GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?
Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:44pm PST 
An irish wolfhound. He is only about 50 lbs! He's a giant schnauzer/spoo mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Piper, Jul 8 9:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Is a Psych SD good for my husband/How do we find one?!
Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:58pm PST 
The first thing you would do is go and make sure he is considered "disabled" by ADA standards as diagnosed by a clinician.

If and when he is found to be disabled (which in all honesty he may not, if his life is not severely impacted) then you would start thinking of tasks that would be performed to help him. After that you think of a dog size that can accomodate those tasks (ex. a small dog may not be able to effectively block a person, and a very large dog may not be comfortable to perform deep pressure with.)

After you'e picked a size (small, medium, large, xlarge) then decide if there are other factors in place. (ex. an allergy in the family might be dealt with with a lower shedding dog). Decide what you can and can't deal with (hair, grooming, slobber, brachiocephalic, etc) and that should significantly slim down your list. Gender may or may not be important to you. Decide this now.

Once you've narrowed down to a breed or two you can much more easily look into rescues and breeders for this. For breeders, make sure you can meet the parents, because they are the best judge of temperament. Also look for service or therapy dogs in the lines. Health testing is also very important, because you want the SD to have a long, healthy working life.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Jan 7 11:00 pm

Food & Nutrition > Confession time. What's the worst snack/food thing you'll still give your dog?

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:45pm PST 
Usually I try to give my boys healthy stuff, but the boys paws down favorite would be vanilla ice cream! A spoonful to each of them whenever I have ice cream. It's a doggy delicacy!
[notify]
» There has since been 60 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Jan 22 4:22 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question about canine good citizen test.

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:09am PST 
Toto, that makes a lot of sense, since we were doing the CGC part of the TDI test.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by AILBE, Service Dog In Tng, Jan 13 6:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question about canine good citizen test.

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 6:55pm PST 
My CGC evaluator told me the same thing. I ended up sitting the test. We passed. I have read somewhere that it is a dog/handler test, but I've misplaced where.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by AILBE, Service Dog In Tng, Jan 13 6:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tasks
Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:40pm PST 
Sadie, she means using the dog to block the human, not teaching the dog to go behind the human and use her as a shield. She has no intentions of protecting the dog, rather to use the dog to protect her.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 10:31am PST 
Your posting insinuated you were going to. I can only assume you would have since you took your pet other places a pet cannot, should not, go.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:57pm PST 
Regardless of whether they know the laws or not, you do, and you cannot take your pet into a food store.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 7:17pm PST 
If you're in a place with not a lot of people shouldn't there be a far higher likelihood of them giving you space than in a crowded place? Besides, having trained with a 6 lb SDIT, people do not give you space, if anything they just come closer.

Your dog's lack of interest in your episodes could mean one of two things. Either she is simply uninterested and may or may not be able to be taught to recognize them, and if she can, may or may not be able to alert, or notices and is stressed out by you attempting to make her "ground" you. Grounding is something YOU do. What many newbie SD handlers don't realize is that the dog aides you with tools to recognize your own imbalances. You yourself have to have the tools to take over and calm yourself. Bella is a furry comfort. You need to use that comfort to calm yourself. She can't and shouldn't be expected to do it all for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice
Mateo

Super Service- Schnoodle

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 5:42am PST 
I also think that CM is full of crap.

Consistency is probably going to be most helpful to you and your puppy. Plan a routine, stick to it. If you plan on not letting your dog on certain furniture, never let them start, if they are to eat in a certain room, that's where they should eat, etc. If you plan on having your pup sleep in bed with you, let the puppy sleep in your bed. I don't think it screws with "pack structure" to let a dog, especially a puppy, sleep with you, so long as you are consistent on rules, and structure.

I can't recommend anything because each author has pros and cons, and it is really up to you to decide what style you raise your pup with.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Happy, Dec 13 7:16 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.