Postings by Opheila

GO!

(Page 1 of 101: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '14 4:22pm PST 
Just to clarify, I don't mean going over and breaking into anybody's house or doing anything illegal...really that wouldn't help anything...
but we had a similar situation with a cat many years ago. Unfortunately they moved him two states away. But if they had been close by and there were no witnesses...Best of luck to you and Mya
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Wed 4:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > Picky Eater
Opheila

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 7:37pm PST 
Sophie is a pain in the butt with food. Callie will happily inhale anything you put down. Sophie has been known to turn up her nose at a meal or two and still take her time deciding if she feels like eating yet.
Some dogs are just more finicky I suppose. Healthy additions can be minced meat or fish, vegetables, cheese, perhaps a sprinkling of garlic powder, I'll use a sprinkling of dry cat food...not so healthy but it works. Oh and warm water. Warm water softens the kibble and makes it kind of a nice meaty stew.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Sun 7:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Hi all

Opheila

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:57am PST 
What terrific pictures and such gorgeous pups!!!!
We haven't had a lot of fun up to now this season. First gasps of Spring. We didn't see our front lawn for two months...seriously, freakiest snow storms in many years.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tyler , Apr 15 11:25 am

Behavior & Training > Aggression in car towards other dogs

Opheila

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:51am PST 
I don't know if this is a behavior that can be redirected or minimized in some way. Up until recently Sophie was kinda bipolar with this. She could be happily running in the park with another dog. Then see the same dog a few minutes later from the car and be flinging herself at the dashboard. Out of the car and she'd be instantly mellow again...with the same dog.
Frustration? Being too dumb to realize the dog outside is the SAME dog? I don't know. She did start turning on dogs in public but it didn't happen until after about eight years. She even barks like a nut at places where she saw a cat or squirrel or other dog once, guess she expects if she barks loud enough they'll magically appear again?

Callie on the other hand is silent in the car. Maybe some deep growls at the gas station guys coming too close. But people, other dogs, cats, squirrels...he'll glance at them. Then give a sigh and lay on the seat until we get where we're going.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 15 10:51 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > I want to cry. my service dog bit me!

Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:22pm PST 
I'm so sorry this happened to you but as long as it doesn't become a habit I'd give your dog some leeway. If it happens again, some refresher training might be in order. But really...dogs, cats can be testy sometimes and it doesn't mean they're turning on you. It's okay, just make it clear it's not going to happen again.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Link, Sun 8:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!
Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:16pm PST 
I know it's totally unethical but I would dognap Mya back...but that's just me. Best of luck and thoughts are with youmeditate
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Wed 4:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Guarding my bedroom and bed...Help!

Opheila

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 2:34pm PST 
Sophie went through a phase like this too. She'd growl at my husband when he tried to get in bed with me. Obviously this was not going to fly. It took about a month of EVERY time she even raised her lip at him even with no growl I picked her up and put her in the hall.
Not being able to get to me is probably the worst punishment she can imagine but she had to learn cause and effect. If you even look at Daddy funny while you're on his bed...out you go. She learned and hasn't tried it since.
It's important that you be the one disciplining, he'll probably snap at anyone else. Whatever you do, don't let it cross his mind to growl or snap at YOU. Sophie tested me once. I'm very quiet normally, raising my voice while looking in her eyes worked.
She dropped her whole body down cowering. I never had to speak in that tone again, well except when she kills squirrels.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Clyde, Apr 12 7:50 am

Behavior & Training > Opinion on Open Fencing

Opheila

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '14 1:25pm PST 
Actually walking residential areas with Sophie puts my fur on edge anyways. It's a bit easier to walk her down main streets where I have a clear view what or who is ahead of us. dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 31 6:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Opinion on Open Fencing

Opheila

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 5:55pm PST 
Crisis averted, I managed to drag then distract Sophie across the street when we were walking. But there is a house down the road with a side yard, almost even with the sidewalk.
They have a medium high cyclone fence and an adult shepherd/border collie mix. On one paw I guess if it was my yard I have the right to the fencing I want to have. But I wish these people had the fence baffles-the plastic weave that covers a fence so you can't see through it.
Maybe I'm just more sensitive because Sophie is so dog reactive now. But from the distance I didn't see this fence coming up. Suddenly there's the flash of dog charging the fence and of course Sophie going ballistic.
For her she was a good girl. She let me get her away from there without too much fuss. But I was shaky for a few blocks after. I have to start memorizing yards to stay away from better.shock
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 31 6:49 pm

Behavior & Training > When?????
Opheila

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 4:14pm PST 
Like I've posted before...they should change the registration process. Some other sites let you register, then hold your account. Over the course of three days you HAVE to have an avatar and post at least six legit comments that are checked by the moderators before going on the site, and even then you can only post in certain areas.
After the three days you can freely post in any topic. But if you pop in a spambot ever, the moderators bump you off the site immediately.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Mar 27 4:14 pm

(Page 1 of 101: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.