Postings by Abrams Tank SDiT

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hands off policy. No petting!
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 5:41pm PST 
While my husband allows petting of his SDiT Tank I dont allow it when it comes to Tanks sister Belladonna. Because my husband is a disabled veteran and a minister he allows the petting but there have been times that Tank was not only petted but swamped by people wanting to pet him. I should add that if someone asks kindly like the lady that saw my husband and I in walmart a few weeks ago with the dogs. She was curious about the dogs because being in a small rural area there are not many SD's around and it is odd to see two working SDiTs and their handlers in the same area at the same time. Well this day this lady was kind enough to ask before she petted the dogs. I did allow it because Bella was being very good that day and being petted was her reward.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 14 5:41 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harley
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Fri Oct 4, '13 4:46pm PST 
Harley I sent you a paw mail with a link to a place you might be able to get some help with his vet bills. I hope it helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Oct 29 5:20 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introduction time~! Woof woof!

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 12:34pm PST 
Welcome Yoshi I'm Tank and I am a PTSD alert SDiT and I am 21 months old. I am much bigger than you at 80 pounds, and next year we hope that I can become my daddy's mobility dog as well as his PTSD dog. My sister Bella is my moms Psychiatric SDiT and she is the same age of me but she is 20 pounds less than me. We are half lab and half GSD. You can always send us each a pup pal request if you want.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zoey, Oct 2 1:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog friendly Psychiatrists?

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 8:31pm PST 
I dont know about in your area but I would suggest calling the psychiatrists in your area and explain to them that you have a SD and that he gives you freedom that you cannot get by having a human family member with you. I know that where I am one of the psychiatrist offices wanted my husband to sign a paper that said if anything happened to his first SD Buddy he would not hold them to blame. They also said that my hubby was paranoid schizophrenic with antisocial personality disorder and antisocial bordering on suicidal tendencies. The next psychiatrist who saw him said no that he has PTSD. I have been told by his current psychiatrist,who is through the VA, that I have secondary PTSD as well as a few other things going on. He has watched me work with the hubby's current SDiT Tank and says that he doesnt see why I couldnt and shouldnt have my own SD who is Tank's sister Queen Belladonna aka Bella. I would suggest that you call around and ask how they handle a SD and handler team when one comes in.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 1 8:31 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Gotta brag on my Bella and on Tank

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 8:21pm PST 
Today was Bella's first day going into a store other than Rural King and Petsmart. She had on her new vest and her tags, she doesnt wear them at home because I dont want them getting lost. Her tags are her rabies tag and her id tag. Well anyway we were in walmart, myself,Bella, my husband and Tank, we had to go get some medicine for my husband's cold and since we had already been out with the dogs paying bills and they were already in work gear we used the med trip as a training run. As we were standing in line a lady came up behind me and Bella did what I have been trying to teach her since we started training her eight months ago. She stepped between myself and the lady as a buffer. The lady ignored her and stepped closer then Bella did something I didnt expect. She pushed against the lady as if she were saying to her 'step back you are making my mom nervous. The lady looked down and saw what was pushing against her legs and stepped back with a quick "I'm sorry I didnt see the dog. Will you be giving her up when she is finished training?" I said no that she is staying with us.
Now on to the brag on Tank. He is an old paw at the walmart thing because he has been doing the public access part since he was around 7 months old I think. Anyway we had been in one of the isles before we went to check out and this little kid saw him and wanted to come over to say hi. The kids mom asked first of course so my hubby said yes. Anyway the kid tripped over his shoestring and fell landing right on Tank's tail and back leg. Tank never barked nipped or even whined. He just laid there as the kid got up and gave him a big hug. Tank raised his head and gave the kid a little Tank kiss on the nose as if he was saying 'its ok kid we all fall now and then.' the kids mom was very sorry and kept saying so. Even though Tank got fallen on I have to say that all in all we had a good day except for Bella getting sick in her crate, which was my fault I forgot because she has done so well not getting car sick, that she cannot be fed before a trip. The good thing was none of it got on her gear. It was all undigested kibble. Taught me to not feed her next week when my hubby has to go to the VA clinic for labs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 1 8:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dog friendly hotels in and around Gatlinburg TN.
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 4:59pm PST 
Next October my husband and I will be traveling with our two SDiTs Tank and Bella to Gatlinburg TN for my stepson's wedding. We are planning to stay in a hotel and a lot of the pet friendly ones I have looked at have weight limits or number of dog limits in the rooms. Some have weight limits of under 30 pounds and only allow one dog in the room. A lot of them also have bad reviews such as the rooms stunk of dog urine or smoke. I am looking for a hotel with a reasonable rate no pet fee and a good rating but also no weight limit because Tank is 80 pounds and Bella is 60 pounds. Also does anyone know the laws regarding SDiTs in TN? I am thankful for any help.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Sep 30 8:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > ADA cards?

