Postings by Mr. BoJangles

GO!

(Page 1 of 196: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Ok, need a little help with feeding BoJangles. Long
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 6:59am PST 
Hi guys!

Bo is having some major urinary issues lately. In December/January he was urinating crystals. There was so much of them in his urine you could see them floating in the sample. The urinalysis showed that he had a high pH and the slide sample of his urine was completely covered in crystals and white blood cells. I had him xrayed and he didn't show any stones but the vet said they still may be there. Anyway, he was put on Baytril for two weeks along with Vitamin C. His recheck two weeks later showed that everything was back to normal.

Fast forward to about a week and a half ago,I was cleaning the floors and found a spot that was less than 24 hours old where he had urinated. It was dried and sparkling and he started licking himself, which he never does.

This urine sample showed his pH was through the roof, again crystals, but this time not a white blood cell to be found. Vet isn't thinking infection but put him on Baytril again and vit. C to bring the pH down.

She also prescribed the Hills w/d canned. She said it will help with the crystals and because he is slightly overweight, it won't add pounds like the c/d diet would.

I normally don't take the prescription diets but because he is having such troubles, I decided to take it for now. I am, of course, less than enthused with the ingredients and hoping there is something comparable out there. He was eating kibble, Eagle Pack low fat adult prior to all this. I am more than happy to keep him on all canned food for the rest of his life and he won't complain either.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance for any help. Both the vet and I are very frustrated because its not getting better and I'm lost as to what to do for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 21 8:26 am

Dog Health > Question about urine
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 10:05am PST 
Hi pups.

Around Christmas/New Years I noticed Bo was paying very close attention to his "ninkus". He doesn't usually acknowledge that he even has a penis, doesn't clean it, etc...

Well I took him in to the vet and they ran a urinalysis and long story short his pH was off and his urine was full of some sort of "stuff". You could actually see it floating in the sample and when they ran it and looked at the slides it was full of whatever the stuff was. He was put on strong antibiotics (I can't remember the name) and 10 days of Vitamin C to fix the pH. The recheck two weeks later showed his urine was spot on normal.

Fast forward to this week. I was cleaning up our hardwood floors and in my dads room I noticed something sparkly on the floor near the two legs of his dresser. Upon closer examination it was urine that was completely crystalized. I clean the floors almost daily so I know it was recent. He is a puggle so his housebreaking isn't 100% and it isn't out of the norm for me to find accidents, so that doesn't worry me.

My question: Does urine crystallize as it sits normally? I don't ever recall seeing crystals in any of his or his puggle sisters urine accidents before, but then again I don't pay that close of attention to the puddles.

We have been forcing water since the original incident and I have not noticed any further discharge from his prepuce like the first time.

Also: What would cause a neutered male to have urinary issues? Our vet was afraid he was going to block with how bad the first incident was and told us its rare for a neutered male dog to have this.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Samson, Feb 12 9:16 pm

Dog Health > Reyna's spay has been scheduled

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Tue Jan 11, '11 8:03am PST 
When I had Bo neutered I was a wreck. I know he isn't the size of your big gal, but he was the first dog I ever raised from a puppy and he is my baby!

The thing that broke my heart was when they took him from me. He was so happy to see them, he just loves people, and went walking down the hall and then stopped to see where I was. I knew they were going to cage him and he HATES being caged. That was actually the worst part for him. They called me and asked me to pick him up early because he was awake and screaming in the cage.

Its nerve wracking for sure in any size dog and while it is scary, try to keep positive. We will be thinking of you guys!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Reyna, Jan 11 3:21 pm

Dog Health > Vetrinary oncology

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 9:26am PST 
For Baileys MCT's we just have our regular vet do the removals and biopsys and such. She has had two surgeries to remove 4 tumors, all of which were graded as 2's.Even though they came back as grade 2's she said that we were fine to wait until there were a few bumps before the next surgery. Our vet did send us to the oncologist to deal with Winnie's melanoma and we got two opinions while there. The cost to treat her was going to be starting at $5000.00 and the first doctor said I was giving her a death sentence for not treating her with their recommended protocol. The second doctor said if it were his dog he would take a wait and see approach because her original tumor removal came back as a melanoma but not the normal kind they usually see.

