Postings by Jones

GO!

Raw Food Diet > raw nutrition question

Jones

Life is an- adventure. Lets- explore.

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 2:59am PST 
wow, thanks Max.

So it would be ok for me to skip over fish and add red meat this weekend?

Would adding red meat be the same as how I added turkey where I do a bone heavy chicken meal and then a read meat meal, and alternate the 3?

I give Jones a little bit of raw liver when I cook his training treats. and he loves it, and it doesn't seem to affect his stomach.

I am a little impatient to get him onto a a diet with proper ratios because he hasn't had any issues with his stomach. (I spose though that if I skip fish and move onto red meat this weekend, and then add organs in 2 weeks time, then I will be able to prepare his food into 80-10-5-5 portions at the end of November, for December.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jones, Oct 31 2:59 am

Jones

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 6:24am PST 
thanks.

I am picking an omega supplement up from the vet on my way home.

I am fortunate enough to have a vet who pointed out a difference in Jones skin since I switched him. She saw him yesterday when I took him in to be weighed. I said that he has little bumps on his belly again, and she said that she is surprised, because she has seen how much better his skin and coat is doing since I put him on raw.

She thinks it might be a grass allergy now. So he gets to have antihistamines until it settles again, and then every time I take him out hiking. lol laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jones, Oct 31 2:59 am

Jones

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 1:06am PST 
Hi All

I started feeding raw on 5 Oct 13. I started with Chicken, added turkey on 20 Oct will be adding fish on 3 Nov. He hasn't had any stomach issues so far. dancing

I know that it is still early days, but I am wondering how I know that Jones is getting all the right stuff for his joints and bones, and if I am giving him too much of any one part of his diet.

I know that I will get to the point where I have the 80-10-5-5 ratio correct (once he is onto 4 protein sources, with organs)

I guess I am just being a little paranoid about him not getting enough vitamins and minerals, and in the right ratios.

My question is, How did you all figure out the right amount of everything for your dogs so that their nutritional needs are met correctly?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jones, Oct 31 2:59 am

Raw Food Diet > Live food

Jones

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 4:02am PST 
Sorry everyone if I made it sound like this is something that I am planning to do. I think lure of sight hounds is a fun sport to watch, but that's not a real rabbit/hare.

I came across live feeding online, and was wondering if anyone else had seen it or heard of it, and if it was "normal". From your responses I am guessing that it is not.

Jones has a pretty high prey drive, so I have actually been working on him not chasing things. So far he is getting better at it impulse control.

Sorry if I stepped on toes. I didn't mean to.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 3 10:37 pm

Raw Food Diet > Live food

Jones

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 4:30am PST 
I have been a google fiend over the last 2 months with regards to switching to PMR diet for my boy.

Jones has been on raw for nearly 3 weeks now, and I introduced him to turkey this week, and he likes it as much as chicken, which he loves. laugh out loud For all that he hated kibble, he is making up for that with how much he loves raw food.

Anyhow, back on topic.

During my googlathon I found videos of people feeding their dogs live food. It was a smallish terrier type dog. Maybe 20lbs or so, and the released the rodent (I saw rats and rabbits in different videos) and the dog was then released to chase, kill and eat his "meal".

I am not a squeamish person, and I know that nature is not polite about meal times. But have any of you ever seen anything like this. shrug It seemed like they were taking PMR a little too literally.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Nov 3 10:37 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.