Postings by Ares

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Raw Food Diet > VERY Concerned...bloody poop...need help!!! PIP!
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:13am PST 
Certainly a little scary looking, I can understand how that would freak you out! Is that his first and only poop like this? Has it gone back to normal since last night?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Karma, Feb 11 12:17 am

Raw Food Diet > Getting a bit worked up!
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:10am PST 
Bravo Audrey! applause
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zack, Feb 11 8:29 am

Puppy Place > Jogging with my Puppy

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 2:02pm PST 
Wait, so is the problem that she wants to run when you want to walk or that you feel like you might run her too much?

If you're worried about running her excessively, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned - she will probably always be able to outdistance you, no matter how good you get at running. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Feb 8 12:36 pm

Raw Food Diet > Help, my 20lb dog farts with all the force of a grown man.

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 1:44pm PST 
We were just at the vet yesterday - but it's been a few weeks of off-and-on squirts. He has a nice solid poop every now and then, but it's not on a consistent enough basis. He's been clear of parasites for the last month and a half and is exceptionally healthy. I think my fiance feeds him the kibble also out of convenience sometimes. It's always when I'm not around to give him his raw meals, as I measure each portion out and I don't think he wants to go through he trouble. I might try cutting up a few indvididual meals ahead of time so it's not an issue of what's more convenient.
shrug

I think I'll sit down and try to get him on board completely, otherwise I feel like we're just spinning our wheels and it's not doing my pup's tummy any favors...and I might just donate that bag dog food and be done with it!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ares, Feb 7 1:44 pm

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 8:55am PST 
Just ordered a bottle of Holistic Solution to try... fingers crossed!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ares, Feb 7 1:44 pm

Puppy Place > My puppy the street sweeper
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 8:44am PST 
Ares discovered the wonders of cat caviar the other day; our neighbor's kitty likes to use a particular patch of mulch as her litterbox, and Ares struck gold the other day. It was foul! eek

We've started teaching Ares to loose-leash walk next to us, so he doesn't walk ahead of us with his nose glued to the ground searching for yucky delicacies. I keep the loop of his leash in my right hand and take the length out of the leash with my left so that he has to stay next to me, and hold a treat in my left hand above him so he focuses there instead of ahead. After a minute or so of good walking I reward him with the treat. If he pulls to run ahead or fixates on something he finds attractive, we immediately sit and I refocus him on the treat in my hand before we take off again. It's going beautifully, we have had far fewer stinky eats.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ares, Feb 7 8:44 am

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 8:34am PST 
I'll try adding a probiotic. It's just making it harder to justify switching to raw with my fiance lately; we both feel bad for the pup when he's got the splarts, and it's turning into a debate on whether I'm hurting him by being stubborn and continuing to feed him raw. When I'm not home, the fiance tends to feed him from the leftover bag of puppy kibble we bought when we first brought him home, hoping that it will firm him up. It feels like he's undermining my choice to go raw, and I don't know what effect that is having on his digestive system. I think it would be easier for him to adjust if his diet was consistent, but we are at odds as to how to best address his runny episodes. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ares, Feb 7 1:44 pm

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:49am PST 
Not to mention, he has frequent lava-butt. We're one month on raw, and his poops are only firm every so often. Most the time they're pretty soft. We're only feeding unenhanced whole chicken, which I've been weighing out to the proper portion size (I thought maybe I was overfeeding) and completely skinning (blamed it on any shred of skin I left intact, but no). I've been trying to tinker with scaling back portions even further and adding more bone hoping his gut would adjust, but no luck.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm just being dense and he could possibly be allergic to chicken. I've been trying to stick to the concept of not moving to a new meat source until he's pooping regularly, but I feel awful watching him have the squirts on a regular basis. red face

I had someone tell me, "Oh, puppies just have runnier poops.", but I'm not sure if I buy that. Should we try something else and see if he's better suited to another meat?

Pungently yours, Ares.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ares, Feb 7 1:44 pm

Puppy Place > How do you feel about Puppy Kindergarten?

Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:04am PST 
We're in puppy kindergarten right now, and it's been an overall good experience so far - it's a great way for us to socialize and work on basic skills. dog walk

However, I will say that the only drawback is that you can't always pick your classmates or their owners! For the past two classes I've been frustrated that we always seem to find ourselves seated next to the same family when class starts. The problem isn't their pup, it's their kid! He's extremely hyperactive and will actually try to inconspicuously scoot his chair little by little over to us while stretching his hand out, hoping Ares will pay attention to him. It's not only distracting for Ares but for us! shrug

Last night someone mistook him for our child since he was actually sitting closer to me. I told him that he could pet Ares after class, hoping his parents would pick up on the fact that he was invading our space, and when the father told the son to move back over to sit with him, the kid actually HIT him! eek

We are definitely going to deliberately distance ourselves from the problem child next week - and I plan on addressing the issue with the trainer when she calls mid-week to check up on our homework. A class full of excited puppies can be enough distraction without having to deal with a kid who won't respect boundaries - but we'll see that solved. meditate
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 31 1:57 pm

Raw Food Diet > So, what's in your food bowl today!!
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 5:09pm PST 
Crocodile steak! Jealous!
[notify]
» There has since been 138 posts. Last posting by Buster, Jul 27 5:49 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.