Postings by Sirius

GO!

Behavior & Training > guarding

Sirius

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:02pm PST 
Family member. She was planning on breeding them at some point, but this had been an opps litter. Another family member was in the hospital and at some point the male was let out of the basement and got to the female.

But yeah, they were in over their heads. I spent a lot of time helping out, got offered a puppy. I was already attached anyway but I had been wanting a much smaller dog.

my vet seemed concerned she hadn't gone into heat yet as well, but everyone I've talked to said they come into heat later. Her dad is a huge dog, she's already bigger than her mom.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sirius, Nov 13 1:02 pm

Sirius

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 4:29am PST 
She was from a litter of 9 (2 were born dead though). She guarded everything when I first got her around 9 weeks old. I was going to wait until 12 wks but she was the last puppy and we see her parents all t he time so I figured might as well take her home. She hasnt been in heat yet.

She's not left alone unsupervised unless crated or baby gated anyway. I feed raw as well. I was watching her eat this morning and I started to realize how paranoid she seems that the other animals want her food. Any time they get within 3 ft she stops to watch them until they move on.

I'm going to put the other dog in the crate and work with her that way. It seems more reasonable and fairly safe. I'm almost positive it's guarding. They get along so well and the it does seem to happen when there's a goodie. I'm not so sure about the toher night, but it could be she was guarding me or the couch and I just didn't realize it at the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sirius, Nov 13 1:02 pm

Sirius

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 2:38pm PST 
I think the leash idea would work, when I'm right next to them and they have food the most that happens is Sirius will sort of nudge the other dog away, just like she does with the cats actually.

The dogs lay with each other, play, and otherwise get along. shrug

Oh no, crate has never been used for punishment. she'll sleep in it and take her toys to it. She doesn't seem to like it as much as other dogs I've owned have though.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sirius, Nov 13 1:02 pm

Sirius

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 2:08pm PST 
well she has the same food in the crate with her. She just won't eat in her crate for some reason. Never has. I've had to use baby gates for meal times.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into your suggestion.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sirius, Nov 13 1:02 pm

Sirius

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 1:02pm PST 
So when I got my puppy, I worked on having her let me reach in her mouth, have my hands by her food while she's eting, the cats by her food, even my other dog. She knows leave it, give it, drop it.

Lately she's been guarding her chews. She'll just push the cats away. If I'm there she doesn't react at all.

My elderly dog though, she can't see very well and she'll wander over to the puppy while she's chewing. Sirius freezes, ears back. I tell her no, drop it! but it's like she doesn't know I'm there. By the time I reached for her, she's already on my other dog. Shaking her. So I grabbed her hind legs and lifted her up. She drops the other dog and that's the end.

So I figure, it's over high resources. So I make sure hwen they're in the same room nothing is on the floor. Trying to figure out how to approach this otherwise. But last night, it happened again and I really can't figure out what she was guarding.

So now I'm afraid to have them in the same room. I tried kenneling Sirius and tossing a high value reward closer and closer to her kennel while the other animals ate it. As long as she can't see me she's watching the other animals hard. Soon as it gets close enough to get agrowl, I move the food back away and reward her for not reacting. is this a good idea? It's the only thing I could think of to work wtih her on this...
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sirius, Nov 13 1:02 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.