Postings by Otis

GO!

Raw Food Diet > BARF diet help - please :)

Otis

Otis-Beast-Vicio- us Bird Killer

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 1:00pm PST 
Ok,so I am feeling quite dull at the moment. I am looking at the dog food nut. guide and from what I can tell it basically has very little calcium?????
UGH! Am I just not reading it correctly?

I also read I could add eggshells for calcium supplement. 1/2tsp per 1lb of food....I am considering that...thoughts?

I cannot believe you found a WHOLE neck in your dog's stool! WOW!

Mind glancing at the info below and letting me know what you think? Sorry!
Thanks again for all your help!
Ayla

Duck 28% (Duck meat meal, Duck gravy),Brown rice (26%), Barley Meal (14%), Potato Protein (10%), Rapeseed Oil(8%), Sugar Beet Pulp (6%), Linseed (5%), Alfalfa (2%), Minerals (includes Kelp 250mg/kg, Yucca Extract 200mg/kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg), Seaweed (0.4%).

Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A 21,000IU/kg, Vitamin D3 2,000IU/kg, Vitamin E (a � Tocopherol) 500mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 200mg/kg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 167mg/kg, Manganese Oxide 156mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 97mg/kg, Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 30mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 9mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.3mg/kg. Calcium 1.8mg/kg, Phosphorous 0.16mg/kg, Omega 6 4.65mg/kg, Omega 3 1.33mg/kg.

Typical Analysis:

Protein 30%, Crude Fibre 3%, Oils and Fats 11%, Crude Ash 7%, Moisture 10%
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 5 6:18 pm

Otis

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 4:21am PST 
Thank you all for your responses. Esp. Maxwell! You have some very good suggestions. I have only been giving him 5 drops of Vit.E per day and I will switch over to regular fish oil when the Cod Oil pills run out (pretty soon). I am definitely going to try putting the chicken wings in the Kong...I think it might to the trick! And, I will also try giving him larger bones.

Basically, what he was doing was crunching up the chicken bones while still encased in the meat, then was able to just swallow it :0

Maxwell, how do I find out if the dog food/kibble has enough calcium so that I would only give him the bones a few times a week, like you suggested.

Because we are new to this, we are wary of taking him off commercial dog food/kibble completely until we have more of a handle on it. I am however happy to replace kibble or patties for the bones.

As for the veg quantity, that's how much the BARF diet recommends. What are the down sides to feeding him that much? He loves it and never leaves a piece of ANYTHING in his bowl.

Many Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 5 6:18 pm

Otis

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:42am PST 
Oops! Double post, please reply to the original. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Otis, Feb 1 3:42 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.