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 7:26pm PST 
workingservicedog.com carries them. I just ordered some for my husband and I for our SD's. They are really inexpensive for a pack of 20 it was like $5.99. And the orders ship within 1-3 days. I just got part of my order through them today and the rest is set to be delivered tomorrow. Also you can find some at sitstay.com.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by RidgeRunner, Sep 27 9:27 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Access question. Antique car show NO dogs allowed

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 7:26pm PST 
Toto Indiana gives SDiTs all the same rights as fully trained SDs. Most places where we take Tank and Bella such as stores like Walmart dont bother us when we enter the store with the dogs. They dont ask if they are SDs they just ask if we are working with new dogs. The walmart in our town knows us and the dogs and will say hi to us then let us go on with what ever we are doing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Sep 18 7:26 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Access question. Antique car show NO dogs allowed

Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 10:42pm PST 
Over the weekend my husband and I had our first access challenge with Tank and Bella. We have this car show in our local park every year and people ALWAYS bring their dogs. Well for some reason this year they decided that dogs were banned from the park during the car show. We didnt hear the announcement over the radio because the radio in our explorer doesnt work. We get down into the park, unloaded the dogs one at a time put their backpacks on them, minus patches because I havent gotten them in yet, and start walking through the park. I had Bella on my right because thats where I would rather her walk. As we are walking through the park weaving through the crowd with my 16 year old son we are met by one of the car show staff who told us that we needed to take the dogs back to the explorer because the dogs couldnt be in the park. I wasnt feeling real well so my tone was a little sharper than I meant for it to be. I looked at him and said basically "Thats where you are wrong buster these two dogs are SDiTs and therefore can go wherever we go. Like it or not they are going to allow us to enjoy the car show. He started to get a little pushy and I just leveled what my son called "The mom look" on this guy and pushed past him to go take a few pictures of some beautiful cars. Needless to say he didnt bother us again nor did any of the other security staff the rest of the time we were in the park. I know I could have handled it better but I didnt feel well and with all the people that kept walking behind me and the kids that kept pulling on Bella's tail wasnt helping my mood. I had to get tough on these kids who happen to go to school with my son. My son even stepped up and told them that if they didnt stop he would have to talk to the chief (Their NJROTC teacher) and get points taken off their grades. They got the point and left us alone finally. How would you all have handled this security staff member? What could we have done different to keep him from trying to make us take the dogs back to the SUV?
We were going to put their bandana's on but they werent ready to be worn yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Sep 18 7:26 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > To Vest or Not to Vest?
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 10:09pm PST 
Whenever my husband and I take Tank and Bella into pet friendly places we make sure that Tank is in his vest anyway because a lot of people just want to run up and pet him. Granted he is a big baby but we try to educate people every chance we get. Bella tends to be more aloof with strangers but very attentive to me during any outing. The first weekend of September (labor day weekend) for example we took the dogs to a local cave and did some gem mining. We kept the dogs close by us but instead of them having their vests on they were wearing their backpacks. A lot of people figured out right away that they were working dogs and didnt bother them. The dogs loved working and while we were taking a break a lady came over and was talking with us and Bella I guess sensed my stress level starting to rise so she put herself between us and leaned in close to my knees then finally wound up laying her body half in my lap and looking at the lady like she was saying "do you mind stepping back a little you are making mom nervous." She never showed teeth she just gave that look. It got to a point that my 16 year old son finally looked at the lady and said calmly but firmly "It would be a nice thing for you to take a step or two back away from my mom. You are bothering the dog." At 6 foot 5 inches tall and almost 300 pounds of muscle he is not a small boy and not a force to be ignored. The lady got the point and finally after 15 minutes moved on. But in answer to your question I think it is up to you about vesting your SD in pet friendly places.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Oct 24 8:03 pm

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.