Postings by Carter

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Puppy Place > How much food to feed 3 month old lab mix
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 1:50pm PST 
She seems to be between 20 and 25 lbs. and I'm really not sure how much to feed her on average. I still haven't decided which brand of food I'm going to feed her (I just got her today and she came with some Purina food- ick) and I know it varies depending on brands, but is there a rough guideline of how many cups to feed her per day?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Jan 17 3:29 pm

Puppy Place > What to buy for 3 month old Lab mix
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 1:48pm PST 
Hey guys. I just got my 3 month old lab mix, named Haven, (not sure why it won't let me put her as the pet author) who is going to be trained to be a psychiatric service dog for me. I'm not really sure of what all to get for her (as in toys, training aids, etc.). I have experience with dogs, but none this big. She also has the typical biting problem (only with me) so any heavy duty chew toys, etc. that you can recommend would also be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Carter, Jan 17 1:48 pm

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this condition affecting my dog's back legs is called?

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 1:46pm PST 
Hey guys. So Carter saw the vet today for his annual check-up and shots. Carter is in excellent health, but the vet asked me if I had noticed Carter limping with his back legs at all, and I said no. Then he told me that Carter has a condition that effects his back legs and he either said it happened before he was born or when he was born. I know it's awful that I'm so unclear on the details, but I've had the flu for days and had no one to take him for his appointment, I had to take him or pay a cancellation fee. I was trying to focus but also trying to not be sick all over the exam room, so yeah...

The vet also said since Carter is a small dog, surgery is not necessary and would likely make him worse, since studies have shown that's what happens in dogs under 30 lbs. that have this condition. He also said it won't cause him to be any more likely to develop arthritis. When I mentioned that Carter often lays with his back legs sort of splayed out, he said that yeah, the 'frog legs' thing can be because of this condition. Sorry, I know this post is kind of rambling and a bit hard to sift through, it's just that I have this terrible brain fog from being sick! So does anyone know what this condition is? I think it started with an 'L' but that's all I remember. I could call the vet's office and ask them, but I feel kind of stupid for not remembering so I thought I'd try here! Thanks in advance for any input.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 7 5:32 am

Food & Nutrition > Walmart Launches Pure Balance Dog Food

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:29pm PST 
I feed Carter Innova, which is the most affordable, best quality food I can get to fit his needs (a lot of the other brands have chicken or chicken fat in them and he is allergic). Cost is important at this point because I'm disabled and need to cut costs where I can, but am not comfortable feeding him any of the cheap grocery store/Walmart foods because of the poor quality and amount of recalls. I looked at this Pure Balance food and yeah, the ingredients are better than I thought they would be, but the fact that it's made by Ol' Roy makes me really nervous. The fact that they've had so many recalls alone makes this food a write off for me, unfortunately, which is a shame because the price is certainly right.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Milton, Jan 21 10:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Confessions of a bad owner...

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 11:12pm PST 
- Carter has not been able to figure out how to let me know he has to go outside (he does at my parents' house though, I think this is because I live in an apartment building and he just... doesn't get it), tried to train him to ring a bell for a while, he didn't get it, so I just gave up and take him out numerous times a day, but he still pees on my bathroom floor every few days, and sometimes my blankets, gross but I just gave up and clean it, wash the things, etc.
- I don't have a 'car seat' or seat belt for when we're in the car with my mom which is numerous times a week (though I do hold onto him or his leash to keep him back in case we make any fast stops/turns... but it's probably not the same as a doggy car seat or seat belt)
- He has never had a heart worm preventative because I cannot afford the vet visit plus the cost of the preventative, so yeah, I live in fear that he will get heart worms and die
- Some days I'm too depressed to go anywhere or do anything so I don't walk him
- I've never had him licensed

That being said, I could name off about 4 times that amount in reasons why I'm a great owner laugh out loud I bet the rest of you could too!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Aug 22 7:02 pm

Contests and Vote For Me! > Please vote for Carter in PetValu's Casting Call Contest! :)
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 12:36am PST 
Hey guys. Would you all please consider taking a moment to vote for Carter in PetValu's Casting Call contest? If he wins, his picture will be featured on the front cover of their 2013 calendar, and I would get a $500 gift card for their store! It would be great to see his cute face in their calendar, and the $500 pet store gift card would help me IMMENSELY, since I'm disabled (which is a massive financial strain) and have Carter and 3 rescue cats to support. You can vote for Carter here.

EDIT: This link does show his picture, but if you aren't able to vote at it, you can go to 'search' on the Casting Call page, type in Carter, and he's the white and gray shih-tzu who has his tongue sticking out laugh out loud

Thank you so much for reading this post, and hope you all are having a wonderful day! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Carter, Aug 10 12:36 am

Small Dogs > What kind of chews/bones do you give your small dog?

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 6:27pm PST 
I'm really puzzling over what to give Carter to chew on, because all the things they sell in stores are either rawhide or seem way too big for him. What do you all with small dogs give your dogs? Thanks in advance for any answers smile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:04 am

Food & Nutrition > Found these gems in a pet magazine today

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 3:23pm PST 
Wow, this is disturbing. There's already enough misinformation out there. It's terrible that most vets know next to nothing about pet nutrition... before I educated myself more on pet nutrition when Carter was still a puppy, I was feeding him Beneful (made by Purina), and when I took Carter to the vet for his shots she asked what I was feeding him, so I said Beneful by Purina, and she said that was 'fine'. However, when I took one of my cats to same vet clinic (but he saw a different vet) a few months later and the vet asked what I was feeding the cat, and I said Taste of the Wild and explained that it's grain-free, she gave me this horrified look! I won't feed TOTW or any Diamond products anymore due to the recalls, but TOTW is a great food otherwise and just goes to show how they don't know much about pet nutrition... I wonder if the vet that wrote this article genuinely believes the garbage she wrote...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 7:54 am

Dog Health > I can't believe how many fat dogs there are...

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 6:35am PST 
I've seen a few overweight dogs around here. One of them, unfortunately, is my parents' yellow lab. They insist on feeding her Kibbles N Bits or whatever food is on sale and the cheapest, plus she gets massive amounts of people food. I have tried to nicely give them some tips but they just ignore them, they also insist that their dog is thin, when she is about 10-15 lbs. overweight. They think I'm crazy and obsessive about my pets' health because I feed them Acana, which is expensive, but I feel it's worth it for the benefits. My mom actually told me today to stop feeding my dog and cats expensive food because it 'won't do anything' and 'won't make them live any longer', she also insists it will do nothing to keep them healthy at all. I didn't even say anything because I was so furious and disagreed with her on so many levels.

Sadly, there are a LOT of people around here with the same beliefs... too many dogs on poor quality diets, fed too much people food and not getting enough exercise. I don't think there's any excuse for a dog to be overweight unless it has a medical condition that makes it so. Maybe that sounds harsh, but I think that because you can easily feed them on a schedule and measure out their food, plus it's easy to get your dog exercise... called walking the dog. I think so many people are either lazy or 'too busy' to walk their dogs, and there is such ignorance about pet nutrition. I've met so many people that insist Kibbles N Bits or Purina foods are healthy for pets and honestly believe what they're saying...
[notify]
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Jul 11 5:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Anybody else have a dog that is always in the way?
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:45pm PST 
Carter sometimes gets in the way, but he understands the command "Go" very well and will move quickly about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is when he's very curious about something, like when I go to change the cat litter or sometimes when I move things around a lot when cleaning... lol
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Carter, Jun 29 7:45 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.