Postings by Carbon

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Rant D:
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 10:26pm PST 
Sorry if this is in the wrong section... couldn't decide where I should put it D:

My neighbors have a guest (a friend of the wife's who had been kicked out of her boyfriends house when they broke up) who has a Pit Bull x Boxer dog. The dog itself is delightful from what I've seen if not a bit high strung. I have never heard the dog bark either, and I'm connected to them (I live in a townhouse)
My problem is the owner!! I was putting my stuff in my car to head to work the other day and she has her dog on a leash in the common area out front by the visitor parking area. Her dog does her thing and the owner just stands there, her dog finishes and she starts to walk back to her house. I call out with "Do you need a bag to clean up after your dog? I have some if you do," to which she shoots me a dirty look and replies "I have some, thanks." Her tone was so snarky, which pissed me off right away.
I got into my car and headed to work after that so I didn't see if she had picked up her dogs waste but I went and had a peek when I got home from work to find her dogs feces still sitting there. I had seen a lot of unpicked poop and couldn't figure out who it was, it was WAY too big to belong to the Maltese and Pomeranian that live a few houses down.
Then today I'm out letting my two dogs go to the bathroom when an older lady with her grand-kids told me that someone on the end row of the townhouses asked her "if she knew the lady with the two dogs or knew where she lived" which could either be that someone gets irritated when I call my dogs too loudly (I dont think I do, really I only have to call at 11am when they go out, they get really excited about the overnight smells but their recall is way better after they do their morning investigation. I don't yell continuously either) or that they think it's me not cleaning up after my dogs.
I'm really worried that this mystery person thinks it's me not picking up after my dogs! We have a Condo Association and I'm afraid that if this continues they will vote to disallow dogs. Should I call the Condo Association and formally complain about my neighbor? It's unfair of one person (who doesn't even live here!!) to ruin it for the rest of us responsible owners that make sure our dogs are good neighbors too.

It's kinda been stressing me out shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Aug 19 1:29 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > breeds
Carbon

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 7:22pm PST 
Typically the smaller the dog the more fragile they are.
It would help everyone to suggest a few breeds if you told us a bit more about yourself and what you want the dog for. For instance how much time are you willing to commit to grooming and exercise, what are the temperaments of the pets you currently own and are they good with other animals as well, do you have children (and if so what age(s) and have they been taught not to manhandle animals?
A lot of factors in the home make the difference between a happy dog/owner pair from a pair that has to struggle to meet the needs of both. I've learned so far that Poodles (among other breeds) tend to be very sensitive and do best in a stable home without much emotional drama. I'm sure that is true for all dogs but some are definitely more sensitive than others when it comes to the handler.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kye, Aug 2 8:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking!!!!

Carbon

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 11:32pm PST 
I have 2 dogs that are more or less completely silent, though my 14 year old has started barking when people come to the door. I attribute this to his eyes getting old, he barks because he cant see as clearly as he used to. We're still working on "quiet" and it's going pretty well, he takes a lot of joy in barking at my dad and my sister though... not sure why just them lol, silly old man.
Sabi, Arya and Benni all had really good points about why a dog barks and offered very good tips on how to curb the behavior.
I also read your thread about the biting and it sounds to me like your pup needs more socialization, exercise and and basic obedience. Even if you want the dog to act as Guardian Dog you should still take care to make sure that he is properly socialized with people and other animals. A dog who is well balanced will know the difference between a situation where he should guard from one that is nothing to worry about. Dogs that are kept under socialized because "it makes them better guard animals" are often the ones that become dangerous or unmanageable.
I'm sure you probably love the dog but if you truly can't make time to properly train/socialize him maybe it would be best if you found him a home with someone who can before he develops behavioral issues or becomes hard to handle/work with. Olde English Bulls are pretty head strong and are a powerful dog (mentally and physically), they require more than a yard 24/7 and a ton of toys. Mental and physical stimuli are important for a growing dog, also make sure to have him neutered. If you're already having problems with mouthing a rush of powerful hormones probably wont make it any easier.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Carbon, Jul 17 11:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Aggressive dog coming into yard!

Carbon

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 8:25pm PST 
By having him over for pets and treats it seems to have just reinforced that he owns that yard. My cousins had a very large mixed breed that did the same thing, they beefed up the fence in hopes of keeping the dog out but to no avail. Eventually my uncle started spraying him with the garden hose every time he caught him in there and that seemed to work well, it also can be sprayed without getting within biting distance of the dog. That is kind of a summer fix only though lol.
It sounds like the dogs owners should dedicate more time to tiring the dog out so he feels less like roaming and more like taking a nap. Having a big yard is nice but boring, a dog with a large yard still needs the mental stimulation provided by trips away from the home. Being in a house with 2 other unaltered males is probably not ideal either, too much competition so he is finding his own range away from the other dogs.
Changing the dogs behavior is hard to do when it's not your dog so the best bet is finding a way to keep him out of the yard, is it possible to add onto the top of the fence to dissuade any more invasions? Short of having the neighbors tie him in their yard when he is outside, or have a dog run with a cover put up for him there isn't a whole lot I can suggest, aggression can be dangerous for all parties if not handled correctly. If it were me I would suggest the dog run with the lid to the neighbors or inform them that animal control will be contacted when Koda is not in his own yard.

