GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dog Health > Someone explain this
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 11:43am PST 
Quincy is 15 months old and I've only trimmed his when he was a puppy, up until about 5 months of age.
The same is true with my poodles, those with "correct" cat feet do not need trimming nearly as often as the ones with flatter feet, called "paper feet" in poodles. Sadly, good feet are one of the first things lost in not so good breedings so it is really difficult to find many poodles and/or labs with proper feet.
A correct foot (well arched metatarsals and strong toes),will allow the toenails to be worn off as needed. If the foot is flatter with flatter toes the nails spread forward rather than down and do not wear off as much.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Oct 22 1:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw diet
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:39pm PST 
I agree with Max. MOST all arthritis drugs are extremely hard on the liver and it takes months and months to return to normal after stopping these drugs.
Many Labradors are so sensitive to Rimadyl that they can suffer complete liver failure from just ONE dose of it.
I would definitely start supplementing with Milk Thistle and maybe even SamE. It can't hurt and can certainly help!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 11 4:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed guesses now that he's older

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Sun Sep 22, '13 9:53am PST 
Onyx, that lurch you see is fairly common in my labs when they are not running full out. I have a zillion photos of Quincy like that cuz he sort of lopes around when he's out with the little guys. I wouldn't doubt there is some lab in that guy, and this is from the person who ALWAYS says people pick lab as part of a mix way, way too often!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Sep 22 1:00 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Neverest labs?

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 8:48am PST 
"Wondering too what you think of her (near compulsory) c section "policy?" I've never heard of Labs having trouble with whelping even enormous sized litters, is there really a medical need for it? I understand with certain breeds it's necessary often times, buy have you EVER heard of such a thing with Labs? I can't imagine it's safe to keep breeding a bitch who has had multiple multiple c sections, and it's evident she does bree..... them at least once a year .....you'd think that would make breeding more dangerous, no?"
I don't like that one bit! To me, unless you have a difficult breed like my Frenchies, it is a lazy man's way to get puppies without spending all night and all day with the bitch, and is certainly tough on the bitch, both medically AND mentally. IMO, c-section begets c-section, and who in their right mind would keep breeding a lab who needed sections to deliver??? That is right up there with other congenital issues, IMO. I had ONE lab who had a section after a puppy got hung in the pelvis. I did not breed her again!!
And, yes, if you show up enough at UKC events you WILL finish your championship, you only have to beat ONE other of your breed (either sex) to win each point. For one point in AKC, depending on the region, it is anywhere from 5 to 11 of your same sex needing to be beat, and you also need THREE majors where you must beat a larger number (not sure how many currently and am at work so I can't look it up but it used to be 20 something for 3 points and on up to a total of 5 points available at most per show.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Nov 17 6:57 am

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 4:14pm PST 
Pretty much agree with you all... LOVE the pedigrees and the health clearances, believe she is doing way too many litters and only breeding to produce puppies and, while the "normal" price for a good, health cleared lab IS $1500+ here on the East Coast, I cannot agree with her prices, especially the part about boarding after 8 weeks.
And, finally, one of MY pet peeves...THREE vaccines before 7 weeks of age??? WTF???? Talk about messing up an immune system.
Honestly, it appears to me that she may have started out on the right track years ago but has now given in to the lure of a fast buck. The only current showing appears to be via UKC, and there don't appear to be any current titles on the back end of the names.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Nov 17 6:57 am

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 3:31pm PST 
Charlie, most of the labs currently showing now ARE fat, even OBESE, because for some stupid reason, that is what is winning in the show ring today. You do not have to, nor should you keep this kind of weight on your SD, for that matter, ANY pet lab. Go to Quincy's page and check out his pictures. He is a big boy from strictly show lines, but in no way is he overweight nor obese. Sadly, in the near future he will have to gain some weight to begin his show career but as soon as he is finished, that weight WILL come right back off!!!! The nice part of being a lab, he will HAPPILY gain that needed weight!
As for your kennel comments, I had to laugh!!!! I own a boarding kennel and I swear, I cannot stand ANY of my labs when they are in my kennel!!! They are insane, crazy, loud, obnoxious, all of the above. Yet, when these same dogs are in my house they are cool, calm and collected. The girls that work for me are convinced I must keep them tranquilized when they are here at home because they cannot believe they are the same dogs!!
I remind myself that I should NEVER, EVER judge a person's Labrador by how it is acting in the boarding kennel, BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Nov 17 6:57 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Stunning dog, but red Labradors?

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 3:51pm PST 
Ty, he looks like the old Blaircourt labs!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rolo, Aug 22 10:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Stunning dog, but red Labradors?

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 12:24pm PST 
Fox red is my very, very favorite all time lab color. All the years I was breeding and showing them I was trying to find a nice fox red but all the ones I found were much too fieldy to show in breed.
I did end up with one who was pretty dark once, about what I would call apricot in my poodles, but the judges just wouldn't put her up, even though she had great conformation!
It seems to run in the lines with some chocolate in them, IMO. It is really hard to get one with good, black pigment and nice dark eyes though!
I have NEVER seen a silver that even looked remotely like a good labrador should, and all of them have pointed ears while a purebred lab always has rounded ears. Again, just my opinion!
I have had several black and tans or chocolates and tans show up over the years... that little throwback seems a little too common in some of todays show lines, sadly. They are attractive, but look like a mix with dobe or rotti.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rolo, Aug 22 10:07 am

Dog Health > Not eating... (sort of)... Should I be worried?

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:51am PST 
To prevent bile pukes, make sure he eats two meals a day. Just put way less in his breakfast OR pick up what he doesn't eat and give it back to him in the evening for his evening meal.
I usually feed my bigger boys (labs, GSD's) twice a day, the others only eat once a day.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:51 am

Dog Health > Not eating... (sort of)... Should I be worried?
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 5:15pm PST 
Charlie, my labs end up eating exactly HALF what they ate as growing pups and it seems to happen overnight.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:51 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.