Postings by Indiana Jones

GO!

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Feeding Guidelines - Too high??
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:37pm PST 
Maxwell,
The pictures of Indy on the site are old. He has always had the hourglass shape from above. Still does for the most part. I see the weight in his belly area where his stomach doesn't look tucked up as much. I have never really been concerned with his weight until recently. After my husband and I separated in May of 2012, his eating changed. I assume from depression. Once he started eating regular again (about a month or so after), his weight began to fluctuate a little more. I also am starting to see his age. I think he hurts himself easier now and has times where he appears to have a sore or tender leg. He recently had been limping on his front right leg for about a week. He jumps a lot and plays hard, but I feel as though his bones may be less forgiving at times. Being that it's winter, he has less interest in staying out for a longer walk. He prefers to stay inside when the weather is cold. I have to keep the treadmill down for him. He actually likes going on that. But I have to watch him to make sure nothing happens.

Scooter,
Indy weighs about 19lbs. He is at my Moms most days during the week and he is tired when he comes home, so he usually just lounges and sleeps. Indy loves carrots and other vegatables and his Wellness treats. I have Booda and Blue Buffalo bones that he may get once a week. Once in a while he will get a few bites of whatever meat I might be eating (steak, chicken). No junk food.

You consider the canned food a treat? I just wonder if I should cut back on the canned and give him more dry and use the canned just so he finishes it rather then trying to include it as half his diet.

Tessie,
Wellness is supposed to be a good quality food. I guess that's what I need to consider as well. Like you said, less is fine with higher quality.

Lily & Conker,
Yes….when I read the suggested amounts and calculate the amount for his weight, I have never fed that much.

Thanks for all the replies

hail
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jan 18 4:52 am

Food & Nutrition > Feeding Guidelines - Too high??
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:37am PST 
I feed Wellness canned and dry. Sometimes I combination feed. The pate says 3/4 to 1 1/4 cans per day per 15lb. of body weight. The stew says 3/4 to 1 can per day per 8lbs. of body weight. Indy weighs about 19lbs. I would say he may be 1 to 1.5 lbs over weight due to less activity during winter and probably his age. He's 8 and 1/2 yrs. old. He likes the Wellness, but I really think those amounts are excessive. If I were to feed even the low end of what they recommend, I think it would be too much. According to the feeding guidelines, Indy would get over a can of pate and 2 of the stew per day. He always has dry available. I want to make sure I am not under feeding him. I usually give a healthy 1/4 cup of wet and 1/4 cup of dry when I combination feed. If I just give canned, I will give 1/3 can of pate or 1/2 can of stew per feeding @ 2 times a day.

Dry food says 17-20 lbs. feed 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups.

There are so many choices for foods these days which makes you question what you're feeding.

Indy seems to have a sensitive stomach at times. He spits up now and then and sometimes his stomach makes noise. He spends time at my Moms and may get into things the bird drops out of his cage once in a while, but nothing too excessive.

What and how much do you feed your dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jan 18 4:52 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Does Indiana feel sorrow?

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 9:11pm PST 
Sorry for the long post....

Last night we had to put my soon to be ex husband's dog, Kenya to sleep. I never made her a Dogster page, so I am sorry I don't have any pictures. My old computer recently had to be replaced and I have yet to move all my information over.

Kenya was 16 yrs old this past Monday, 9/24, and she has been in failing health for a few months now and has been on pain meds for a while. The pills were $120 for a 30 day supply. I had no problem paying for her meds as long as she wasn't in pain. She went downhill faster the last few months. It first started with her slowing down from having trouble with the porch steps (falling up or down them), to losing a lot of weight. When she walked, her steps were a couple of inches along vs. a standard stride. It's hard to imaging, but she looked like she tried to move fast and went nowhere fast too. Our vet said she was just old and had tumors and putting her through tests wouldn't really prevent the inevitable because of her age. He did say she wasn't in pain, but she needed the meds to keep her moving. My Mom had her most of her life since she was never happy in our condo. But Indy would go to my Moms a couple of times a week and almost every day since my husband left in May. So he and Kenya were close.

We made the decision (not easy I can assure you) to put her to sleep last night. Me, my Mom and Uncle took her. I had to leave the room after saying goodbye frown

I had emailed my husband in Aug. about her deteriorating condition I asked if he wanted to be there if it didn't happen naturally, or if he wanted to bury her or have her ashes, etc. All he said was he appreciated me and my Mom looking after her and to let him know how much the vet bills were.

He wouldn't even show up for this. I sent him a message to inform him of what was happening. Aside from a few back and forth discussions as to why, he said that 'he was sorry, but couldn't be there tonight' or something to that affect, and thanked me for dealing with this. Not surprised since he never once came to see her after he left. UGH....Anyway, Kenya had really bad diarreah for about the last week and lost a lot of her weight (normally about 50-60 lbs. to probably 40 or so) in the last few weeks. She had trouble opening her mouth to chew and didn't want to eat at all yesterday. The diarreah was really bad and uncontrollable. Her breathing had changed as well in the past couple of days and the mess from her not being able to hold her bodily functions was uncontrollable and a lot for my Mom to bear seeing her this way. Although she is semi used to it with all the animals we have had.

I guess I am also justifying our decision. My Uncle said it was certainly the right decision. Kenya was barely able to walk and no amout of Imodium was helping. We are thinking colitis from all the meds. She was not comfortable.

At this point her quality of life was not there. She couldn't be left alone for more then a couple of hours and had to be guided up and down the porch steps or she would tumble.