Also why is he being studded out if he is just a mixed breed? It seems (IMO) irresponsible to breed a non-pedigree dog and house him in a house with other unaltered males. Don't get me wrong, I love mixed breeds, I just think if you want a mixed dog the local shelters/rescues are a better place to go then a backyard breeder.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Jan 21 4:17 pm

Dog Health > Experience with allergy tests?

Carbon

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:28am PST 
I personally do not think they are as reliable as they should be, when I asked my vet he admitted to me that they are only about 64% accurate. I considered having Carbon tested but the cost didn't justify the results for me so I switched him to a minimal ingredient food (with ingredients he's never had before, the pet store I buy my food at told me dogs are less likely to react to things they have not been exposed to) and very slowly introduced more ingredients seeing which ones worked and which didn't. It takes a long time to get it narrowed down but it's 100% effective if you do it right big grin

Right now I feed Go! Natural: Salmon and Oatmeal formula, he also can have the Duck and Sweet Potato.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Millie, CGC, Sep 22 2:42 pm

Dog Health > My Boxer Has Red, Itchy Ears
Carbon

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:21am PST 
If he is getting reoccurring ear infections it could be caused by allergies and not just the fact that he has floppy ears. My dog Carbon was getting ear infections constantly (he also has floppy ears, he's a lab x boxer) and after spending almost two thousand dollars on vet visits, ear flushes and otomax I did a little research and found out it was food allergies. Carbon is allergic to poultry (with the exception of duck)wheat, eggs, beat pulp (which is used in some foods) and has mild reactions to snow mold in the spring.

Try switching his food to something with ingredients he hasn't been exposed to yet. Anything with fish and potato or oatmeal. I feed Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal or Duck and Sweet Potato. Just make sure the food is wheat and gluten free, it can take a month or so to see any results but it's definitely worth a shot!

As for home remedies for ear infection the best thing is to keep the ears clean and dry. I've heard great things about something called Blue Power but I have never used it myself. I'm sure someone here has a recipe for it if you want to give it a go!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Carbon, Jan 6 11:21 am

Behavior & Training > Dealing With Bone Aggression

Carbon

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:10am PST 
I can see the merit for the 'trading up' method but I tend to think along the same lines as Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs, my house my rules. Mind you none of my dogs have ever had an issue with resource guarding. I think it's a difference between a dog who is claiming the item as his in a dominant fashion VS one who becomes defensive due to mistrust or fear. My dogs have always known I'm not going to take one of their bones or their food unless I have a legit reason to do so and I trust them implicitly with giving up prized items because we have a great trust/respect relationship. A dog that has been teased and has developed resource guarding however would be a great dog to use the 'trading up' method on IMO.

I disagree with not using kennels as a training aid though. My Carbon is in his kennel a lot and I never even have the door shut! It has become the 'safe zone' they go to when they become tired of playing with my room mates dog or company comes over and they no longer want to be petted or when they just need some down time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Jan 6 2:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Dealing With Bone Aggression

Carbon

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 12:24am PST 
Smokey, I have a hard time trading one desirable item for one of even higher value. That kinda seems like you are rewarding the dog for exhibiting possessive behavior, and what if the time comes when you NEED to get something back from the dog quickly but have nothing to trade with? I have no problem 'trading' if a dog has trust issues, low confidence or anxiety/fear with people being close to an item or food.
I don't think a dog should be bullied into giving up the item however. I think, if done correctly, body language alone can be a great tool when used in dog training. I personally do not agree with provoking the dog daily in order to correct the problem however and depending on the severity of the possessive behavior a trainer/behaviorist should be consulted in lieu of home training for safety purposes.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Jan 6 2:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Scuffle or a real fight?

Carbon

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:56pm PST 
My friends two dogs do this sometimes. They start out playing amiably but then the smaller of the two starts to get a bit pushy/dominant as he plays then it turns into a minor disagreement. They've never actually drawn blood but my friend usually just separates them until the energy level drops a bit. The smaller guy (who is the older dog) will sometimes get after the other if he's too energetic in his space. thinking I don't think it's anything to worry about, just keep an eye on them for a bit and see whats going on, could have just been a fluke.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 6 9:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Hyperactive GSD
Carbon

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:36pm PST 
I was going to suggest running with the car (I do that with my two) but didn't know how well it would be received here lol. It's a great way to challenge her activity level without getting tired yourself!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sadie, Jan 10 8:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.