Postings by Cherry

GO!

Puppy Place > Homemade Treats that are safe for puppy tummies?

Cherry

Pretty please,- with a cherry on- top?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:18pm PST 
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any easy treat ideas for pups that I could make at home, maybe for my girl to entertain herself with in her crate...

With my last dog I used to spread a bit of peanut butter along the rims of one of those hollowed-out bones you can get at the store, and stick it in the freezer. I don't know if that's a little too much for a 4 mo. old digestive tract to handle?

A friend of mine suggested pumpkin, but I'm hesistant about that, as well.

Does anyone have any siggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tanqueray Tonic, Jan 20 12:59 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy Biting - whats normal, whats not?
Cherry

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:05am PST 
Thank you, Lily. The only thing is, her breeder advised me to stick my fingers in her mouth: pull on her canines and firmly say, "NO." Either that, or close her mouth and do it.

So far, nothing is working. Cherry gets really revved up and starts biting and pulling at my sleeves, pants... She does the same to my mother, who is not willing to simply "ignore her and walk away". This puppy bites frequently and HARD. I have marks all over my elbows.

The "just say ow" method I keep hearing about only gets her more excited. It is hard to get a grip on her to handle her muzzle. Walking away gets her to follow me and be even more persistent.

I have tried my best to be consistent, trying each method over a period of maybe 4 days. Maybe that isn't long enough. It's very difficult. And frustrating, and PAINFUL.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Cherry

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:48am PST 
Okay, so yesterday I had a bit of a breakthrough, and I wanted to share the idea to see if others agree or want to try it...

On Saturday, Cherry had a play-date with my dad's girlfriend's dog, Coco. The second Cherry got close to Coco, Coco let out a little snarl and Cherry IMMEDIATELY flipped over on her back.

The whole play-date was like watching a documentary on wolf behavior. Cherry kept wanting to play with Coco no matter what, but was always sure to keep her head down and her body low when she approached her.

I e-mailed Cherry's breeder, who confirmed my suspicion that Cherry's temperament would give me a good advantage when training her. As far as play biting went, she advised me to stick my finger behind Cherry's canine tooth and say "No!" in a very commanding voice.

It was hard getting that close fast enough, though. I discovered that I was able to wrap my hand around her muzzle, though.

I tried this entirely on a whim: yesterday when we were playing on the floor together, Cherry got extra excited and started up the play biting. I tried for her canine tooth but again, hard to do. When she next started to jump up to nip me on the nose, I quickly grabbed her muzzle with one hand and placed the other behind her ears, pushing gently. I said "NO" in my assertive tone and she went still. I quickly released her and she looked at me, then quietly went to pick up her rope toy.

Does anyone think that was too much? From my point of view I didn't hurt her or anything, I just took advantage of her natural personality and got the result I wanted. I've tried it twice now when she's gotten overexcited and nippy and it's worked.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Puppy Place > Puppy's first Christmas... Advice on keeping Cherry on the "Nice" list??

Cherry

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:14am PST 
Thank you for the responses!

My mother isn't willing to put up a gate or pen as far as blockades are concerned. thinking

Last night I remembered that I have a bottle of Bitter Yuck! leftover from my last dog's hectic upbringing. I sprayed the lowest branches and the lowest area to the tree skirt. When I let Cherry out again (her play area is near the tree, unfortunately) she paid little attention to the tree... When she did go over to nip at a branch, though, I clapped my hands loudly and my Mom and I said "No!" at the same time. Cherry moved away from the tree, looked over at us, then merrily went on her way.

That was just last night, though. We'll have to see how this plans out.

I'm gonna have to be super diligent about cleaning up those pine needles, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 10:06 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy's first Christmas... Advice on keeping Cherry on the "Nice" list??

Cherry

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:48pm PST 
Hoping the title is self-explanatory.

If not, let me be more specific.

Right now I'm having great difficulty keeping the tree skirt around the tree. Also, my puppy is chewing on the lowest branches and consuming a good amount of needles. She also keeps trying to drink the chemically-altered water we pour in for the tree.

I'm already working on correcting so many other behaviors... Is there something specific I could do to keep her away from the tree?

My last Bully didn't bother the tree at all since he did that "stalking" behavior around it...

Can anybody help, please? Thanks...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 10:06 pm

Puppy Place > Jumping/Clawing on people--when and how to discourage it?
Cherry

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:00am PST 
Oh! Got it. I just feel bad sometimes when she claws because she seems like a little toddler wanting to be up in Mommy's arms. cry

She is very smart and tends to catch on quick to these "little" behaviors. Almost as soon as I taught her "sit", she started doing it all the time, LOL. Like, "Yeah, doing this gets me treats every time! I better be ready!" And often I'll be doing something in the kitchen and look up to make sure she's not getting into any trouble--and she'd be right at my ankle, sitting quietly and calmly, looking up at me. WAITING.

It's so hard, though, getting others to follow suit with what I'm doing to train her. My mom is in the habit of saying "down" to reprimand Cherry and I have to keep reminding her that "down" is a behavior, like "sit". She and my dad will also knee her aside or give her a nudge with their foot to discourage the jumping. frown But isn't a physical response like that just encouragement?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cricket, Nov 29 1:34 pm

Puppy Place > Jumping/Clawing on people--when and how to discourage it?

Cherry

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:00am PST 
Hi, I have a 3-month-old Mini Bull Terrier pup who constantly jumps up on people's legs for attention. She is very tiny right now, only about 6 pounds, and I understand that jumping up is a perfectly normal way for a puppy to ask for (a mommy's) attention.

What I would like to know is when I should start discouraging this behavior. I know that ideally I can teach her to sit and wait for people to lean over and give her pets and lovings. As I said though, she is small--she can't even manage stairs right now--so I'm wondering if it is too early? We also hold her a lot, so I wonder if she's jumping up to ask for that as well.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cricket, Nov 29 1:34 pm

Cherry

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:51am PST 
Posting again to update and bump up the thread.

Definitely going to try the peanut butter game (which I'll link here for anyone else here who wants to give it a go.

I don't think this will solve our ankle biting/pant leg issue, though. It looks like it might only help with hands... shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Cherry

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 1:25pm PST 
I just welcomed a 3-month-old Miniature Bull Terrier into my home, right at the beginning of the teething stage. She not only grabs at my pant legs when I walk, she will also sometimes completely drop what she's doing to clamp onto part of a table or chair. There is no hesitation. I do my best to shove a toy in her face but sometimes it isn't distracting enough or I don't have a toy at my disposal (like when we play outside).

Has anyone found anything SPECIFIC that can distract a dog from chewing the house to pieces?
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.