Postings by Tuna

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Behavior & Training > Separation/ neurotic behaviors please help
Tuna

"Small fish with- tons of fight"

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 5:30pm PST 
I love the idea about switching up our routine, because once she sees me going for my shoes she gets excited. We take her paddle boarding with and I think she knows that routine, and gets upset if she thinks we are going without her, so that's a great tip. Thank you. Also we do crate her if we are going to gone under 6 hours but her crate is always available for her to go in and she likes her crate. She has tons of kong toys that I fill before I leave, it just started recently, even if we are home but in the garage she will cry. But love the routine tip, thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by River, Oct 21 4:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation/ neurotic behaviors please help
Tuna

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 8:03pm PST 
Hello,
A little background our dog Tuna is a JRT mix rescue, that is approximately 2 years old. We have spent a fortune(seriously) on training since this is my first dog and I really wanted to do it right. She can do tons of tricks and is typically a good dog

The problem:
She is very high energy and I try my best to exercise her as much as possible, but life must continue beyond exercising the dog. I am in Graduate school and doing a demanding internship.
According to my boyfriend when I am not here or she left alone she screams( and I mean this literally, it is the most high pitch ,ear piercing sound) apparently this has slowly been getting worse, I don't see it as much because we are always together when I am home, however if I am getting ready in the morning and not paying attention to her she cries.
The past few days it she become unmanageable , she has always been a bit stubborn but lately it's like she doesn't even acknowledge we are calling here until we are about to blow!
My boyfriend has had enough and is honestly feeling we should maybe give her to someone, it's not happening and I think he is just frustrated but you can see the point we are at. I even ended up smacking her butt today( which I never do and don't really believe in, but it seems she only understands when we are at that point)

Please any suggestions I do not want to foster her separation anxiety but don't know what I am doing to make it happen. Please any help is appreciated! Thank you so much.
Tunas Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by River, Oct 21 4:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Mastiff question

Tuna

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:47am PST 
Oh a little more information. We currently live in a decent sized three bedroom town home but plan to move to a house with a big yard within six months. Also Tuna goes to the dog park about four times a week, and the dog beach once or twice a week. We have a dog walker for days when I am in school or she goes to the clinic with my fiancé. We also love paddle boarding with tuna, although I don't see a 150 pound mastiff being very stable, smile exercising the dog is no problem.smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Feb 14 4:13 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Mastiff question

Tuna

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:31am PST 
Currently we have a wonderful dog named Tuna. We got her one year ago this very month. She is a JRT mix and my first dog. Her constant go go energy made us think she might enjoy a friend to chase, and play with and I am sure our seven year old cat would love a break. Last night a eleventh month old mastiff came into the veterinary clinic my fiancé works at and due to financial reasons the owner relinquished custody of the dog to the clinic. This dog is so sweet and handsome, but is adding a dog like this to our family crazy? Could Tuna and this mastiff safely be friends , and how do they act with cats? Truthful advice, this dog is handsome and will have no problems getting adopted so I just want what is best for all the animals.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Feb 14 4:13 pm

Behavior & Training > New aggressive behaviors

Tuna

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 3:46pm PST 
Thank you so much for the advicesmile I try to continue to take her to dog parks, but the ones here are never busy. I have gone multiple times all different times of the day and no one is ever there, the town we moved to is small and most people have big yards, I also have been trying to find some in neighboring cities but with little success.

We do have a dog friendly beach we go to at least a couple times a week, but the dogs are spread out and interaction is often not consistent. She goes to daycare occasionally, but that is a great tip, we should really increase thatsmile

she really is never a dominant dog, that is what is so weird, she is submissive to everything and actually usually quite fearful. It has only been recently, within the last month, that i have seen ANY aggressive behaviors at all. Like I said she is always the most submissive dog, but the other day she was really barking at the much larger dog trying to take 'her' dead fish.

Like also mentioned we just moved into a new town and I don't know many dog owners in the area, although I am trying to make some new connections for her to more consistent play time with. She does go the veterinary clinic my boyfriend works at and gets along fine there, with any dog that is there. It mainly seems to be at home or that one time with the dog on the beach.

