Postings by Mikal

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Force Free Trainer Help
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 10:31am PST 
I found a service dog organization in Oklahoma that sounds pretty good. They're called A New Leash On Life and they provide service dogs and service dog training at no cost and only use force free training methods. I actually got to meet one of their dogs by chance when we were traveling through Oklahoma for Christmas. Have y'all heard anything about them? I'm not finding anything negative or any red flags. I'm pretty excited. I really hope this all works out. I'll keep y'all updated.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mikal, Jul 8 10:31 am

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 2:05pm PST 
Board and train is definitely not my first choice. I want to be involved in her training as much as possible.

I checked Pet Partners and found some good resources. I've contacted about 16 different trainers and now I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mikal, Jul 8 10:31 am

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:43pm PST 
It's time to advance Mika's training and I'm finding that I need help. Unfortunately, all the trainers I can seem to find use corrections and choke or prong collars, which I'm really trying to stay away from. I'd prefer to be involved in the training but might consider board and train. Do you guys have any recommendations for force free trainers in the Kansas or Oklahoma area? I'd be willing to go to Nebraska or maybe even Texas too, actually.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mikal, Jul 8 10:31 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Gear question for the heat

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 8:06pm PST 
If you decide to go with something from RuffWear, they offer a 50% discount to service dog handlers. I don't remember exactly where on the website you go to get the form, but you just fill out this form to apply for the discount and they get back to you within a few days. I'm sure if you googled RuffWear and service dog discount, you could find it pretty easily.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, May 19 8:13 pm

Food & Nutrition > What Is The Best Possible Food?

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 4:10pm PST 
If you're still looking for a good food, you could check out dogfoodanalysis.com. They rate lots of different foods and explain why they got that rating.

Here's a direct link to the reviews:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 10:44 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food Advice
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 4:02pm PST 
Isn't it actually better when an ingredient list starts with some sort of specified meat meal instead of just a specified meat? When chicken is listed, that means chicken weighed before dehydrating it, which you have to do to make dry food. And chicken meal is the chicken weighed after is was dehydrated.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-do-you-rate-the-foods.html scroll down to "Practices and ingredients to be aware of"
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jasper, Jan 21 7:49 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > "Therapy Dog" in the mall.

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:14pm PST 
Maybe they got permission first. I don't have any PAT rights since I'm owner training, so I usually call ahead to see if it's okay.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nova, Jan 21 5:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Force Free Training

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 2:40pm PST 
Kaylee: I have a really good trainer who does a lot of work with service dogs. I really like him. The only downside is that he uses leash corrections and prong collars a lot.

Molly Moo: I'll definitely get rid of it. I've been thinking about it for a while now. I feel like it just hurts the bond and trust we built together. The look on her face, even when I just put it on her, kinda kills me. Not to mention, I've always hated tugging on her collar. I just feel like I'm choking her and causing her physical damage. I've preferred to use a harness since I first got her. I'll check out the front clip harness. We do have a marker that she responds pretty well to. Whenever I tell her "good girl," she usually looks to me for a treat. But I think I wanna start clicker training.

Guest: How could I redirect her? For instance, Mikal has recently started barking at people who walk by our house and it drives me crazy!

I'll try that heeling technique. I definitely don't want her to be afraid of me. I want her to do things because she wants to, not because she's afraid of consequences. I really wish I had looked more in to force free training earlier. I did a lot of research, but defaulted to the "quick fix" stuff.

That's really amazing that she did that! I think I will join your Facebook group. Thanks.

Scooter: That is a really good video. I'm gonna give that a try.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 11:53 am

Golden Retriever > Great toys that last

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:46am PST 
I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worthy of bumping.

My golden is an aggressive chewer and one of the best brands we've found is HuggleHounds. They're plush toys with a layer of mesh type fabric that Mikal hasn't been able to chew through yet!

http://hugglehounds.com/tuffut.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by jax,lucy,boone, Mar 24 10:37 am

Golden Retriever > Great toys that last
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:46am PST 
Sorry. Double post.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by jax,lucy,boone, Mar 24 10:37 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.