Postings by Heidi

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Small Dogs > Puppy eating poo?
Heidi

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 8:48pm PST 
Thank you both so much for the responses!

I have been trying to get her used to the leash. As of now she has not pooped while wearing her harness, only peed on rare occasions. Much of our leash time is spent with her running in circles holding part of the leash, so it'll take some practice before she can poop while on the leash. That would help a lot with me getting to her before she can eat the poop!

Right now she's eating Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Puppy food. Crushed pineapple has been the most common suggestion I have heard to put on her food to make her dislike the taste of her poo! I'll try it since it has worked for so many people.

Giving her treats is a good idea, too. That way she'll be more eager to run to me, instead of away for me, for something that hopefully tastes better than poop!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rascal, Jun 4 8:16 pm

Small Dogs > Puppy eating poo?
Heidi

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:46am PST 
My 11 week old pom puppy has an affinity for poo. This is causing issues other than being simply disgusting --it's causing her not to be able to get over her hookworms! She came from the breeder with these, which I had never heard of. Turns out they thrive in sandy soil environments (she was pretty close to the beach) but do poorly in clay soil environments, which is what we have in the Piedmont in NC. None of my pets had these before. She has been dewormed for these both times she has gone in for her vaccinations.

As soon as she poops, she turns around and starts eating it. I could previously catch up in time and grab her, but now she is on to me. She runs to the back of our very long yard and starts pooping. While I am running to intercept the poo-eating, she is simultaneously pooping and spinning in circles to pick up what has dropped. If I manage to get there before the whole turd is in her mouth, she gulps it down very quickly.

I feel like this is counter-productive to potty training because I am telling her "Good girl Heidi! Good girl for pooping in the yard --HEIDI NO!"

I keep hearing to add crushed pineapple to her food. My vet's assistant suggested unflavored meat tenderizer.

Do you dogs ever eat their poo, and if so, how (if) did you break this raunchy habit?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rascal, Jun 4 8:16 pm

Small Dogs > Pomeranian Too Small To Jump On The Couch?

Heidi

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:33am PST 
I'm so glad Foxy has such a happy life now!

It's common for dogs her size not to be able to hop up onto furniture. I'd consider it a good thing --just help her get off the couch if you help her get on. smile

They do make steps that look a little decorative, so they may not look too out of place in the living room.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Suzi, Jul 28 7:19 pm

Dog Health > Green discharge in my puppy's eye?

Heidi

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:29am PST 
The vet put some stain in her eye to be sure it wasn't scratched anywhere. She is thinking it's only allergies, but told me I could use some of the Terramycin if it happened again. Thanks for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Heidi, May 31 5:29 am

Heidi

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 2:10pm PST 
Thanks much for your response Jax! The discharge hasn't appeared in a few days but the eye is still watery. The vet appointment for vaccines round two is tomorrow, so I will ask the vet about her eye.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Heidi, May 31 5:29 am

Heidi

Barked: Fri May 25, '12 8:49pm PST 
I have a pom puppy who will be 11 weeks old Sunday.

Just this morning I noticed green discharge in one of her eyes. Both eyes water some but not immensely, so I hadn't noticed anything strange before today.

I wiped it off but it's back.

I have some Terramycin (oxytetracycline hydrochloride)my vet prescribed for my cat when he had something going on with his eye.

Is this safe to use on my puppy's eye?

I'll be taking her to the vet Tuesday, so I'd like to try and wait until then. I already went to the vet earlier this week due to her dandruff, which I feared was Cheyletiella. It was just fleas and skin she had scraped off scratching, and they gave me an oatmeal shampoo and Vectra 3D. I gave her a bath with the shampoo and put the Vectra 3D on her 24 hours after her bath.

I really appreciate any answers and advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Heidi, May 31 5:29 am

Small Dogs > Does anyone have their small dog go on pee pads instead of outside?

Heidi

Barked: Fri May 25, '12 8:45am PST 
I agree with everyone else that going inside the crate isn't the best idea. The idea of the crate is to prevent her from going until you can let her out.

If you have any very small rooms in your house, such as a bathroom or large closet you could babygate, you could place the pee pads there and have her use them.

If not, go with a pen as everyone has suggested. I'd suggest looking on Amazon for the pen. I was reluctant when I saw the prices of kennels and pens in stores, but when I went to look on Amazon they were so much cheaper!
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Cosmos and Bailey, Apr 15 8:07 pm

Puppy Place > New Pom

Heidi

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 2:09pm PST 
I don't believe any temperament testing was done. As far as socialization at the breeder's is concerned, all I know is that my puppy was interacted with by humans and her mother and brother.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Heidi, May 16 2:09 pm

Puppy Place > New Pom

Heidi

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 10:44am PST 
That is likely. Her breeder has many dogs and even runs a doggy daycare, but I don't imagine she was letting new unvaccinated puppies play with those dogs. According to the breeder, she was handled by her and her husband and children. I believe this because she is extremely friendly to humans except the biting and gnawing, but usually this is friendly puppy chewing.

That is a great idea --a reward for being picked up. This would be especially handy outside when she is trying to explore and I keep having to stop her from eating things or going under things.

I'll also try ignoring her whenever she becomes too rough. She does hate to be ignored, so hopefully this will motivate her to be more gentle.

Thanks for another great answer. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Heidi, May 16 2:09 pm

Puppy Place > New puppy question
Heidi

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 8:31am PST 
While loose stools are common when a puppy first arrives at his new home, I would take him to the vet sooner than Monday just to be on the safe side, if his poops haven't become more firm by now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 16 12:03 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.