Postings by Qwigley

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDIT PA in CA???

Qwigley

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 12:06pm PST 
I have and they knew nothing about it so I guess it depens on who's working maybe.

ALSO At least for the LA zoo the don't allow dogs that are in training. If you have a service dog you call ahead and inform them you are coming and you get a map of the areas you can go.
idk what it's like for other zoos, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 23 7:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDIT PA in CA???
Qwigley

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 3:04pm PST 
regarding the marked with a tag- you can get a tag for sdit's but it's incredibly elusive so if you can find one please tell me where they are ahahaha. SDiT's can go anywhere an SD can go, with the exception of the Zoo.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 23 7:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Pet Peeve

Qwigley

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:38am PST 
pet peeve; When I'm waiting for the bus and it pulls up, they see my dog, and won't open the doors just shaking their head frantically and mouthing 'no'. This happened the other day and I finally got so mad I picked Qwigley up, turned him around and pointed viciously at his 'service dog in training' patch. I shouldn't have to do that. In CA I have the same PA rights as a service dog and they can't refuse me. It really pisses me off that they don't even open the door to hear me. It also makes me mad at the thought that if he HADN'T been wearing his vest, the bus would have just driven away.

What pisses me off more is the bus drivers that literally don't stop to even check if he's a service dog and just drive on by.

And one time I got on the bus and argued the whole time with the driver that she wouldn't get in trouble for me being on there with him. She was talking about how she'd get in big trouble if someone found out and I kept telling her no she wouldn't because my dog was allowed on the bus and UGH

I really wish I had my own vehicle.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 2:54 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Force Free Training

Qwigley

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:17am PST 
I aaaalways take treats and a clicker with me on walks. One treat I've found that Qwigs will ignore everything else in order to get(even small dogs lunging at him on a walk) is kidneys. They're cheap too, just boil them for ten minutes, cut em up and bam, treat heaven.

Also are you taking walks out of necessity or doing them right before you have to go somewhere so you are pressed for time? I usually make sure I have a good slot of time for the walk so that I can train if we run into any training issues while on the walk. That way I don't get too frustrated and pressed for time.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Qwigley, Jan 22 7:17 am

Dog Health > Male Sheath problems? (awkward)

Qwigley

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 7:16am PST 
no when I first found him a year ago, he did have hair matt at the very tip which had caused a small infection, since then I've kept the area hair-free so there aren't any hair problems :/
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Jan 19 8:46 am

Dog Health > Male Sheath problems? (awkward)
Qwigley

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:23pm PST 
Have you ever heard of a dogs sheath growing closed? Qwigleys sheath has extra skin at the tip and kind of folds inward(it's caused sheath infections before) and this evening it was completely closed up.

I've only seen 'the lipstick' once and even when he wasn't neutered he seemed to have a hard time pushing it out.

I'm a little worried about this possibility and really confused as it's nothing I've seen or encountered before.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Jan 19 8:46 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reactive to other dogs on walks, tips?

Qwigley

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 9:22am PST 
Well for anyone else that has an over excited dog when encountering other dogs, here's what I've been doing the past week that seems to be getting results.

I cooked up some tasty tasty chicken and I take it with me on the walk, whenever we encounter another dog (walking by us or behind a fence) I stop and every couple of seconds call his name in an upbeat tone. When he makes eye contact, I say 'good'(or you could use a clicker) and give him a piece of the tasty chicken.

We do this until he is just looking at me(and sitting), not the other dog, and then we begin to walk away. Now sometimes he is still agitated or anxious so we'll stop again and repeat until we can walk away peacefully and without any pulling/lunging or skittering around my feet.

So far it's doing well, and today he ALMOST ignored one of the regular dogs on our morning walk! It might work faster/better with a clicker, so we're going to go and get one today. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Qwigley, Dec 10 9:22 am

Qwigley

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:23pm PST 
Ah I see, sorry about the choice of words then :S He just gets over-excited

That's one of the first methods we used but he doesn't care/it doesn't work. We tried it for a couple of weeks and it never made any difference.

Also most of the dogs we come in contact with are on walks and I really need something we can work on during the walk. I can practice with other dogs but it takes a lot of coordination and I can't do it every day.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Qwigley, Dec 10 9:22 am

Qwigley

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:13pm PST 
Qwigley is a saint, he walks well 90% of the time but obviously that won't cut it. The only time he breaks a heel is when he sees another dog. Sometimes he just perks up, keeps looking back at the dog, etc. At his worst, he will start crying, jumping around/getting underfoot and once he kicked up dirt.

He's done this since I found him about a year ago and I've payed attention to it in training with varying amounts of success over the months, but it never completely goes away. (though I have to admit we haven't done INTENSE focus on it)

He also remembers which houses have dogs in the yard(either all the time or only part of the time) and whenever we pass by these yards, he begins to "stand tall", lose focus on me etc.

I really want him to be my SD but I also understand that this impossible to do until he's completely apathetic towards other dogs.

help?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Qwigley, Dec 10 9:22 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.