Postings by Blaize

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Two questions about feeding a cane corso pup...

Blaize

Watch out I- pounce and I- WILL LICK YOU

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 8:16pm PST 
Dante is a very good looking boy. My friend's pup's current owner sent me pics because I am the go between for them. He is a blue brindle and so striking. His current owner has pit bulls and one pic he sent me is of the pup "Goliath" laying beside one of their pits. He is bigger than the pit bull. I was shocked because I have never seen a cane corso except on here and didnt realize that he would be bigger than the pit at only 4 months. I am excited to meet this pup for the first time. And to watch him grow up. I would love to own one myself now that I have seen this one even in pics. I have giant breed knowledge and have been around and handled mastiffs, great danes, and a couple rotties. But hubby wants a pit after our home was broken into new years eve. I was looking for large breed puppy food the other night and was shocked to find that the stores were out of any type of puppy food at all because we are getting a winter storm and oddly enough people here in Indiana should be used to this stuff but you would think that we lived in New Mexico or Texas where they never see snow. Store shelves were bare not only in walmarts but other stores as well. and not just pet foods but human food as well. you would think we were getting hit with a blizzard like back in 1978...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blaize, Jan 5 8:16 pm

Blaize

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 12:19pm PST 
My friend had me contact the owner of the pup yesterday and ask how much he weighs right now. He is 45 pounds at 4 months. I am supposed to take him up to pick up the pup next week provided we dont get the snow storm they are calling for. I do thank you all for the advice. I will pass it along to my friend. I teased him and told him that if he didnt jump on taking this pup I would but I doubt that I would take him not because hes gonna be so big but because I dont think I want to explain to my professors that the puppy ate my homework. Is he on track with his growth though being 45 pounds at 4 months?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Blaize, Jan 5 8:16 pm

Blaize

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 1:09pm PST 
A friend of mine is getting a cane corso puppy that is 4 months old. Not sure what he weighs at this point but he will hit 150 pounds when he is full grown. My friend is used to smaller breeds like aussies and labs and feeding them. The questions he has are: What kind of puppy food would be the best for a growing giant breed pup? And what would be the best way to feed him to keep him from getting bloat? I have read that the best way is to feed small meals then keep the dog inactive for at least an hour afterwards. Would it be a good idea to feed him from a raised bowl or to feed small meals and limit his activity?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Blaize, Jan 5 8:16 pm

Dog Health > Does your vets beside manner need an overhaul?

Blaize

Barked: Sun Dec 8, '13 11:07am PST 
The clinic where my husband and I take our dogs has two WONDERFUL vets that have done great with our dogs. However the vet who used to run the place, and was forced into retirement, was AWFUL he would come right out and admit that he was a cat person. When we first used that clinic was when he was the vet that ran the place. We had two labs and a young German Shepherd as well as a young pit bull. The labs had each been in for their rabies shots and he anchored them to this slide on the wall then knowing that the dog was restrained, picked the dog up by grabbing their front and rear legs and flipped them over then SLAMMED them down on the table just to give a shot. When the older lab was neutered for aggression issues he was just as rough with him a few days after the surgery and his incision had ruptured. He didnt even bother to stitch him back up. Needless to say we left that clinic and didnt go back until last year when we took Blaze and Garnet's mom to them for her spay. They were very professional and amazing with her. When Garnet got into a fight with a cat they did great with her even though they had to give her two shots of the knock out drug because she burned through the first one in a few minutes time, she burned through the second one within a matter of half an hour because her body temp is normally very very high. The staff just loves her and the rest of the dogs and have always treated us very well. When the old vet was there he made us take the collar leash and tags when we dropped our lab off for his neuter. However the new vets had us go ahead and leave the collars but go ahead and take their leashes. They even listened when I told them that they should step into the kennel with Drizzit and close the gate before putting a leash on her because she is a runner.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 8 6:08 pm

