Postings by Rocky *CGC* With the angels.

GO!

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 3:33am PST 
Gosh, this is crazy... I'm not on here much anymore but I will never forget the support I received during Rocky's illness and after he went to Rainbow Bridge...

I'm a lurker more than anything these days but if another forum is set up, let me know.
[notify]
» There has since been 534 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Suspicious Breeder Has an "I am A Responsible Breeder" Article on Dogster Mag

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:03pm PST 
Sadie, I read that article shock Just awful!

I commented too... Most people have picked him up on it though, which is good.

Such a shame.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 5 4:48 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Suspicious Breeder Has an "I am A Responsible Breeder" Article on Dogster Mag

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 3:58pm PST 
I'm really enjoying keeping up with the debate that is ensuing his article puppy

And Tiller, is that the same dog trainer who wrote an article about how out of control and frenzied her dogs are?

Reading about her dogs, she wouldn't be the first trainer I'd go to (although her article did make me laugh), and reading about this so-called 'ethical' breeder, he wouldn't be the first person I'd go to for a pup... I spot a trend!
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 5 4:48 pm

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 9:39am PST 
So, so sad...

Some people are just delusional...

The breeder I got Skip from breeds dogs for pet homes mainly. However, both parents were extensively health tested, were shown regularly and even worked... Skip's five generation pedigree shows thirty champions and his parents are from some of the best lines in Europe... I'm picky! Very picky and hound breeders... I want to know everything and I want proof, otherwise I could just adopt a dog from a shelter.

Thanks Tiller, for bringing this breeder down a peg... He needed it. Breeding for the love of the dogs is NOT good enough nor does it make you purely 'ethical'...

Some people think they can just buy a good looking dog, buy a few more and become a breeder. THAT makes me so angry!
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 5 4:48 pm

Behavior & Training > Help! New Mama of a Black Mouth Cur Mix and cats!

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 4:03pm PST 
I've seen Black Mouth Curs in action and have to say, they are some of the most ferocious hunters I've ever seen...
I left the event after about five minutes. It was too horrific for me. Too similar to dog fighting -two dogs in a pen with a hog, owners spurring the dogs on to attack the hog, the hog's tusks had been filed down so the poor thing couldn't protect itself and had nowhere to run... I didn't stay long enough but I know that hog died slowly, painfully and terrified...

That's the only experience I have with the breed. But I have to say, truly magnificent dogs. I would guess that if Henry wanted to get to the cats, he wouldn't be so mellow about it... They seemed to me like full-on hunters who wouldn't let a glass door get in the way of the hunt. I think, being a mix, you may be lucky puppy

I'm with everyone else though. Don't take any chances and always err on the side of caution.

Treat him the exact same way you would treat him if you had no idea what he was like around cats. Don't leave them alone in the same part of the house and make sure, if needs be, your cats can get away from him.

Good luck!

He's beautiful puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tia, May 22 7:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Update on Bauer and the Unhelpful Instructor

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 3:38pm PST 
That's great news dancing

I'm so glad the assistant trainer helped you out... She seems to have her 'doggy head' screwed on!

Good luck, I hope it goes well and make sure you let us know how your class goes with the other trainer big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, May 20 5:17 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > officer kills 4 month old pit bull

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 2:03pm PST 
Eight times!!!

Seriously?!

That's horrible confused

Skipper is four months old and I think he would run up to a kid on a bike... He's so friendly. He wouldn't do it aggressively, more in a puppy 'hiya' way... I would be distraught if someone shot him for doing that! Never mind shooting him eight times!!!

So, so sad... I don't care if he's a cop... If the puppy truly did nothing wrong, then he should be charged.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Vader, Jul 5 4:37 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Twister is missing. :(

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 4:30am PST 
I'm so sorry hug

I too can only imagine what you're going through... It must be terrible.

If he makes it to the UK, I'll be on the look out puppy

Good luck and keep us posted x
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Twister, May 29 11:47 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Are German Doberman Pinschers healthy than American Dobies?

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 2:34am PST 
I don't know much about the American lines as I'm British but over here, in the UK, most breeders import German Dobes... I've also lived in Germany and their Dobes are amazing!

They are a lot more intense and sharp than the dogs you see as pets in the UK, but very trainable and still have the soft side puppy The German's are so strict about dogs and breeding that when a puppy is bought from a breeder, you are guaranteed a very good dog. They are very expensive but we all know, that is mainly a good thing puppy

My neighbour has two imported German Dobes (fairly common over here) and one is 13 years old. The other is two years old and cost her £2500. A lot of German breeders sell puppies at one year old and start foundation protection training with them... That means you have a perfect family pet bred for both conformation and working and foundation trained in protection. They also come with the option of cropped ears or not (cropping and docking is illegal in the UK but you can import cropped and docked dogs).

They really are amazing but as I said, over here, German lines are the norm, even breeders over here have mainly German dogs in their lines. When I lived in Germany, obviously they were all German lines.

As a therapy dog I think a German line dog would thrive... They still love their cuddles, are fearless yet gentle (unless trained in protection) and live to work. I would look for a purely conformation breeder in Germany, as most breeders breed working lines and a pup from those lines could be a bit too intense for therapy work... They can be a bit aloof, completely Velcro to their humans but in the line of therapy, the aloofness might hinder the work... It all depends if that is a problem for you, I guess.

Health wise, the Germans are so strict. I think the main reason is purely aesthetic but really, it helps the breed. German breeders are so proud and they do not want to be seen with a crippled dog, or someone else with a health riddled dog with their name attached. So I guess, that's a good thing.

They also work hard to breed Dobes that are so true to their history. The dogs of today should look no different to the Dobes 100 years or so ago... Which again, is a good thing puppy

Sorry I can't help you with the American bred side of things but I have experience with German Dobes both in Germany and in the UK puppy I hope I helped a little puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie Chaplin, May 20 12:15 pm

Behavior & Training > List of influential trainers and books/essays on their methodologies

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 1:43pm PST 
I remember the previous post but think it was ages ago.

These are some I found very very helpful :

The Dogs Mind by Bruce Fogle
Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff
Dog Behaviour, Evolution and Cognition by Ádám Miklósi
Think Dog by John Fisher
Behaviour Adjustment Training : BAT by Grisha Stewart

The Handbooks of Applied Dog Behaviour and Training (Volumes 1-4)... Very expensive and scientific but they are mainly used for university study... I found them oober helpful puppy Very much worth the money puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Hazel, May 19 4:12 pm

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.