Postings by Zane

GO!

Dog Laws & Legislation > Finding Rudy

Zane

Slobber that- only a mother- can love!!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:20pm PST 
I feel like a butt...

For some reason I totally misread a few things and misunderstood something. My apologies.

I wanted to correct myself. red face
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rudy, Apr 23 2:57 am

Puppy Place > 4 month old Newfoundland puppy..... when to get him neutered?
Zane

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:06pm PST 
Zane is 3 and 205lbs, he will be going in to get neutered in March. I also have a 13 month old min pin male who is going to be neutered next month. I generally wait until my dogs have reached full growth maturity before neutering if i'm going to neuter.

I wasn't going to neuter at all but I am bringing home a female Boston Terrier in a week and I really don't want puppies roaming the house. I can and have been a responsible owner this entire time, always keeping an eye on my dogs, but with 3 dogs and 4 kids I feel like the best option for my busy household is to have everyone spayed/neutered.

Being a responsible owner is not always about being able to watch your dogs like a hawk 24/7, but it's also knowing your limits with what you can and cannot handle. And just because you may feel like you cannot handle an intact dog does not make you a bad dog owner either.

Wishing you and Aslan the best of luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 8:38 am

Grooming > Stopping the itchies!!

Zane

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:49pm PST 
I have a 3 year old Saint Bernard who has an issue with constantly itching and chewing...both in the summer and winter months. I do bathe him about once a month as I thought at first that I was over bathing him, and it really made no difference. I thought too that it was a food allergy,after an elimination diet and removing Chicken entirely from his diet, he did stop itching and chewing for about 8 months, then he was back at it. He itches so much he has sores, scabs and slight hair loss. My vet seems to think it's a flea allergy because I am using Petarmor, and the fleas have to bite the dog in order to be killed by the product, which does basically no good for Zane. I will be switching flea preventatives once my petarmor reserves run out.

In the meantime...Is there a method, shampoo, vitamin, medication ANYTHING I can do to ease the itching for more than an hour? Benedryl is a no go because at 205lbs...he has to damn near take the entire bottle. I will wash him daily if I need to...I just want to find him long term relief, or maybe something I can add to the topical flea preventative to help keep the fleas off of him? I'm really looking for anything.

He is a rough coat(Long hair)Saint, I have had to shave him last summer because our A/C broke for 3 days when the temp was over 100 degrees. I do not shave him on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Jan 17 8:12 pm

Dog Health > Allergies or not?

Zane

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:39pm PST 
Guest member- He is already on lamb, he is on a 100% chicken free TOTW kibble and has been for a year or so now, and he still continues to itch and chew. I won't do home cooked meals honestly, per my research before switching to raw feeding had shown that home cooked dogs need a lot of supplements, and I got through A LOT of fish oil capsules and vitamins as it is, Zane weighs in at 205lbs.

Bella(?)- My other Saint had allergies as well, but his were pretty easy to diagnose and get control of once we did find out what it was. Loki had an allergy to fleas and it would take 1 flea bite and he would itch, bleed, scab and break out into hives, it was crucial that I made sure he didn't get fleas.

Everyone else- I am taking Zane in to have a skin scrape done, my vet is going to test for both demo and sarcoptic mange before we do any allergy testing. He is also going to test his thyroid as well. I NEED to find out what the cause is before the 17th of this month, I have Envy(My boston puppy) coming home then, and I would hate her to get mange if that's what it really is.

I will keep everyone updated on this topic. Thank you so much for the replies.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zane, Jan 8 3:39 pm

Dog Health > Allergies or not?

Zane

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:39am PST 
A little back history first..

Zane is a 2 1/2 year old Saint Bernard. He was fed raw from 8 weeks up until he was a year and a half old. He was using Chicken as his predominant source of protein. After a while( A year old) he started itching like crazy, sores started showing up and scabs started forming etc..So we decided to switch to kibble and we went with TOTW's Sierra Mountain Canine as it contains NO chicken or poultry for that matter, as we were wanting to rule out a chicken allergy.

It helped for the first 8 weeks or so, and then he was back to itching, not as bad...but he has hair loss(slight) itching to the extent of bleeding sores and scabs again. He has sensitive area's on his sides that he itches, especially when you touch him. He also licks and chews his feet constantly.

I'm starting to wonder if this is either another allergy on top of a chicken allergy, or if it was never a chicken allergy to begin with and maybe it is something Environmental? We use both topical flea stuff (petarmor) and diatamacious(sp) Earth. He is bathed with an oatmeal bath twice a month, and does get shaved during the summer as it gets over 100 degrees here.

I don't know how else to rule out allergies besides a skin test, so any information would be great. He has a vet's appointment to test for mange next week.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zane, Jan 8 3:39 pm

Dog Health > More Itchiness.
Zane

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:24am PST 
My 3 year old Saint is the same way. It doesn't seem to matter what we feed him, bathe him in or anything...he constantly itches to the point where he has scabs and small sores. We have discovered during an elimination diet while feeding raw, that chicken and pretty much any poultry makes it ten times worse. We have ultimately stopped feeding raw and have switched him to TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine which happens to be the only one without ANY poultry/egg product in it, and the itching has subsided only a little bit.

Our next task will be a skin scrape and allergy testing at the vet's office. Have you considered doing that yet? Our itchy problem really didn't begin until a year and a half ago, so it isn't anything that he has had since he was brought home.

If you happen to find a result/treatment/prognosis please keep us updated. I will post my updates as well. Zane has his vet appointment the end of Jan for his skin exams.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fancy, Jan 6 2:58 pm

Food & Nutrition > Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Zane

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:16am PST 
I'm sort of new here...I had an account back in 2010 but my pup had developed bone cancer and had passed away so I deleted my account.

Anyways, when I was here the food snobs were just horrible. I can't even count the times I got my tail chewed out for not feeding raw, or not feeding a quality kibble, because honestly I just couldn't afford it right away for one, and two...this is the internet, and I'm not going to jump when I'm told without doing my own research first. I did end up feeding raw for a few years, in fact we just recently decided to make the switch from raw back to kibble because it was cheaper when it came to feeding a 200+ pound dog.

I now feed TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine, it has no poultry or poultry products in it as Zane my Saint is highly allergic to Chicken and Turkey(per elimination diet). My personal opinion is that IF you are in the position to feed a better than average dog food, it should be done, just like if you can afford steak over ramen noodles...eat the steak. But all that truly matters is that they eat..whether it is home cooked, raw, Purina, or Wellness Core...as long as your not starving them, beating them etc...then it really should not matter.

If someone asks me what I feed my dogs I tell them, but I don't elaborate on why I feed it to them, or the quality of what they are feeding unless I am specifically asked. The food snobs were honestly the reason why I closed my once paid dogster account. I actually got HATE mail because I couldn't feed my dog anything but Purina at one point. It was stupid, and I hope to wagging tails it has changed.
[notify]
» There has since been 62 posts. Last posting by Casey, Jun 14 10:36 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.