Postings by Toby

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Pomeranian > Is my pomeranian a throwback?
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:19pm PST 
My Pom Toby is very large for a Pom. He's almost as big as my small Sheltie. He's very close to 13 inches tall and right now a bit pudgy at 19#. We're working on getting him down to 14-15 pounds which my vet says will be good for him. I adopted him two years ago and he was 8 years old so I have no puppy records for him. I do know who bred him and am sure that he is a purebred Pom.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by D'artagnan, Feb 28 7:35 am

Pomeranian > One Eyed Jack - Pom in desperate need
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:51pm PST 
I'm glad he found a foster home. I hope he's as lucky in getting a forever home. soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Dec 13 6:51 pm

Pomeranian > Our new Pom is quite the little escape artist!

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:46pm PST 
Well the little stinker. laugh out loud Typical Pom though, stubborn and determined.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Dec 13 6:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > About Pomeranians.

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 2:41pm PST 
I took Toby in when my nephew moved. It was one of those "we're moving and can't take the dog" along scenarios. Toby was nine years old and was pretty much ignored and left to do whatever he chose in his previous home so he came with a ton of baggage. I have had Shelties for over 30 years and this little guy is a whole different thing all together. It's been a lot of work to get him where he is now and an education for me.

Toby is a huge barker, much worse than my Shelties. I'm sure some of that can be attributed to lack of training. He is very nervous and high strung. I'm not sure if that is from his previous life or just poor breeding. He is also extremely stubborn. He will happily do what you ask if he wants to if not forget it. He gets along with both my Shelties now but it took months to get here. I agree that they bond to one person more than others. Toby was very jealous at first when I gave attention to the other dogs and would get downright nasty, showing teeth and growling. When he found out that behavior didn't get him sole control of Mom's lap he got over it. Pom's need a kind but firm hand or they will take control.

Now for the good points. Toby is very smart and learns quickly when he wants to. He's come a long way in just a few months. He is also very affectionate and loves to be cuddled. He is a happy little guy and very funny. He is also as cute as can be. My plan when I adopted him was to fix some of his issues and then rehome him but even though he drives me nuts sometimes I think he's here to stay.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Aug 11 2:41 pm

Pomeranian > Strange Behavior

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:20pm PST 
Wish i had some insight for you on what's going on with Yogi. I don't know where you are located but it's been a horrid, hot summer here. My boys are not dealing with it very well. They are not nearly as active as they usually are. Is it possible that Yogi is hiding by the bath tub because it's cooler there? I know the bathroom tends to be the coolest room in my house if I do not have the AC on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Aug 1 8:20 pm

Pomeranian > grooming help?
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 9:27am PST 
Suzi here's a couple of things a groomer told me to do with Toby.

If your dog is not good about brushing the butt tuck the dog under your arm with the head toward the back. Put your arm around the dog right in front of the back legs. Hold firmly just tight enough so the dog can't wriggle. It's a gentle enough hold that it tends not to upset them too much and you have good control over their movement not to mention there's no way they can nip you or the brush. I found this works great and still use it with Toby. He knows now he can't nip at me anymore so he sits when I start to brush his back end. Can't brush the back end when he's sitting on it.

The second thing was to groom with a collar on. Hold the collar at the back of the neck while you brush. This gives you some control and also they can't reach back and nip you.

I thank that groomer every time I brush Toby. Hope this helps you too.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jul 29 9:27 am

Pomeranian > Punishment

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 7:03pm PST 
Bailey is right. The humping is natural dog behavior and I do not think you will ever eliminate it completely. Trying to distract is about all you can do right now. If you neuter him when he's older that may help to lessen the behavior but that's not a for sure thing either.

Please do not ever hit your puppy. Train with positive reinforcement, reward good behavior. As far as the biting goes the method Bailey suggested is good. You can also give a loud OUCH! when he bites and offer a toy or chew stick instead of your arm,finger or whatever he may be biting on. He needs to learn chewing on you is not acceptable behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ty, Jul 29 2:41 pm

Pomeranian > Pom House Training

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 12:59pm PST 
Try to keep keep a consistent schedule and feed him at the same times every day. After a day or so you should see a pattern as to how long after he eats that he will go. It might be 15 minutes, 1/2 hour or maybe longer depends on the dog. Also if you are watching him closely he will probably give signals such as circling and/or sniffing around a lot. If you notice this get him out ASAP chances are he needs to go.

Glad I could be of help and that it seems to be working for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jul 27 12:59 pm

Pomeranian > grooming help?

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:35pm PST 
As someone who adopted a full grown Pom I can relate to everybody's issues with grooming. Toby hated to be brushed when I first got him. His former owners never took very good care of him. The only time he went to the groomers was when he was matted and filthy and they couldn't stand it anymore, so his grooming experiences were all bad. When I tried to brush him he not only growled at me he actually bit me a couple of times.

Just want to let you guys know there is hope. Toby now loves to be brushed but it took me months and months to get here. I started doing a little at a time, when I could see he was getting very stressed and he'd had enough I would stop and try again the next day. I've had him a year and a half and he's been good with the brush for awhile now but he just recently stopped being freaked by scissors. He'll let me trim his coat but is still not good about his feet. I manage to get one done at a time so they do get done but it takes four days to get there. I still don't dare to trim his nails he goes to the vet for that.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jul 29 9:27 am

Pomeranian > Pom House Training
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:11pm PST 
First let me start by saying little Ty is adorable. I can see why you fell in love with him.

I have never house trained a Pom but have trained many dogs of various breeds over the years. JMO but you need to pick a method and stick with it. If you want to paper/pad train then do that. If you want to train for outside then do not use the pads. I think you already realized that it's very confusing for the little guy.

Crate training is a good method. Take him outside when he wakes up and after eating or playing and at regular intervals, and yes I know it will be a pain but even during the night if he needs to go. I promise this middle of the night thing will not last forever. When he is out of the crate you should not let him out of your sight. A lot of people will tie the dog to them with the leash so they cannot sneak off and potty. If you cannot watch him crate him.

When you take him out make sure he goes potty before there is any playing or running around. If he doesn't go right away allow five minutes or so and if he doesn't go take him in and crate him and try again in 15 minutes. When he does go praise him like crazy and even give a small treat if you want to.

If you are not doing it you need to treat the places he has gone with an odor eliminator. You can find these at pet stores and I'm sure Walmart carries them too. The one I use is called OUT! but there are a lot of other brands. If you'd like to go natural a mixture of white vinegar and water will work too.If you don't treat the spots he's soiled he will go back to the same spots and do it again.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jul 27 12:59 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.