GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Puppy Place > My 4-week old husky pups smell & feel disgusting. Bathing suggestions?
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 3:30pm PST 
Thanks for all the replies! I picked up tearless puppy shampoo from petco on the way home from work that day and washed them all. It seemed to be okay with them & they didn't mind the water.

They get dirty again quickly because they end up running & rolling into the potty area tackling each other. They play tug-of-war with the towels/paper that they pee&poo on even though I give them toys. Some even walk right onto their pee and lay down. I thought puppies didn't like soiling their sleep area? I would clean it up right away but there's times where I'm gone for 5+ hours at work and no one is home. Its only my mother and I living there and she's not there much except weekends.

I read that someone suggested putting bedding down for them, but I believe they would try chewing and swallowing it. They do that with everything else they can get their paws onto. It seems like every option they find a way to make it not work! lol But I do appreciate the help and I'll keep all your suggestions in mind smile Hopefully something will work.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mayhem, Jan 24 7:31 pm

Puppy Place > My 4-week old husky pups smell & feel disgusting. Bathing suggestions?
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:19am PST 
I've googled the topic and found mixed answers. Some say its too young to bathe them, some say go ahead with diluted puppy soap and warm water. Their mother (Jenna) doesn't clean them anymore. She only did for the first couple weeks. The pups end up rolling around in their pee and poo when I'm sleeping or at work. The smell is getting so bad I can barely stay in the room, and their fur feels so gritty & dirty. I can't put puppy pads in their area to soak it up anymore because they rip them to shreds. So my main question is...is it safe to bathe them? Because its likely what I'm going to do. They are getting too gross to touch, the smell is ALL over their bodies.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Mayhem, Jan 24 7:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Confessions of a bad owner...

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 7:33am PST 
For the first 1 1/2 years of my pups lives, they weren't licensed with the town.

I did quite a few no-call-no-shows at the vet.

I use both positive and physical reinforcement. (treats and hugs for being good, smack on the butt and restraining by muzzle & scruff for being bold)

They don't have a 24/7 constant supply of water, like many sources say there should be, because they would over-drink and potty inside.

I crate them at night and while I'm gone.

I don't always clean up after them on walks/runs. Especially when it's a bike-ride.

Sometimes when money is low, a meal is skipped here and there, and they get people food leftovers instead.

I barely ever brush my huskies.

I growl, yell, and stomp my foot when needed.

ummm...there's probably more but I'll leave it at that. I don't feel so terrible cause a list of the good thing's I do would outweigh the bad party
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Aug 22 7:02 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > why don't people pick up their dogs poop!!

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:47pm PST 
Normally I would pick up after my dogs, but today Luna had completely liquid droppings and she went in the middle of the road. I made sure she went poo right before leaving home for our bikeride, but I guess she must have had an upset tummy and had to go again. At times like those I couldn't pick it up even if I tried. Cause a plastic bag won't work on "liquid". I'm sure neighbors got angry about it but what am I to do. I'm not gonna ride all the way back home, then all the way back to where she crapped, to wash pavement. BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Today 1:16 pm

Dogs & Travel > Summer Travel Plans With Your Dog(s)?

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 1:13pm PST 
This summer I'm taking Luna hiking in the Adirondack Mountains. It will be a long hike. Not sure which mountain or which route we will be taking. It's going to be a true nature hike, hopefully off trail! We'll have our water, food, tent, and anything else needed in case we lose our way. It will be a test of our survival skills, and a nice getaway with awesome scenery. We'll be sure to share pictures of us on top of New York state smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ava, Jun 7 8:45 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Whats a good type of blanket for dogs who rip things up?
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 3:30pm PST 
The only accidents they have are if they get an upset stomach & loose stool, or if they drink too much. Which is rarely. They've been great recently with that. It's more of the chewing that I'm worried about. It probably is a behavioral issue (which would be better off in the behavior section of the forums) but I just wanted opinions on the material options. (Miss Balto is the only one who I'm concerned about swallowing dangergous things whole, the rest just nibble on the corners of the blankets and such.)

Another thing I'm realizing about straw suggestion, is that my mom would have a fit if there was straw pieces all over the house. They would end up dragging pieces everywhere. Its not something I want to be cleaning up all the time. If it were an outdoor kennel I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. I just gotta find something durable enough so that if they got extremely bored and chewed on it, a bunch of pieces wouldn't be falling off easily and getting eaten. Something that they would have to really realllly work at to get pulled apart.

Bella: Sounds very similar to our pup's behavior. I've come to that conclusion as well. Leaving the crates empty prevents the chewing. But I will try putting in a thinner fleece sometime & see what they make of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Foxxy, Jul 25 12:32 am

Dogs and a Clean Home > Whats a good type of blanket for dogs who rip things up?

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 5:22am PST 
Hmmm I think they would chew and/or swallow straw as well. Not sure about carpet remnants. If its something that would be "stringy" when pulled apart then it wouldn't be good. But if not then I'll give it a go. It's so difficult to find something they won't hurt themselves by eating. A bone or toy only keeps them occupied for so long, and they get bored quickly.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Foxxy, Jul 25 12:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > just an observation: I'll take my herder over a northern breed any day

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 5:11am PST 
I'm stubborn and so are my huskies, so it's a good fit. They keep me on my toes & force me to be responsible. In my opinion the only thing that can make owning a husky difficult, is if you own multiple (especially if you have trouble playing the dominant role). When in a pack they like to not listen. Individual recall is more difficult, but when I call to my pack as a whole, they always come when called. Even when all of them got out of the yard and started running through the neighborhood, they came back when I said "everybody come". I guess it all depends on the person. I bond with my pack on a daily basis and they look up to me for many things. Their bond with each other and myself is strong. Considering I only used basic training skills & never brought them to any training classes, they listen well. Anyways... the point I was getting at is: owning a dog like a husky makes you not be able to be lazy & unaware. That's something I would do if I didn't have my huskies. I'm glad they keep my mind & body going.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Milton, May 15 5:50 pm

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 3:54pm PST 
I keep my 4 huskies in their own separate kennels when I'm gone, all lined up in a row in the dog room. We have never been able to keep any kind of bed or blanket in there for them, because they will rip apart anything they can get their paws onto. They occasionally try to swallow parts of blankets or clothes as well. Miss Balto will swallow a sock whole if she gets 5 seconds alone. So obviously blankets with stuffing inside it is a no-no for them. I would really love to make it more comfy for them in their kennels. But I don't want them to have material around that could be dangerous to their health if pieces are eaten. A type of more durable, and if possible, water resistant blanket, in case of accidents, would be awesome to find. Does anyone know of anything like this?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Foxxy, Jul 25 12:32 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dealing with people!!!
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 3:33pm PST 
You and your dog will keep each other happy smile Anyone who causes you pain isn't worth a second of your time. Your friend will realize how much of a jerk he is and she won't want to put up with him anymore. Just give it time, let the drama cool off, & don't let anyone bring you down!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by tiki, May 9 11:05 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.