Postings by Keeva

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Dog > Trendy Dogs of the Year 2013
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 8:45pm PST 
My little Coton is a great little dog...trendy or not! I got this breed because they are soft, cuddly, active but not overly, easy to potty train and very funny...perfect since I am retired. And NO I do not have to spend hours and hours grooming her. I take her to the groomers for a puppy cut, comb her once every other day, bathe her when needed. Trendy or not, she is one great little dog. And healthy as all get out!applause
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:46 am

Food & Nutrition > What Is Your Dog's Favorite Fruit/Vegetable?
Keeva

Barked: Fri Nov 1, '13 7:54pm PST 
My Coton loves raw green peppersbig laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Bella, Nov 20 2:10 pm

Grooming > Do groomers get a tip?

Keeva

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 7:27pm PST 
I don't really know what is proper but I tip our groomer $5.00....her grooming charge is $40.00. I have been doing this for over a year now. She seems very grateful as I don't think a lot of people tip. She is the owner but has another person working for her. I tip her too when she does the grooming. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Nov 7 11:16 pm

Small Dogs > Going camping!

Keeva

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:53pm PST 
I don't have advice but will be watching your post. Please let us know how it goes. I am dying to take my pup camping but I chicken out as I don't know how she would do sleeping in a tent, etc. So...please let us know how your trip goes and any advice you can give us from your own trip! have fun!applause
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Hazel, Aug 18 5:28 am

Behavior & Training > Adaptability in dogs

Keeva

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 8:55pm PST 
I notice when we have company staying with us or even just our grandkids spending the night that our dog is much more tired. I notice that she sleeps outside their bedroom doors, almost like she feels responsible for them and is being their watchdog. It is really funny. She doesn't get all the attention she normally gets from me but she doesn't seem to mind. She loves new things and new people and all that excitment wears her out! I don't know if this is unusual or not as she is my first puppy but it will be interesting to read other people's take on this.....
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Milo, Jul 12 4:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feel bad for kibble eaters?
Keeva

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:18pm PST 
Don't feel bad for my pupper!!! She is healthy, happy, and content eating her kibble.....and occasionally a slip of raw hamburger!applause
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jul 3 1:51 pm

Puppy Place > puppy pottty traning advice

Keeva

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 5:42pm PST 
I trained my dog to ring a bell. I am wondering if your pup is a little afraid of the stairs or if the door is too far away from where you are. I would try hanging the bell on a different door or place where it is easier for them to get to. It can still be the signal that they need to go potty. If you think the dog is scared of the bell then maybe try a smaller one that isn't so noisy? I just have a small brass bell tied to a ribbon for my dog. I would take the pup, hit her paw against the bell to ring it and then immediately take it out to potty. Lots of praise when it goes potty. Take her out every hour and do this same thing. I bet before long they will ring the bell on it's own. I would do away with the potty pads and just go for the outside method! My personal opinion...... Good luck!smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ambrosia, May 30 4:17 pm

Behavior & Training > Body Language Variation..what does it mean??

Keeva

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:03pm PST 
Oh yes...my dog does this too and when you figure it all out I want to know the answer!laugh out loud Sometimes my dog is just fine and smells the other dog, especially if the dog is the same size as her. When it comes to bigger dogs mostly she stands on her hind legs and barks insanely. I don't think it is a mean bark but it is embarrassing. Once she was smelling and sniffing another small dog and the dog growled at her and she ran behind me. I never know how she is going to react when we are on walks. If I see a dog a distance away sometimes I just turn around to avoid a scene...but it is sad to me that she reacts like this. She has been around other dogs, big and small at a doggy daycare since we got her as a small puppy. They say she does fine although I have to admit I haven't witnessed her there as the pen they have the dogs in is at the back of the facility and they bring her out when I go to pick her up. I do trust the lady though that runs it. I would love to get her to be accepting of all the other dogs we meet on walks. I have read where they talk about their threshold and how you need to find out where that is and slowly increase the distance. Well heck....the minute she sees a bigger dog she is going crazy...whether when we go around a corner or if she spots one a block away. I hope you find some answers because it sure would help me too!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by "Selli" , Apr 26 6:29 am

Behavior & Training > What do I do about growling? Help!!!!

Keeva

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 6:22pm PST 
Again, thank you for all your auggestions. She hasn't done that growl anymore when on the couch. Actually, she only gets up on the couch a couple times during the day or evening. She usually just lays on the floor. She has such good qualities. She loves people, she is very funny and makes us laugh, she is a good sleeper, doesn't require a lot of excercise, she travels well in the car and loves going for walks. The things that I am working on are:
1. Walking on leash without pulling....it is getting better since I have started "being a tree." I would like to find her a nice harness to use instead of a collar..perhaps they make a no-pull one that would help her.
2. She barks like crazy if we come across a large dog. She stands on her hind feet like she is trying to make herself bigger. She doesn't growl....just barks. I notice she doesn't do this much if the dog is the same size as her.
3. I absolutely have to leash her.....she runs off to explore if I don't and I have to go get her. She was doing well but now I don't trust her and our yard is not fenced...we live on acreage in,the country.
Really these are about my only problems I have with her. She is a fussy eater but loves earning treats. I can throw a piece of cheese on the ground and tell her to "leave it" and she will sit and stare at the cheese for the longest time until I tell her to "take it.". She is a good snuggler...does not sleep in our bed but now chooses where she wants to sleep. She is a good companion dog. We boarded her at our daycare/kennel facility which is nice for two nights and she did well although she did have some diarhhea when she came home....I think she may have some stress issues when it comes to boarding her although the lady that runs the place who I trust says she does fine. This fall we will need to board her there for 8 nights so I am praying she does well. So folks....how do you think I am doing. There are days I think I made a big mistake taking on a puppy at my age but I do love her and will care for her the best I can. I love getting your suggestions and feedback. Thanks.................
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Keeva, Apr 16 6:22 pm

Behavior & Training > What do I do about growling? Help!!!!
Keeva

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:11pm PST 
Ahhh...thank you again so much. This growling is such an infrequent thing. She does like to growl when these big dogs walk by the house every day with kids going for the school bus. She used to bark at them but we shook a can of pennies to stop the barking so now she is growling. I guess she just needs to say somethingbig laugh Husband is onboard with the positive training I am happy to report. big laugh We do not have a dog trainer around...we live in a very small town not near a bigger city. We were able to put her through puppy kindergarten through our vet and that helped show me how to train her a little. She does go a little beserk when we go into our little town and she sees a big dog....doesn't seem to do it so much with little dogs like her. Also once a month I take her to a doggy daycare. Financially that is about all I can do right now except love her and do my best. Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Keeva, Apr 16 6:22 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.