Postings by Millie

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rehoming: How to do it right & make it through the process??

Millie

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:46am PST 
Update - Contacted Barbara and she said that they will be able to help. I am going to try to contact the owner again just because the rescue said it would be best to have any info regarding where he got her and possible AKC papers. Then they're going to help us find someone in MT who can help us out. I had a coworker mention that his girlfriend has always wanted a bullmastiff, but I really just have a bad feeling about that so I told him that we're going through the rescue process - Thanks so much again for the tip, I feel so much better about doing it this way than trying to do it myself.

Ember - I have been thinking about that ever since I read the Dogster article about the family trying to rehome the pitbull in Washington. Hopefully I can just get in touch with the owner and get him to sign off on something. He's supposably moving to New Orleans next Friday though so I'm not sure I will be able to. I'll do some research this weekend though on MT laws just to make sure I'm in the clear. I really can't imagine the owner doing something like that but I never thought he would leave his dog with us like you said as well so who knows.

So it looks like Grendel will at least be with us until Christmas, which I'm kind of glad about. I think that anyone would grow to love a dog that has been in their home for 6+ months no matter what the circumstance so I'm glad that we don't have to upheave her from another home around Christmas (even though she doesn't really know hah, but I think she does deep down).
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Twister, Dec 15 7:34 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rehoming: How to do it right & make it through the process??
Millie

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 6:16pm PST 
Thank you for the advise Tiller! I am contacting Barbara tonight, I agree with you that I would rather have someone who has had success homing large breed dogs help me rather than doing it myself. I honestly am not sure Grendel is purebred but she is very close if not full bull mastiff. I've met a couple other brindle mastiffs that look so much like her that are for sure full bred.

Twister - I am still hoping that Grendel's owner will give us some kind of definitive answer. The last we spoke with him we told him that he really needs to think about what's best for her (he's planning on moving to New Orleans this month and supposably wants to take her with him) and he hasn't gotten back to us. I'm not sure he has a job lined up down there or housing or anything though and I feel as though even though he is technically her "owner" if we gave her back with such uncertainty it would be like rehoming her somewhere that doesn't work for her. She hates it when it's hot in Montana, I can't imagine her liking New Orleans. But if he wants her back, I am totally willing to make that happen as she does belong to him.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the contact info for Barbara, I'll keep you updated.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Twister, Dec 15 7:34 pm

Millie

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:01pm PST 
Hello Dogster,

I need some tips for rehoming a dog. My Story: One of our friends asked us to dogsit his Bull Mastiff while he was looking for a new place to live (had to move out of a bad situation and stay with his GF who couldn't have dogs), we agreed to keep his dog for a couple weeks because we are allowed to have dogs at our place and Millie (our dog) and Grendel (friend's dog) got along well. He made many promises of coming to walk/visit the dog as well as clean up and reimburse us for food, etc. That was in May; since then he has been to our house twice and given us $50 for food. In September, we started calling him to make sure everything was okay and to stress that he really needed to keep up his end of the bargain. We got no response whatsoever. Obviously, I began to be concerned that he was pretty much abandoning his dog with us. We did speak to him about 3 weeks ago and he is now planning to move to New Orleans and hopes to take his dog with him. We told him that he needs to think about whether his 150lb dog who gets hot in Montana would enjoy New Orleans and if he can really take care of his dog. He said he would call back, still has not done so.

I have given up on Grendel's owner because I think he is going through some personal problems and will not ever come back for his dog friend. So we were hoping that a friend's father would adopt her, and unfortunately that has fallen through as well; We've decided to rehome her.

This decision was not made lightly. I really love Grendel and perhaps in other circumstances we would be able to keep her. As it is, I feel as though she is not getting the love she deserves from us; partly because of the fact that she was never supposed to be our dog and partly because we have a new puppy (just over a year old) whom I love with all my heart. I feel as though Grendel is experiencing a "lesser-loved-child" experience at our home. We buy Millie more toys and she sleeps in our bed and she gets more attention than Grendel. It makes me so sad to see myself doing this, but I keep doing it. I want Grendel to have a home where people love her as much as I love Millie and somewhere where she can have her own bed (rather than our couch) and toys and not be the second child forever. I know that some will disagree with the idea of rehoming her, many of my friends have asked me why we don't just keep her. It's mainly for the reasons above but also because we can't afford to feed two dogs at once and we have to move in the spring and I don't think we will be able to with a hyperactive puppy and a Bull Mastiff.

So, please give me your tips for rehoming. I'm thinking of a charging a rehoming fee and donating most of it to the local humane society, is this a good idea?? Also, where are good places to advertise a older, large dog? I also really want to visit people's homes who want to adopt Grendel, is this normal practice and is there anything I should look out for? Any other tips would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your help and (hopefully) understanding about the situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Twister, Dec 15 7:34 pm

Dog Health > Lots of snot

Millie

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 1:53pm PST 
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone and for the great reading material Bunny! I'm going to take Millie in to the vet later today to see what they say and hopefully we can get this figured out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Apr 10 4:24 am

Dog Health > Lots of snot

Millie

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 9:29am PST 
Hi Everyone!

My 5 1/2 month old puppy recently got over a little upper respiratory infection/minor case of kennel cough where her symptoms were being lethargic all day for one day, puking up yellow/white foamy mucous, a little bit of mucous in stools and some unproductive coughing. I took her to the vet early on and she took antibiotics for it and it seemed to be all cleared up and she was fine.
But now for the last couple days she has had so much mucous coming out of her nose! To the point where it's drying around the edges and you can see the green stuff in there and it's pretty runny too. She's always kind of had some mucous and snores a lot, when she got her last round of puppy shots I asked the vet about it and he said it was normal for puppies, but now it's increased a lot.
She "roots" a lot with her nose and frequently gets dirt up her nose, could this or allergies be the cause of her mucous or should I take her back to the vet? She's acting normally, eating, sleeping, drinking and playing normally and her stools are normal as well. This is my first puppy so I'm trying to find a balance between crazy dog mom who wants to take her in for every little thing and knowing when to actually be concerned.
Thanks for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Apr 10 4:24 am

Puppy Place > Curbing Play Barking
Millie

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 6:45pm PST 
My puppy is four months old and we just had another dog move into our house with a new roommate. Millie and the other dog had met before and played together and get along, which really isn't the problem. The problem is that Millie won't stop barking at Sugar to get Sugar to play with her! Sugar is an active older dog so they do play sometimes, but when Sugar doesn't want to, Millie just barks at her. I take Millie to puppy socialization at the local dog training center and she doesn't really bark when she plays with puppies but when another dog won't play with her, she can't stop! Is this just a puppy thing or how do I get Millie to stop barking? I've never had a barking dog before so this is a first for me.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Millie, Feb 28 6:45 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help me guess the breed of my dog!

Millie

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 6:03pm PST 
I uploaded a new photo, hope that helps! Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Millie, Feb 15 6:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help me guess the breed of my dog!

Millie

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 5:42pm PST 
Hi!

My puppy Millie will be 4 months old on the 25th and I'm really curious to hear what breed you guys think she might be. Her mom was a springer spaniel, but no idea where the rest of her came from. She didn't look like any of the other puppies in her litter so they think she had a different dad. They think at the humane society where we got her that her siblings were part shepard, but she almost looks part Chow to me. I've also been told that she looks like a Duck Tolling Retriever because she has white toes and the tip of her tail is white. Any guesses???

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Millie, Feb 15 6:03 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.