Postings by Baby

GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Choosing the Right Dog > Is there a breed like the Pomeranian but larger?
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sun Feb 9, '14 12:14am PST 
Maybe this thread will help:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread /712455
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Feb 20 2:43 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Does domestic help services have problems if there are pets in home
Baby

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 2:34am PST 
We're in different parts of the world, but here in the U.S. Molly Maids (being a chain cleaning service) is very used to cleaning up after pets. It should not be a problem. If you are worried just call them up and ask.

But really, they were a life saver when *I* (wink wink) cleaned the entire house for my mother's birthday and got rid of all the australian shepherd fur that was floating around and embedded in the rugs.

And of course be sure to keep your pets contained somewhere so they aren't a bother to the maids.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 23 5:02 pm

Sports & Agility > Passed ORT Birch with flying colors (nosework 'odor recognition test)

Baby

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 3:12pm PST 
I can't believe I didn't post our win here yet! Baby and I passed our Birch ORT with the fastest score out of 40 dogs!

We got it in 6.63 seconds, I will always remember where the box was for the rest of my life, lol, fourth box on the right!

Off to trials we go!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Nov 26 4:24 am

Food & Nutrition > Switching food & would appreciate opinions

Baby

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 1:10am PST 
i really like Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet

My boy Baby is allergic to virtually everything, including egg, which is in basically every food (including LIDs). He does very well on Nature's Variety. They have quite a few flavors too. I suggest you go to their site and look at the ingredients.

You can order it from chewy.com if you can't find a store in the general vicinity. I find chewy to be far cheaper than the prices at my local stores!

Unfortunately I have no experience with wellness.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Dec 1 6:46 pm

Behavior & Training > What "type" does your dog need to be for schutzhund?

Baby

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 1:19pm PST 
Thanks Mulder, I do appreciate it. I think maybe trying with a private instructor would be a good idea -- never really thought of that.

Do you know how to find any private trainers for it? I'm doing google searches but nothing's coming up except for one and I'm not thrilled about her.

I'm in Chicago if you happen to know of any.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nare, Nov 27 1:07 pm

Baby

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 2:30pm PST 
I'm sorry, but I still just don't understand so much why everyone is so narrow in the sport on the whole "don't bring in just any dog with the right temperament". Let's say Schutzhund (hypothetically) ends up being a sport I adore and want to get serious with. I have to take part in it with one of my own dogs to figure that out. I'm not gonna drop 2k-5k on a champion dog just to find out I don't like the sport. How do people like me decide it's for them if clubs won't take them?

I'm feeling dismayed over the subject though, the posts alone on this thread have seemed... intense and... in a sense negative, maybe even a little cold (not directing this at anyone in particular). If that's the general tone coming from a dogster board I can't imagine it's any better in real life. I guess my nostalgia over the sport was just that, nostalgia.

Regardless of whether Baby would do well or not, I think *I* would not do well, I suppose I'm too soft.

Stress agility looks interesting, thanks for sharing the video -- I hadn't heard of it before.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nare, Nov 27 1:07 pm

Baby

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 11:14am PST 
I'm not so silly as to bring a dog with SD or TD aspirations into schutzhund, don't worry.

We already *do* do nosework and agility, we can't find any flyball classes, and Baby wouldn't like flyball anyway.

I have zero issues with prongs and choke collars, I am well aware they are used as are e-collars and the "friend" I grew up around that took us to the schutzhund trials did positive punishment -- I'm not *that* stupid towards the sport. I would not use those techniques on my own dog and there are more progressive clubs, however the only one I have found so far is limited to GSDs.

I think the main point I'm getting from all of you is 90% of schutzhund people are jerks/mean/tough/full of themselves/not enjoyable to be around or whatever and I wouldn't enjoy myself nor would Baby. That's why I would do it, because me and Baby could do something intense and love it together, we're looking for intense. We aren't looking for flyball -- which I know some will argue is intense too but we aren't looking for that type.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Nare, Nov 27 1:07 pm

Baby

Barked: Tue Oct 29, '13 8:18pm PST 
What "type" like personality type does your dog need for schutzhund. I think Baby and me could have a lot of fun with it. I vaguely remember the trials I would go to growing up (we had GSDs and a friend that was in the world of it) but not a whole lot has stuck.

Just wondering if my guy would be right for it. I've seen labs and goldens on youtube doing it, so I'm guessing breed doesn't necessarily always play a role?

Suggestions/advice please? =)

And can I have some good "dummy" resources for learning more about it? Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Nare, Nov 27 1:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Can we talk seriously about genetics and behavior?

Baby

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 10:41am PST 
I'm going to reply when my computer is fixed. Long posts on phones is tough!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Baby, Aug 7 10:41 am

Behavior & Training > Can we talk seriously about genetics and behavior?
Baby

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 12:08am PST 
I am hoping to keep this civil, I think my post may get some people riled up but I want to see everyone's point of view. I know a lot of people know more than I do on dog stuff so I just figured we could toss the ball around.

I knew several people that think every dog can be 'fixed' unless it has an underlying, unfix-able health problem causing the aggression (like a brain tumor).

I'm also getting a little sick of the people saying there are no bad dogs, just bad owners -- as if every dog that has serious issues and maul something or whatever are owned by irresponsible under trained people.

I don't think all dogs are fixable. I think all dogs can be manageable with diligence and supervision and I certainly don't think it's always the owner's fault.

I feel like a lot of people fail to take into account genetics. We are starting to see more and more even in humans that nature is very dominant in what a person's underlying personality is. The same is with other animals of course.

There's some science experiment going on with beagles right now (which I'm totally against because I feel like the results are obvious and there's no point in pursuing the torture of the dogs). Basically they are breeding just for personality sake. They're trying to breed for a dog that will literally let you do anything you want to it without reacting aggressively.

I just don't know why so many people fail to see that genetics are a biiiig deal in being able to 'fix' a dog. Chances are if you have a dog that's been bred to kill things and attack people for like... 10 generations it's not going to be solve-able... and frankly I think all this "there's only bad owners and no breed of dog is ever prone to any sort of aggression if you raise it right" nonsense is really screwing a lot of people over.

I see it causing more problems than anything else.

Here's where people may get a little angry with me.

Pitbulls for instance (hear me out) are being trademarked as the nanny dog, the good with everyone, every thing, perfect house companions, perfect for everyone type of dog. They aren't! Nor is any dog really one size fits all but especially with dogs that, realistically, are prone to dog aggression and same sex aggression. It's just digging a hole for the breed if you ask me. I grew up with german shepherds for instance. And after working at petsmart I saw so many people walking in with shepherd puppies that should not be owning shepherds... because they heard some shelter person raving about how perfect they are for every househould...

After writing this all though, I at the same time get confused cause then I think about all the rehabilitated michael vick dogs... ya know?

What are your all thoughts on it? Do you think all dogs are fixable? Do you think certain dogs just have too strong of a certain genetic conformity to get past that trait?
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Baby, Aug 7 10:41 am

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.