Postings by Arkane

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > Considering this dog but what is his breed?
Arkane

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 9:41am PST 
Arkane was low energy overall (but he also had heart complications that limited him), but when he was super excited we'd do a ~20 minute run (he'd be offleash and would follow me) or kick the soccerball around and he loved that.. usually only 2 times a day. I never walked him much except inside petsmart/pet stores because there are a lot of loud dogs around us that would really bother him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOA0lc6PcXU

We also did lots of hiking / camping on weekends, he was usually tired after an hour or two and we'd stop and take a break for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ffoto6Z3d8

Edit:

If Arkane was stressed, he always seemed very slow and low energy. But honestly he was a very easy dog, and would probably rather cuddle on the couch all day.
He wasn't much of a chewer, and didn't like his paws being touched. But would do anything and everything for you even if he didn't want to / didn't like it.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lily, Sep 15 5:35 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Considering this dog but what is his breed?
Arkane

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 9:12am PST 
Oh man.. Hes so cute.. Reminds me of Arkane with those big ears, deep soulful eyes and that long muzzle. frown

I don't know what mix he is, but if he is anything like my Arkane, with that lil wagglebutt walk and those eyes, he just wants love. High energy but has an off switch, but all he wants is cuddles and love. Arkane was scared of loud noises, and a lot of things.. very skittish. But warmed up quickly and was highly trainable.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Lily, Sep 15 5:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog Reactive in Class, Instructor Not Helpful

Arkane

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 11:01am PST 
In our puppy class all we were taught (in 8 weeks!) was Sit, Down, Leave it, Wait, Watch/Focus and LLW basics. But I already knew how to teach that stuff because of my other dog.

When grooming-training (whatever you'd call it lol) I have my dog laying down and do a slow motion over their back with my hand-- not even touching at first, and drop a treat between their front legs/paws before they have a chance to turn their head around. Then I touch their back for my hand and I always give the treat AFTER the motion. Some feed during the motion but that just made my dogs expect me to stuff their face. Slow strokes from head to bum, then lightly over the tail, over the sides and on the elbows. Then i add a brush.. Now the brush certainly matters to my guys, Nare loves the slicker but will get uneasy with a tooth brush or comb. So do what works with your guys.
I don't know if you're clicker training your guys, but mine can give me their paws on cue (I numbered them 1-4) which you would probably want to teach as well.
Honestly, the trainer should know to work at the dog's pace. I know many dogs who couldn't down until the 7th week of class. And if one method does not work, then use another! I shape most of our commands (wait for the dog to offer the behavior like sitting/laying down instead of luring) and it helps my two, luring confuses them because sometimes people are inconsistent (leaning different ways, using different hands, different speeds and tones).

I wouldn't know what to do regarding reporting them or whatnot. I usually finish the class and don't go back.

BTW dont worry about the place command or any of that stuff yet. Your puppy is a puppy, enjoy him and have fun. He has his whole life to learn all sorts of commands and he's only a puppy for so long. If either of you are stressed, go back to basics but most importantly have FUN and don't worry what other peoples dogs do.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Bella, May 11 8:30 am

Behavior & Training > Dog Reactive in Class, Instructor Not Helpful

Arkane

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 2:38pm PST 
I never liked the idea of 'free-for-all puppy play'. In Ark's class they said it was to get their energy out but it just stressed him out and made the other dogs hyper and they couldn't focus all class because they wanted to play some more. My pup would just lay under my chair and watch them, while I shoved hot dogs in his face, I would rather he be calm than barking or pulling towards other dogs.

My suggestion is to use the puppies playing as a training distraction. Stand away from the group and reward your pup for good behavior (looking away from the other dogs, looking at you, sitting, laying down). Your pup won't be able to play with every dog he sees, and currently is stressed / uncomfortable around dogs, so the best you can do is teach him to ignore them. Google 'Look At That' and 'Behavior Modification Training'. I honestly think all puppies / dogs should know to ignore other dogs before engaging in play, the play is his reward and he has to earn it with wonderful behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bella, May 11 8:30 am

Puppy Place > So.. Is he a GSD?