The hardest part is second guessing the decision. I think we all do this? Both Mom and I were really hoping it would happen naturally, but it didn't and it was just too much to watch her looking like she wanted out. It seemed she had some sense of awareness, but when she wouldn't eat and stopped even sniffing the ground, I think she was in a state of unawareness and was just going through the motions of what she knew.

I left Indy home all day yesterday. I knew we were going last night and I didn't want him to be there or sense Mom being upset even if she holds it in. Indy is sensitive to human emotion and has always tried to comfort me when I was going through a tough time. When he went to her place today, Mom said he sniffed around a lot and looked worried and a bit sad. After we got home tonight he looked at me with very sad eyes and even his body language when he sat looked sad.

I am trying to remain normal, but he senses I am faking it. I don't think Indy has a complete grasp on what happened, but I am sure he senses something isn't right since she isn't here anymore.

Is there anything I can do for Indy to make sure he doesn't get depressed? He was not himself for several weeks (even didn't eat like he normally did) after my husband left, and I really don't want him going through that feeling of loss and not understanding why again. I'm sure he will miss her. I think if my attitude is positive, he should be ok. It's just hard to hide certain feelings and I think he sees through me when I fake it.

Any advice is appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 30 8:07 pm

Senior Dogs > Upset with a friend, not sure where to put this

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:33pm PST 
I don't blame you for saying what you did. Most of us would think the same, but don't always have the guts to say so. I agree with you in that this friend should NOT own another dog. Does she have any kids? I know a woman who has kids and will get a dog out of guilt from a divorce. Then something happens (not well trained, runs away etc.), then she will give it away and gets another. The issues are not these poor dogs that need a home, it's the owners who don't take the time to train them or get them for the wrong reasons. Anyway, getting OT, but your friend is wrong. If she gets offended, it's because she is guilty for wanting another dog for whatever reason and knows it's the wrong reason.

Best of luck and keep speaking your mind. If she is a true friend, she will get over it and hopefully come to her senses.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 7:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > Fish oil supplement amount

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 2:57pm PST 
Thanks Mika. I'll get the Vit E too then. Indy is so sensitive, so I want to make sure I don't over do anything I give him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Indiana Jones, Feb 8 2:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > Fish oil supplement amount
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:05pm PST 
I'm not sure if this should be here or in Dog Health....

I want to give Indy fish oil. He gets dryer skin in the winter and his coat could use a little help. Not that it's too dull, I just think it can be better.

I bought fish oil softgels from CVS. Heart, Skin & Heart health with Omega-3 fact acids 300mg . Is this kind ok? Each soft gel is 1000mg. Do i just puncture the softgel and add it to his food? How much can I give him? He's about 18lbs.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Indiana Jones, Feb 8 2:57 pm

Dog Health > Flea Infestation

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 5:22am PST 
Yes, spray the whole yard. My Mom used stuff called Seven. You mix it on the hose. I think there is a powder too for closer to the house. It seemed to work really well. Her yard was where the fleas came from but it helped a lot. We also treated the dogs of course. Time will tell (Spring) to see if there is another problem this year.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 8:00 pm

Dog Health > Comfortis gave my baby horrible side affects!

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 5:21am PST 
Okami,

Dogs don't sweat. She is in some discomfort if she's shaking a lot. I would see if you can borrow the money and take her in to the vet right away. Reactions are never a good thing. You can give plain Benadryl for scratching and inflamation. I think it's 1mg per lb. is the recommended dosage. Most pills are 25 mg. Make sure it's the plain Benadryl, not mixed with anything else. Just the antihistimine. But I don't know if you should introduce the Benadryl while she's reacting to the Comfortis. I would call the vet and ask.

~Best of luck
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 5:58 am

Dog Health > Pancreatitis

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 8:51pm PST 
Tayne,

You said they did exams. Was this just a physical exam? It's hard to say what your pup has without at least a blood test. The vet may have been guessing, so I would get a blood test and try a different vet.

Indy had acute pancreatitis a few months back. Here is my thread about that and food options.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/ 722825

I guess we were lucky. He didn't seem to be in pain. He was eating, but he was throwing up every meal for about 4 days and he had a mysterious allergy type reaction where his ears puffed up and he developed hives. It started on a Thursday and he was getting better by that Monday. I still had him on a diet for the few weeks while we waited to have him retested. The 2nd test showed he was fine and has been since. I still don't know what caused the puffy ears and hives, but it could of been a side effect of the pancreatitis.

~Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 25 9:04 pm

Dog Health > Seizures...Advice?
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 7:07pm PST 
Toby,

Indy started having seizures around 5 yrs old. He will be 8 this Aug. He's had about 10 seizures that we know of. I can't seem to figure out a trigger. Sometimes he was calm, in bed even, and other times he was barking away. The first time it happened, we didn't know what was going on and I actually thought he was choking on something. He just stood there with a stiffness and had his head down. We thought he had a blockage and started rushing to leave the house for the vet. By the time we got to the car, he was fine. OMG what a scare! The vet said it isn't happening enough for meds, but he said more then 2 a month or 1 a week would probably require some sort of meds. Indy wasn't on any meds when he had his first seizure. No heart worm or spot on flea treatment or anything like that. His last seizure was Dec 10th and he had 2 in a row 13 min apart in the early morning. I write down what I can remember about the days surrounding the seizure. Like where he was, what he was doing and what he ate that day. Including treats.

Keep a log with date, time, food, meds (if any) and activities within the last 24-48 hours if you can remember. I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Unless they are happening a lot. The vet told me it's almost impossible to tell what's going on unless they actually monitor Indy when the seizure is taking place. And that's impossible to do unless they were happening so much we could predict it.

~Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jan 29 6:11 am

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.