Dog Health > Need help for my sweet Miniature Pinscher

Blaize

Barked: Tue May 28, '13 1:23am PST 
Garnet and Blaze's mom weighed 16.8 lbs when we had her spayed in November. Her owner doesnt walk her or even bother to toss a ball for her to chase. He doesnt allow for either of his two dogs to have toys or anything to chew on. We did redirection training with their dad when we cared for them because Psycho chewed on everything including the couch. We gave him empty pop and tea bottles plastic only and we were always playing with Diamond and letting her run around chasing a ball or just taking her for walks. I dont know what she weighs now but I know she is really chubby. I feel horrid for her because she is a sweet dog but she cant be healthy.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blaize, May 28 1:23 am

Puppy Place > Having two puppies at the same time
Blaize

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:00pm PST 
I know what you are talking about as I have two puppies brother and sister Garnet and Blaze who are 10 months old. If we crate them separately they both cry so they sleep in the same crate when my husband and I are not home and at night. We make sure that they have plenty of toys to play with but their favorite toys are the cats Kiara and Simba. It seems like no matter how much you puppy proof your home puppies and especially Boston Terrier/Min Pin mix pups are always able to get into something.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Mar 25 3:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Confused and concerned...

Blaize

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:29pm PST 
I have five dogs I want to ask about here. First is Garnet and Blaze's dad who belongs to a friend of the family. Psycho is very house destructive if left to roam loose if he has no toys to chew on. If he has toys he will not chew on anything else. His owner doesnt want him to have toys to chew on.. he says Psycho doesnt chew on ANYTHING, which is b.s. because Psycho chewed through a brand new couch that we were given, We had left him loose for twenty minutes while we were out feeding the dogs. Plus Psycho is yelled at if he barks so he is very jumpy. How can I get Psycho's owner to realize that his dog is just as guilty of chewing things up as the pups are? I cannot give the pups chew toys without worrying that Psycho will get them.

Second question: When does play become aggression? Tundra has a new play mate who is Tank's sister Belladonna. The girls get along fine and dont fight. They play very well together barking and wrestling and growling and showing teeth as well as their hackles standing on end. Recently the same person who owns Garnet's mom and dad told me that he KICKED Bella three times because "She was trying to kill the dog in the pen. She was showing teeth and snarling and barking" These two play that way all the time and never once has it gone from play to a full blown fight. When Tundra gets tired of the play she will turn and walk away. I have tried several times to tell him that they play that way all the time and that Belladonna cannot be handled roughly or punished with harshness because she is very sensitive and doesnt like harsh corrections.

Finally this brings me to the final concern.... puppy chewing. I know that Blaze has chewed up things now and then but he gets plenty of play time and exercise. I cannot buy chew toys for him and Garnet because I am afraid of their dad getting them and then his owner taking them from him and throwing them away. We are hoping to be able to move soon because Psycho's owner is constantly threatening our dogs and wants us to move them down in the farthest section of the yard from the house so that he can sleep because "they are too stupid to know when to stop barking" We dont yell and scream at the dogs when they bark we go look and say 'thank you' and 'thats enough,go to bed' which normally they will do about 97% of the time or did until he came home. Besides having to keep Blaze and Garnet in the room we sleep in all the time what can I do until we get a place where we dont have to put up with the constant screaming and them being blamed for things that their dad chews up?

Also for those of you out there who have big dogs how big is too big for the house? Tank is a 70+ pound 1 year old German Shepherd/Lab mix SDiT or Service Dog in Training. I was recently told that he was too big to be in the house and he is in no way shape or form a SDiT.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 22 5:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > How do you store your food?

Blaize

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:41pm PST 
What we used to do is pick up the metal cans that milk is put in out in the Amish community. There used to be a factory in one of our small towns here in southern Indiana that made cheese and if one of the milk cans got a tiny pin hole in it they would set the can aside because it could no longer be used to hold milk. They would give the cans away. At one time my family had four of them three were used to store dog food and one was used for sugar. As they had the lids on them they were air tight and I never noticed a smell from the feed. You might find out where your local Amish community is and see if they would give or sell you a couple of milk cans.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bella, Feb 6 5:40 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.