainer. They eventually discovered that when the dog was a puppy, she would overeat and vomit up what she couldn't hold and the woman would pick her up and love on her a little bit, like someone would with a child. Well, the dog associated this with positive reinforcment and thought she was being rewarded for vomiting...so she taught herself how to do it. I don't know what the trainer did to help her fix it, but she did tell us that it could often be difficult to correct an unintentional behavior like that once the dog has learned it.

This probably doesn't help but just wanted to throw the story out there. Do you think he might be picking up some loose fur then gagging on it?
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Oct 20 5:01 pm

Dog Health > How do you know when something needs a vet visit?
Daisy- ♥

Barked: Sun Jul 5, '09 12:39pm PST 
Watch for swelling of the area and for allergic reaction (swelling of the snout, face, etc.) or behavior changes, lethargy, not eating/drinking, etc. If she has any of that, you might want to take her in.

Daisy has been bitten/stung before and each time we take her to the e-vet, they give her a steroid shot, some Benadryl and have us hold hot compresses on the area to draw out any venom. For some reason, she seems to be the one that gets targeted for things - the other dogs haven't ever had to go but she's been 3 or 4 times for this. Luckily, it hasn't been necessary this year so far.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Molly, Jul 5 10:27 pm

Dog Health > scared to spay - need some encouragement

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Sat Feb 21, '09 3:03pm PST 
Daisy was spayed when she was about 8 months old, I think - she only weighed five pounds at the time. She did just fine. As a precaution, we had the vet put her on a heart monitor during the surgery. They did the pre-surgery bloodwork and used an anesthesia that they called a "reversible gas". I don't know exactly what that was but most of the vets here use that instead of more traditional anesthesia medications, I'm told. All of that cost a little bit more but for my peace of mind, it was worth it.

I wonder what exactly went wrong with your friend's dog. Was it the anesthesia or maybe some other medical problem like a heart condition or the blood not clotting properly? The only dog I ever knew that died during a surgery was because they didn't know the dog had undiagnosed hemophilia and they were unable to get the bleeding stopped.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 7:58 am

Dog Health > Tapeworm medicine

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 5:55pm PST 
We had Drontal Plus a few months back when Rufus had tapeworms. We gave it to all the dogs but Daisy had violent projectile vomiting for two days - we'll never use that again. We've had other pills that she handled much better - she just pooped out the tapeworms the next day. Gross but better than all that vomiting. Wish I could remember what pills those were... thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scrappy, Feb 7 1:47 pm

Dog Health > help help Pups face is swollen and i am in the middle of Nowhere!!

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 2:36pm PST 
We have a lot of allergic reactions at our house. We keep Benadryl on hand just for that very purpose...it's saved us several times.

Logan has allergic reactions from his rabies shots. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours, sometimes several.

Daisy has allergic reactions to all kinds of things but mostly bug bites. She's been bitten by spiders, ants, stung by a wasp - allergic reactions each time. Her's are usually within 15-20 minutes of the event.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Xena, Nov 29 8:14 pm

Puppy Place > I'm purebred- and I'm NOT a Westie! Vent
Daisy- ♥

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 2:23pm PST 
Mom took one glance at the pic on your post and knew right away that you were a powder puff CC. So there are some of us who can tell...

Don't feel bad...no one ever thinks I'm a chihuahua either. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Tucker James, Nov 21 11:24 am

Dog Health > Liver enzymes

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 2:19pm PST 
Daisy had elevated liver enzymes after getting some kind of gastric ulcer. The ER-vet had us go back to our regular vet a couple weeks later for more bloodwork. They came back normal then, normal again at her next checkup a few months later and normal again after her latest checkup last month. So, it was just a one-time thing. Hopefully it'll be the same with you.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Irena Ted, Nov 20 10:22 pm

Dog Health > Black Poop?

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 8:09pm PST 
If you pup poops dried blood, you'll know it. It's very black and tar-like and it has a very distinctive smell...not at all like poop normally smells.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy ♥, Nov 14 8:09 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Crafts for Shelter Dogs and Cats?

Daisy- ♥

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 6:11pm PST 
One thing you could do is have them make a couple of bulletin boards for the shelter to post a picture of the Pet of the Week.

Use magnetic dry erase boards and scrapbooking supplies. You could have one for dogs and one for cats and let them decorate it however they want. With it being magnetic, it's easy for the pictures to be easily replaced by shelter staff - all they have to do is print the picture and maybe a little description and post it somewhere near the front door.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jasmine, Oct 28 4:59 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Crafts for Shelter Dogs and Cats?
Daisy- ♥

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 6:07pm PST 
I know braided fleece toys have been mentioned but they're really great and I found a better way (for me) to do them where you don't use as much fabric.

Instead of braiding three strips and and knotting each end, I just take two strips and tie one knot after the other, keeping them as close as possible. They go really quickly and last longer than the braids.

Our Daisy likes to chew fleece and grinds her teeth like little scissors to cut the fabric so if we braid them, she gets through one or two strips in just a few seconds and the toy is totally unraveled. The knots are a LOT harder for her to chew through, so the toys last weeks and months instead of seconds.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jasmine, Oct 28 4:59 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.