GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Raw Food Diet > Finally (almost) going to do it!
Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:29pm PST 
So I bought the 6lb bag of Nature's Variety Raw Beef patties. It was only afterwards that I remembered that normally people start with chicken as the protein. I suspect that Bambi has an allergy to something. It could be the rice/grains that are in his current diet, or it could be chicken, or it could even be environmental. He gets a slight red color on the skin between his hind legs sometimes. So I could go and buy the Nature's Variety Chicken, or even just give him some of Daisy's homemade raw meals (mostly chicken) if chicken is the right way to start. Or does it just not matter since I am giving him pre-made?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Sep 21 5:16 pm

Grooming > Color dyed dogs?
Bambi

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 3:22pm PST 
There is no reason the humanize the dogs here. They don't care what color they are, regardless of if they can see it, just like they don't care what color you are. Last I checked, most dogs don't fix their hair in the mirror before going for a walk. While some dogs are going to object to the process of dyeing the hair (read: bath), once it is done and they are dry they aren't going to obsess over it. It doesn't affect the dog's mobility like some clothes do, or even make them feel weird because they were shaved (which can actually cause cuts, ingrown hair, etc if done wrong). Will some people think a dyed dog looks stupid? Sure. Just like some people don't like tattoos or piercing. You shouldn't give a rat's behind about what other people think you should or shouldn't do with it when it comes to something as trivial as dyeing your own darn dog. There are a lot worse things you could could be doing to your dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 8:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Tips? Best Lead For A Pulling Dog?

Bambi

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 3:08pm PST 
This sounds weird, but for Bambi I attach the leash to the front of the harness, not the back ring. Not sure what the type of harness he has is called, but it goes over their head and the left foot steps in and it buckles at the top to the right side of the dog. No pressure on the neck, but if he runs ahead I just turn to the side and he has to turn. The harness was like $3 at the store too. Got it at Goodwill (new though).

Not sure if the link will work, but here is what it looks like. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11188795
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tilly, Oct 6 1:24 pm

Small Dogs > Sweaters/Clothing for Small Dogs

Bambi

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:25am PST 
Thanks everyone! I got him a XXS t-shirt for around the house and get this, I still had to take it in on the sides so it wouldn't fall off of him! lol. I have found with him that a tag in the clothes is very annoying for him, and manufacturers of dog clothes seem to not care and make them terribly difficult to remove. naughty Thankfully I have mad sewing skills. That, and he fits rather well into men's socks with a few holes cut out for the legs and whatnot.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Sandy, Mar 26 3:07 pm

Puppy Place > Chihuahua Backyard Breeder

Bambi

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 2:42pm PST 
Ew. A backyard breeder is one that breeds for any reason other than for the betterment of the breed. Money, miracle of life, accident, etc. Bambi originally came from one, though he was not purchased due to the relationship his former owner had with the breeder. Daisy came from someone who was once a decent breeder, and I knew the lines backwards and forwards. Unfortunately that person chose to put money making over betterment of the breed.

As for this person, they can hardly put together a legible sentence and has puppies from like 3 litters for sale. No pictures of the parents. It is because of people like him/her that the shelters are filling up with Chihuahuas. As someone who has lived with the breed for 22 years, I think Chihuahuas are wonderful, misunderstood and misrepresented dogs. People come to my house and wonder why my dogs aren't yappy and actually act like "mini dogs". Maybe it is because I treat them like dogs instead of toys or fashion accessories! Even if my dogs do sometimes travel by purse... red face
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 12 2:42 pm

Raw Food Diet > Switching Puppy to Raw Dilemma
Bambi

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 11:05pm PST 
See, something stupid like that... lol. I got some chicken kidneys tonight. I will look for another organ soon. I knew heart wasn't an organ (though I had forgotten that when I posted), but didn't realize gizzards weren't. naughty

Good suggestion on the serving portions. It is hard to get it right. I fed her too much bone at one point and made her constipated. Then I tried to soften it up by giving her some extra fish oil tablets. Needless to say, I went too far the other way.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 11:05 pm

Bambi

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 10:27am PST 
Daisy has been on raw for about 4-5 months now.

In her daily meals there is some beef and chicken meat, as well as a small bit of either chicken gizzard or heart. She gets chicken bones (either thigh, leg, or back with ribs) every 3-4 days because she is so tiny I can't figure out 10% bone for every meal. Also once a week she is given a beef short rib with a good amount of meat on it but she is so tiny she really can't eat that bone so I don't count it in her bone ratio. I am sure she gets a little, but mostly she is just getting meat.

She also gets cranberry and fish oil tablet supplements.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 11:05 pm

Bambi

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 9:29am PST 
Right now I feed Daisy raw. I get it right most of the time and she seems to do good on it. She certainly feels and acts healthier. However, I worry that I might be missing something in her diet. Something that won't kill or really harm her at 7 years old, but that would be bad for my 8 month old puppy. So should I switch him over with premade first? That is how I started Daisy. It is expensive, but peace of mind is worth more than that. If I do start him on premade, how long should he be on it before I switch him to a diet like Daisy's?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 11:05 pm

Behavior & Training > Is marking really a "learned" behavior?

Bambi

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 9:57pm PST 
I have seen several people post this, and I really do wonder where this information is coming from. My biggest reason for wondering is that Bambi, my neutered, 8 month old Chihuahua does not mark. And this dog watches and learns from other dogs like you would not believe, but he still squats to pee most of the time (unless he is cold, then he lifts a leg, but not in a "marking" way). He watched the other dogs and learned how to bark, how to use the dog door, how to go potty outside, but he still doesn't mark, and my family has males that mark to an extreme, both in an out of the house. Now that I am not living with them I know for sure he does not mark.

He has shown humping behavior, but then, so does my female, so I attest it to being a dominance behavior, not a mating behavior.

Another example I have is my boyfriend's family's large German Shep that again, was raised with another male that did mark, but he has never lifted a leg to do so. He wasn't neutered until about a year and a half old.

I completely understand that two dogs is not an adequate sample size, and that Bambi could just be an anomaly, but this does have my curiosity and would love to see the scientific data for this. As in peer reviewed papers if possible, or at least from a reputable source.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Gunner, Sep 9 4:56 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Is my dog a rescue?
Bambi

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 12:25am PST 
I got (no money exchanged) Bambi from a friend of my sister's. He had never been vaccinated (at 4 months), was kept in a crate or outside on a small balcony for 22-24 hours a day with very little human contact, and was fed limited amounts of food "to prevent him from getting fat". He was not starving, but absolutely underweight and probably malnourished. On the other hand, I know this lady did not mean him harm, and really doesn't feel like how she treated him was wrong even if she did feel she was in over her head trying to raise a puppy. I know we all have our own way of doing things, but what is the definition of a rescue? Does the dog have to come from the streets or a shelter?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 30 10:27 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.