Postings by Dexter *CGC silver*

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Raw Food Diet > First raw poop!!!
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:38pm PST 
Lol, I started to panic today as Skip hasn't 'been' yet... But I realised that it's rather normal... Either that, or he's pooped under my bed and I can't smell it big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dexter *CGC silver*, Jun 14 2:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > First raw poop!!!
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 11:49am PST 
Hi guys puppy

So, I've finally switched Skip and Dexter to the raw diet...

I'm loving the poop lol! The smell used to almost knock me out before and I really hated poop scooping the garden... However, after a whole 48 hours of the raw diet, I've found myself waiting for them to poop so I can examine it shh

It's a little bigger than rabbit poop, round, solid and doesn't smell at all big grin

I'm one happy doggie owner!!!

I never thought I'd be so obsessed with my boy's bowel movements lol... The funny yellow-y colour is a bit strange but I've heard that's normal with chicken...

LOVING the raw diet and could kick myself for not switching sooner!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dexter *CGC silver*, Jun 14 2:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Link bit my dad.

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 8:58am PST 
Dexter is fear aggressive.

At first, it was always people he didn't know mixed in with his herding instincts. The first time I witnessed him bite a person was when I went outside my house to welcome my friends who had just arrived, we were in a group and my neighbour walked passed just as Dexter ran out of the house. He obviously saw this person 'outside of the group' and nipped her leg. It didn't require stitches but tore through her jeans ( I had to buy her new jeans and a bunch of flowers, just to sweeten her up). She was fine and explained that she has owned a few BCs in her time. We actually talk more now than we did before the incident BOL and Dexter never held a grudge. It was embarrassing in front of my friends though confused

The second time was when guests arrived at my house. It was dark and Dexter couldn't really see them. He darted barking and one of my friends bent down to stroke him and tell him it was okay. Before I could tell him that was a bad idea, Dexter lunged. It was that moment when I realised his biting incident before was not a one off and I had to take action.

I started with a crate. Created a safe place for him. I taught him that when the doorbell goes, he gets a chew and has to go to his crate. He eventually started to do it on his own. I also told everyone entering my house that they have to completely ignore Dexter until he becomes more comfortable and approaches the visitor, which doesn't take long. I also have a box of tennis balls next to me sofa so that when Dexter does approach, he receives his favourite thing...

I think your main issue though, is educating your dad. We've all told you how neurotic and sensitive BCs are, so that's something you're equipped for puppy But cornering a scared dog and then hitting him for biting, is never going to solve the problem, only worsen it.

My dad, like yours is very old fashioned in his dog training.

When I first brought Skip home, my mum and dad came round to visit and meet the puppy. When Skip had an accident on the carpet, my dad couldn't understand why I just ignored the puppy and cleaned it up without rubbing his nose in it. But he was still extremely receptive when I sat down and explained to him why rubbing a pups nose in his toilet is not a good idea. Through having Rocky, Dexter and now Skip, my dad has learned a lot and is actually totally changed in his training beliefs.

A trainer coming in to your house is a great idea. Fortunately, I live on my own so managed to train my dogs without conflict of beliefs and training techniques.

hug and good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, May 28 12:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Herding Breeds and Neurosis?

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:13pm PST 
You know, if I got £1 for every time someone told me Dexter was beautiful, I'd be a rich girl!

I used to think, "really, he's leggy, scrawny and just plain silly". laugh out loud But now I do see that he is a nice looking dog... Being from working lines, he's taller than any other BC I've ever met, his ears are pointed, he constantly looks like I starve him and is usually covered in paint (he loves to sit against the wall, right beside me whilst I'm painting)... He does, however, have the most gorgeous shiny coat BOL.
A lot of people have asked me if he's crossed with GSD, because of his size and ears but he has waaaay to much BC traits to be GSD. To me he doesn't look like a GSD but I suppose to not-so-educated doggy people, he looks so different to the BCs they're so used to seeing. I usually have to tell them the whole 'he's from working lines, and therefore look different' speech laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sadie, May 29 11:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Herding Breeds and Neurosis?

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 4:05pm PST 
thinking Dexter had nearly all the tendencies Cobain listed...

We've worked through a lot of them but he still re-lapses every now and again :o(

He's extremely needy and has fears when it comes to the silliest things.. Like if I quickly run up the stairs confused

Yup... Neurotic... Dexter really is a nutter! But we're getting there. I've had him almost a year and have been constantly working on his issues. We still have a long way to go!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Sadie, May 29 11:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Just and idea (show vs working Border Collies).
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:12am PST 
I forgot to add...