Winnie is still doing awesome and I am glad I didn't do the expensive procedures. They would have stressed her out and I probably would have to declare bankruptcy.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tubby, Dec 13 11:09 am

Dog Health > Could this be Pannus?

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 7:51am PST 
Winnie has Pannus and that isn't what her eyes look like. Hers started at the inside corners towards her nose and spread out. It is the thickest towards her nose and the outside edges have broken up some with medication. She still can't see well, but she has other eye conditions on top of Pannus.

When I looked at your pictures, it very much reminded me of Bo's eyes. He has almost what looks like the color "leaked" and spread to the whites. He doesn't have any eye issues himself, so I just assumed it was just the way his eyes were.

Not saying it couldn't be Pannus, just doesn't really look like the Pannus I have seen.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mr. BoJangles, Dec 9 7:51 am

Dog Health > Need to collect a urine sample....
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 7:31am PST 
And just wondering what the time limit on keeping the sample is. Bo has an appointment at 4:20 today. The licking of the ninkus progressed to frequent urination and he had what looked like some pus coming out of the prepuce.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 9 8:44 am

What I Love About Dogster > The perceptions towards those who are low income dog owners...

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:55am PST 
I am very low income, just about poverty level. Now, I do live with my parents and they help when possible, but I buy the majority of the things the dogs need. This past year was very rough with the dogs health and I ended up maxing out my credit cards to treat them. But they did get all the treatments they needed. I have had to cut back on things for them. They were eating super premium foods but now are eating cheaper foods. I stay away from grocery store brands but their food is definetely a step down. They aren't getting the collars, toys, beds etc I used to buy often.

If I didn't do some cutbacks I would probably have to find another home for one of them. It would absolutely kill me to do that and honestly I don't know how I could. I feel that as long as I am getting them the best quality food for what I can afford and they are being fed, then we can stay together. They all get the exercise and love that they have always gotten and they are very happy dogs. I am also doing some homecooking for them, which helps stretch the food out and they like people food more than anything anyway. I have found a supply of last years venison so they will be getting homemade dehydrated treats and for Christmas I think I will do homemade dog cookies. I am also trying to come up with homemade things, like collars.

They are my best friends and my only reason to get out of bed in the mornings. They may not have the flashy expensive stuff they used to have, but they do have me and each other and they don't seem to be any less happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Gunner, Mar 31 2:09 pm

Dog Health > how to dispose of heartworm pills and other medicines

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:38am PST 
My vet takes open meds and will give them to other patients for free. They gave me a bottle of metacam that someone couldn't use and it was close to expiration date but said it was still ok. I would check with the vet to see if they would do the same or even a shelter.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Dec 4 9:58 am

Dog Health > Kind of embarrassing question

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 2:21pm PST 
It sort of evolved from Neener. When I brought Bo home as a pup he had the tiniest little boy bits I had ever seen. It honestly looked like an outie belly button. I started saying he had a "teeny neenie weenie" and then his nickname became neener. Somehow it evolved into ninkus and when we are playing chase I will say "Bo. Im gonna pinch your Ninkus!" and of course he takes off running. (I dont pinch it, by the way).wink

I always come up with strange things for the dogs. I think you would have to be in my mind to even begin to understand them. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Dec 1 3:08 pm

Dog Health > Kind of embarrassing question
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 12:57pm PST 
Thanks! It isn't getting stuck out, its just coming out. He isn't one to even pay attention to his ninkus so I don't know if it being out surprised him or what. He was sitting upright against the couch, sort of like a person, and just staring down at it.

He isn't a huge water drinker either, so if that increases I will definetely call the vet. I tried to catch him urinating on our walk today but of course he went on all the grassy surfaces instead of the snow.

Thanks again and I will keep an eye on him!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Dec 1 3:08 pm

(Page 1 of 196: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.