Postings by Sparkles

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Bulldog > Skin issues...home remedies?
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Fri Feb 14, '14 1:44pm PST 
Sparkles has issues too. Anything from yeasty ears to corneal ulcers from dry eye. At one point, her skin became scabby all over her body and she had yeast infections in random places on her skin. We found out that adding a tablespoon of organic coconut oil to her food morning and evening helps dramatically. Her fur is soft and shiny and she's energetic and healthy. She also has to eat only grain free and fish based food since grains fuel yeast and she's allergic to so many proteins. We recently added the organic Apple cider vinegar to her food morning and night also because she still has some yeasty issues in the winter but that's mostly because she has to wear a cone and she gets snow in it which gets her chest wet lol. These bulldogs, love them, but they have the biggest issues lol
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 27 3:13 pm

Dog Health > Itchy Bullie... Tried Everything!
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 7:04am PST 
We've had serious problems with Sparkles being itchy. Hers turned out to be a combination of gluten sensitivity and allergies. We put her on wellness core ocean. It has no grains, is poultry free and gluten free. She also gets a tablespoon of organic coconut oil in her food twice a day. Her itchiness has dramatically decreased. I recommend trying something like that. Sparkles still gets itchy if she hasn't had a bath in a while. We use a tea tree oil shampoo. Try avoiding oatmeal and looking for tea tree oil. Some dogs, especially ones with yeast issues (like our Sparkles) can't use shampoo with oatmeal in it because it agitates the yeast and makes them itchier. Good luck!)
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 27 1:47 pm

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 7:00am PST 
We've had serious problems with Sparkles being itchy. Hers turned out to be a combination of gluten sensitivity and allergies. We put her on wellness core ocean. It has no grains, is poultry free and gluten free. She also gets a tablespoon of organic coconut oil in her food twice a day. Her itchiness has dramatically decreased. I recommend trying something like that. Sparkles still gets itchy if she hasn't had a bath in a while. We use a tea tree oil shampoo. Try avoiding oatmeal and looking for tea tree oil. Some dogs, especially ones with yeast issues (like our Sparkles) can't use shampoo with oatmeal in it because it agitates the yeast and makes them itchier. Good luck!)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 27 1:47 pm

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 11:16am PST 
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 27 1:47 pm

Behavior & Training > moving-how to make the transition smoother

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:51am PST 
Just an update: we've been at our new house for about a month now. It only took the puppies about a week to realize that this is home now and I think they love it smile Sparkles loves chasing the kids in the giant yard and feels it's her duty to accompany me every time I go out to hang clothes on the line or wander around to check the garden and flowers. She always has to go and find a stick to run around with, usually stealing one from the fire pit (when it's not lit obviously). Her fears of things unknown seem to be fading out and the other day, she saw a rabbit run through the yard and almost chased after it but thankfully stopped when I called her. She really enjoys exploring the woods too but will only go in there if someone else is. Usually the kids. Rocky is excited to actually be able to get out and run (now that he's learned the boundaries) but his favorite things are laying in the grass in the sun and falling asleep next to the fire pit in the evenings when we have a fire going. I think an excellent way for an old man to retire smile. The only problem we've had with him so far is the fact that he doesn't like other dogs so we just need to watch when we let him out off leash. Most of the neighbors around here have dogs that are permitted to wander. They're all good dogs though, is just Rocky who has his issues. Dreamy, though she can't be off leash at all, is truly enjoying having a 30 foot tie out and ground to explore. She's dug two holes so far (which she never got to do before), and enjoys sniffing her entire area every morning for the scent of the bunnies and deer that wandered through over night. She's had a bit of bad luck though too though. The second week we were here, she got sung or bit by something (it was dark out) and her entire face swelled up like a balloon for about 12 hours. Eventually though, the swelling went down and the benedryl helped. Then, yesterday, she dove into the shed while we were out there and caught a large toad but she must've punctured it or something because there was this white foamy stuff and she was shaking her head from the bad taste. She threw up a few times from that but now she's back to normal. Darn prey drive lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jul 23 4:54 am

