Postings by Tsaile - ADOPTED

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best place for ID/mobility harness for golden retriever

Tsaile - ADOPTED

An angel clothed- in gold

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 3:44am PST 
Thanks for the good ideas!!!!

For a training harness, I've been looking at the Julius k9 IDC power harness http://www.julius-k9.us/ just to get her use to wearing a harness, and when she's older and ready, light weight baring and pulling. Has anyone used this harness? I do need a rigid handle harness eventually - but right now neither of us are ready for that. My thought is to get a well made but inexpensive harness for now, so I can put money aside to get a nice harness when we're ready to move on to that step.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best place for ID/mobility harness for golden retriever
Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:27am PST 
Thank you everyone for your support and advice. I actually just ordered a Julius IDC power harnesses with a Chest pad and Y strap for more support when pulling. It'll work for now - but I do really need one with a rigid handle to help me balance so I can walk without loosing my balance.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 7:05am PST 
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'll look at the bridgeport harnesses to begin with, and start putting money aside for a better harness when she's ready to graduate into a fully trained service dog.

I at least want an emergency ID for the reason mentioned - I want it to have a picture of her, and phone numbers of close friends and my vet so should anything happen to me, they can look at the ID card and know who to contact for Tsaile. I think I will order access cards and make sure I use those in place of always showing the ID as I have in the past - I'd much rather educate to make it easier for those that follow, then making it harder if they don't have an ID card. I doubt I'll have much trouble with access with Tsaile since she'll always have her mobility harness on when she graduates to a service dog, making it obvious she's got a job to do. My little ones access was a challenge at times, especially before I had to become reliant on a wheelchair - nobody could SEE that I had seizures or that I couldn't easily bend down if I dropped something without falling.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:26pm PST 
Just looked at the bold lead designs harness - ultimately I think that is what I want when she is ready to actively start working, but I need a more affordable harness to start with and get her use to. $85 I could afford - but Abby, where did you get the similar one for $50? Affordability is a big thing for me since I can't work so I'm on a very fixed income - and want to be putting money away to get the bold lead designs harness when she's ready to graduate to a fully trained service dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:49pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do plan to have Tsaile fully OFA certified prior to actually using her for mobility/pulling purposes. She's 18 months right now - and has a long ways to go, but I do want to start looking for the right harness so I can start getting her use to wearing it at home, and then wearing it in public. I only rescued Tsaile 2 months ago, so we're still perfecting some basic commands. She's very much a baby still, I'm sure it'll probably be at least a year before I'll be comfortable getting her to do much bracing/counter balancing/pulling work. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression - her safety and well being will always be my first priority. She has a lot of drive and desire to please me, my trainer evaluated her before I agreed to rescue her, and said she had more drive and potential then most of the dogs she evaluates, and her bond to me was instant. I love her dearly - I trust my vet and my trainer to guide me as to what health clearances I should do and at what stage she's ready for more advanced training. Right now I'm working on socialization and general obedience. She wasn't given any structure or training before she came to me, and already she's proving how smart and eager to learn she is. But I'm under no false illusion that she's going to be a fully trained and capable service dog anytime soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:47pm PST 
I understand people's point on the ID issue - however I like having an ID, the one my current service dog has clearly states on the back "the owner/handler of this animal is presenting this card voluntarily and is not required to by law". I also carry cards with the ADA law that I can leave with people that ask for ID. I don't have it clearly visible, but I do carry the ID to avoid battles. I have bad social anxiety issues, and can't handle confrontation, so it's more for my benefit then anything.

That said, I'm more worried about where to get a good mobility harness for Tsaile then the ID. Money is tight, but I'm not against spending a bit more for a quality harness instead of buying a cheap one that'll wear out fast.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 5:51pm PST 
After 5 years in service, I'm looking into retiring my current service dog (an Italian Greyhound) and putting my Golden Retriever in service in her place. I am working with a local training group to teach her some of the more detailed tasks I now need since my disabilities have worsened to the point I have a lot of difficulty walking, and falls aren't uncommon. I also use a wheelchair a lot of the time. My Golden will be trained to pull my chair, assist with balance, as well as helping me up if I do fall, or alerting someone that I need help. The trainer I'm working with doesn't provide IDs or supplies, so I'm trying to find a place to order these items for Tsaile. The place I ordered Aiyana's from no longer does them, I liked the idea when I bought hers, they gave me one to clip onto her service vest, and another to keep in my wallet, so if some unknowing person wanted to see identification on my dog, it was easy to provide.

Mostly I need a mobility harness so she can help me with balance and/or getting up if I do fall, and also be able to be used as a pulling harness so she can pull me in my wheelchair. I also need to order an ID for her. I know this isn't legally required, but it sure makes access easier in a lot of situations!
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 10:35 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.