Arkane

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 3:07pm PST 
Farles looked like such a happy puppy!
I always thought Ark's fur was short-- but I guess thats because i have Nare to compare him to, who is the king of fluff. But it is quite long.

I agree that he doesn't have a spitz type coat, his fur isn't thick at all, just long and wavy. It does remind me of a golden retriever, someone asked me if he was one today.

Heres a picture from yesterday of Ark, I think it makes him look very collie-ish and his ears look HUGE!

May 4th
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:11 pm

Arkane

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:21pm PST 
His ears are set really far back (if he folds them down, it doesn't look like he has ears at all). His head is really flat on the top but round on the cheeks.
At the tips of his ears, they actually fold back, kinda weird. like a 7 kind of.

I LOVE fuzzy ears. I just think Naresy has the cutest ears ever, and I think Ark's are going to turn out just like his. His face will probably puff out too, Nare started with a really slim face and then it got all fluffy and handsome.

Thank you all for the imput. I'm going to check to see if I can find any google-twins and ask the rescue if I could get pictures of his siblings. C:
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:11 pm

Dog Health > Its always Arkane..

Arkane

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:40pm PST 
I stopped the Doxy last night and he was doing really well today (posted a video of him running around in the Puppy Section-- I was having to carry him outside to potty because he wouldn't come out of his crate).
We went to a new vets today (who I absolutely adore, they're a Dobe breeder and do amazing crops + support raw food. but they're a 2 hour drive away) and they took a stool sample and saw some blood in it. They think he has Giardia (again) so tested for that and sent it off to a lab and will be called either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

She prescribed 24 days worth of Metrosomething, & told me to do 12 days with panacur, then wait ~5 days and do another round of metro. Made me happy cause then I don't have to drive back out there again.

If its Giardia, how in the hell do I get rid of it? )): it was gone, or atleast I thought so. He was having normal stool up until last week and I just can't think of where he would've gotten it this time around (when he first got it he was a poop eater and thats what I thought it was).
Is this going to be an on going battle?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dunlop, Apr 29 1:23 am

Arkane

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:28pm PST 
Arkane weighed in at 43lb today. He is about 20 inches at the shoulder.
I personally think he has a GSD body, but hes just really really short. But he has collie fur / tail.
When Nare was growing up I remember he was really short until he hit a growth spurt at around 8 months old, so I guess we'll see.

Arkane

Picture
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:11 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Question about adopting.

Arkane

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 2:20pm PST 
How I went about adopting my rescue puppy (Arkane) was the rescue was doing an adoption event at one of the pet stores near here and I printed out an application, filled it out, and took pictures of my home, yard, current dog, and places we might frequent for exercise (for example, I have a pasture that is a few acres but its not connected to my home, its across the street, but we also have a back yard and multiple other plots of land that we go to that vary in size, we go hiking every weekend and i took pictures of the trails, etc). With that being said, I would take pictures of the school yard and stuff so they know that you really do have a place to take him for exercise. If you ever did anything with your previous dog then take proof of that too. I took pictures of Nare being worked on sheep and ducks, his score book for Schutzhund and Rally..
I was probably over-the-top with my approach but was previously denied by some rescues because I'm 18, still in high school and have a part-time job. But every ounce of free-time goes to trying to improve my bond with my dogs.
They were impressed and noted what I was looking for in a dog and put me on a list to call if the kind of dog I was interested in came through. At the time I was looking for a young Doberman but they got a surrendered litter of White GSD pups and.. Well. You know how it goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

Dog Health > Its always Arkane..
Arkane

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:31pm PST 
He had the issues for 2 days prior of the doxy though. ): He got bit by the tick in the AM and by PM he wasn't eating (nor pooping). The next day he didn't poop until the PM and would only eat a handful of cheerios at a time, was vomiting water. Took him to the vets that night and posted this thread the next day (where he started eating little bits of lunch meat).
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dunlop, Apr 29 1:23 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.