BCs bred for both working and showing seem to be becoming a bit more popular in the UK, though... Although, I still stand by what I said before, KC registered working line collies are hard to come by, but truly a sight to behold puppy

I'm helping my friend look for the perfect BC puppy at the moment and it seems to be slowly but surely growing in popularity, especially here in Scotland, that puppies are KC registered and registered with the ISDS (International Sheepdog Society), which is good to see...

My friend an I are going to view puppies tomorrow at a farm about an hour away where the parents are both working and Champion showline BCs... We are going to see the parents out working sheep before we meet the puppies puppy The sire is a nation working champion and the dam is first and foremost for showing, but works sheep too...

I'm rather excited puppy

Still, I think there should be more of these breeders around and good for you that you want to add to the working/show lines. I think more breeders of other breeds need to think this way too.

I hope I'm making sense laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Baby, May 13 12:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Just and idea (show vs working Border Collies).

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 11:11am PST 
Dexter is 100% working lines and looks a lot different to the show BC's I've seen.

Dexter is tall, very tall... At our OB class there are ten BC's and Dexter is by far the tallest. He is also a lot more agile looking and has a smooth, short coat... He looks a lot different to the KC pedigree BC's I've met but I know that there are a few breeders here, in the UK that breed for both...

I've never seen one up close enough to have a valid opinion but I think it's a great idea... Some show line breeds really annoy me (not the dog's fault of course).... There isn't an ounce of the original breed in them. Like GSD's for example, when I went to Crufts a couple of years ago, some of the GSD's really struggled in their back legs. Their backs were curved and their hind legs were so short. Poor things. I think more breeders should breed for both conformation and work. Some show breeds are becoming a sorry sight, a shadow of their former working glory :o(

I love the idea of having a dog that can do both...

Dexter, although pure bred, would never be allowed to show. I also think one of the hardships are being able to register work lines with the KC. Working lines are bred to work, show lines are bred for the ring... Some of the best working dogs have been bred and developed over years and most working breeders don't give a hoot about KC registration (quite rightly so), so naturally, introducing working lines in to the show lines, could be an obstacle.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Baby, May 13 12:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > So, convince me. Why should I not get a Border Collie ;)

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 10:55am PST 
Link is beautiful!

I too am interested to find out his energy level... If he has the intelligence of a BC but the laid back demeanour of a Newfie, you're a very lucky owner smile

Keep us posted on how he's getting on... 'Link' is such a cool name too!

Good luck! He sure is a handsome boy smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dunlop, May 15 3:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > So, convince me. Why should I not get a Border Collie ;)

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 2:55pm PST 
I think if you realise how hard it can be, you have nothing to worry about puppy

My family had a Border Collie, Jake when I was young and I remember him being the best dog ever... So when I adopted Dexter, I wasn't prepared lol... I thought BC's were the easiest and naturally best dogs...

I am a true BC advocate... If you're willing to put in the time and effort they need in order to be great dogs, you won't go wrong.

Dexter takes a lot, every day but what I get back is priceless... He's amazing and I wouldn't have him any other way puppy Although I'm sure strangers would disagree laugh out loud

They truly are a great breed if you are willing to be a great owner...

Like others have said, physical exercise is a must, mental exercise is imperative...
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Dunlop, May 15 3:42 am

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 4:44pm PST 
I just wrote a whole novel and then Dogster decided to tell me that there was something in my post that was G Rated!

I lost it all :o(

Long story short... Dexter was neurotic, anxious, fear-aggressive, severely lacked training, a runner, escape artist, timid, obsessive and destructive... Being from working lines, I was prepared for hardships.

One year down the line, he's a lot better but we still have a long way to go before he is perfect.

Border Collies are not for everyone... They require patience, courage, training, strong boundaries and countless amounts of blood, swear and tears. Especially rescues but they are worth every hardship.

Dexter was afraid of everyone, was fear aggressive towards strangers, chased anything that moved, ran away countless times, suffered from seperation anxiety, lacked training -especially recall and never knew how to settle down.

He now has his CGC Silver Award, competes in OB, Flyball and has just started agility...

He gets three hours of exercise a day and keeps me fit. I run with him for at least an hour every day!

He's worth every tear I have shed over him, every moment I've wanted to give up on him and every single moment I have damned myself for even trying...

I hope you're ready puppy

Welcome to the 'Crazy Border Collie Owners' club... Once you join, you'll never look back!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Dunlop, May 15 3:42 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.