Behavior & Training > moving-how to make the transition smoother
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:48am PST 
Just an update: we've been at our new house for about a month now. It only took the puppies about a week to realize that this is home now and I think they love it smile Sparkles loves chasing the kids in the giant yard and feels it's her duty to accompany me every time I go out to hang clothes on the line or wander around to check the garden and flowers. She always has to go and find a stick to run around with, usually stealing one from the fire pit (when it's not lit obviously). Her fears of things unknown seem to be fading out and the other day, she saw a rabbit run through the yard and almost chased after it but thankfully stopped when I called her. She really enjoys exploring the woods too but will only go in there if someone else is. Usually the kids. Rocky is excited to actually be able to get out and run (now that he's learned the boundaries) but his favorite things are laying in the grass in the sun and falling asleep next to the fire pit in the evenings when we have a fire going. I think an excellent way for an old man to retire smile. The only problem we've had with him so far is the fact that he doesn't like other dogs so we just need to watch when we let him out off leash. Most of the neighbors around here have dogs that are permitted to wander. They're all good dogs though, is just Rocky who has his issues. Dreamy, though she can't be off leash at all, is truly enjoying having a 30 foot tie out and ground to explore. She's dug two holes so far (which she never got to do before), and enjoys sniffing her entire area every morning for the scent of the bunnies and deer that wandered through over night. She's had a bit of bad luck though too though. The second week we were here, she got sung or bit by something (it was dark out) and her entire face swelled up like a balloon for about 12 hours. Eventually though, the swelling went down and the benedryl helped. Then, yesterday, she dove into the shed while we were out there and caught a large toad but she must've punctured it or something because there was this white foamy stuff and she was shaking her head from the bad taste. She threw up a few times from that but now she's back to normal. Darn prey drive lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jul 23 4:54 am

Dog Health > systemic yeast?

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:48am PST 
Mazzy-yes I did switch her back to the food she was on before. She only had the TOTW for 3 days. I never actually had her tested but I used to buy chicken jerky treats with the only ingredient being chicken. She ate one and then broke out in hives and itched like a maniac. She used to get that way any time she'd have food with eggs in it too. I tried duck jerky, it wasn't quite as bad of an outbreak but it was still hives and itches. I was told by the person I got her from that she couldn't have any grains. She was already 6 months old at the time. I may be off a little on her allergies but processed poultry is a definite.

I gave her a bath yesterday, avoiding her stitches (they're almost completely healed now) in an tea tree oil and aloe shampoo (no oatmeal). I was able to keep the cone off until she was completely dry. She looked like she was feeling great.

Babe- I was thinking that we may have to go raw also. It's just intimidating. Hers isn't quite as severe as yours and I'm hoping it never gets that bad. Right now, she's eating wellness core ocean. I know there's potatoes in there but it's father down the list. It is gluten free though so I think that's helping a lot. I was considering trying the honest kitchen zeal formula but I'm just not sure. I think I might start adding yogurt to her food also for the active cultures.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Babe, Jun 6 6:46 am

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 8:09am PST 
Lol, its ok Scooter. I'm all about home remedies and homeopathic stuff. I honestly think half the time it works better than meds from the vet smile This is another one for me to write down for future reference smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Babe, Jun 6 6:46 am

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 5:27am PST 
Thank you Toto, I will remember that. I just wanted to give you guys an update. Since I stayed treating it, 3-4 days ago, it looks so much better. She obviously feels better too as she's running around and playing like a nut lol. The smell has dramatically faded and isn't even noticeable any more. It is still itchy but nowhere near as extreme as before. I was able to keep the come off her for a couple hours yesterday before she tried to itch. I'm going to continue to treat it for probably a good 2 weeks to make sure it goes away and as soon as her stitches heal up, I'll be giving her a good bath smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Babe, Jun 6 6:46 am

Raw Food Diet > need a menu. help please?
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 10:09am PST 
Thank you maxwell! How do you know if it's non-enhanced? Do you just mean not flavored at all? We usually go to imler's poultry and buy a 10 lb bag of chicken thighs at a time. Is the bagged stuff ok or should we have them weigh out 10 lbs of mixed stuff like thighs and breasts? Also, when giving beef, is ground beef ok? It's extremely low fat content (don't even have to drain it when we cook it). Things like pork, should we go for tenderloin or bony? Should I stick with meat only or should I add things like carrots and other veggies, coconut oil? Whole fish or filets? And if no fish, how much fish oil? will wild caught fish like trout, bass, and crappie work? I know, I ask a lot of questions but I pretty much analyze everything I do completely before I dive in.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hank, Jun 3 2:15 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.