We have spent a small fortune on her training, and she is really smart , but is so stubborn. (Mind you this is my first dog, so I was not the best trainer, both my boyfriend and myself lacked the consistency she needs, but we are reworking it now) When we moved we went a little lax on the training but recently we have restarted with all of her training again. However like you said can i command her to get off the couch, not really, I feel the only time she really listens to me is if I seem angry with her. She listens to my boyfriend much better, he has a much more dominant personality then I do. But even with him she can seem stubborn. But there has never been a problem with me taking her food away, and she has to sit to get the food in the morning.

Is it safe to bring other dogs in the house with her being so aggressive, if so how do I introduce them? Also you said don't allow the aggressive behaviors to continue but I didn't know how to tell her to stop( I crated her but what else can i do)

Thank you again
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Miyu CGC, Nov 18 9:13 pm

Behavior & Training > New aggressive behaviors
Tuna

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:45pm PST 
So for the 6 or7 months we have had Tuna, our JRT mix who is about 1 yr old, I have never seen a single aggressive act. She is always super submissive and friendly. Well, until recently. We moved to a smaller town with a lot less dog parks, or at least less dogs in them. Before we moved she would go multiple times a week to a local dog park that was always busy and play, but now the opportunity just doesn't exist. So I recently brought a dog home from the vet clinic my bf works at, I thought Tuna would enjoy the friend and this poor dog was abandoned over a month ago, so I thought she deserved a little time at a real home. Well, Tuna was very upset with her presence, growling, and even snapping at this other puppy. At first I thought it was just food related, which isn't ok but is understandable. But Tuna seemed to snap over any space invasion. I had to keep her in her crate the whole time the other dog was here. And today we went to the beach where dogs are allowed,we go pretty much every week, and she found a delightfully dead fishlaugh out loud when another dog tried to smell the fish she snapped, never actually biting, but she continued to growl and bark at the other dog.. I want to be able to have Tuna with other dogs without fearing she might attack, plus we have a cat and I dont want them fighting over food. What can I do? I thought socializing her would help, but now what can I do?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Miyu CGC, Nov 18 9:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Pee EVERYWHERE!

Tuna

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:27pm PST 
I have heard neutering can be very helpful in potty training, but like you said age is a factor. Unfortunatly I am far from an expert on this topic and am desperately trying to potty train our 1 yr old JRT mix, with a little but not great success. The tethering thing has worked well for us but I can imagine with a baby on the way this may be impossible.. Best of luck, if you find the secret, please pass it alongsmile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Coco, Dec 1 9:53 am

Small Dogs > The dog won't shut up

Tuna

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:19pm PST 
I totally get it, and appreciate your candor about sometimes wanting to just get so angry at the dog. As another commented Your breed is typically a barker, but that doesn't mean you have to live with it, I also live in close quarters and know my neighbors were not happy when Tuna was barking like she was. Something my trainer recommended was crating her when she started, just to let her know she was 'off guard duty' and letting her out a little while after she settles down. We also found the thunder shirt to be really effective! We used it for a couple weeks and now don't even have to use it anymore. Best of luck to you hug
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Tuna, Nov 17 9:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need food suggestions PLEASE!!!

Tuna

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:11pm PST 
Truthfully there are so many new fad diets out there it's hard to know which to trust for your dog, best bet is to call your vet tell them the situation and they should have some good tips on which foods to buy. You can even ask the ban field people in Petsmart( ask the ban field techs or dr NOT the store employees!!smile when in doubt though i always go Hills. By suggestion of every vet I know. Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Popple, Nov 19 9:20 am

Dog Health > Sore near eye where tear staining occurs????
Tuna

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:02pm PST 
Although antibiotic creams can be useful often times they saturate the wound and delay healing, also if ingested can be harmful and cause stomach issues. When I worked as a groomer it was not uncommon to see these sorts of wounds. Best bet keep it clean, dry, and watch carefully. As written if it doesn't look better call your vet, you don't want it to be something more serious like a tooth root abscess and progress. Best of luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 11:54 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.