Postings by Cookie

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Health > my husky dog doesn't gain weight!! pls help!!
Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:55pm PST 
Your husky can have some of my husky mix's fat. She has plenty to spare. She's a husky husky! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Teeko, Aug 25 6:11 pm

Dog Health > Fleas are hard to get rid of this year..
Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:52pm PST 
Fleas and ticks have also been quite a nuisance here this summer. I second the night light/dish water method. It really helps, or if you're afraid the water will be upset overnight you can get a 'flea light' that draws the fleas in and keeps them stuck on some sort of paper, much like fly paper, I guess.

I've been vacuuming the carpet and furniture every day - except Sundays - for a month or more now, and my mother-in-law has been washing blankets and bedding like there's no tomorrow, and after a month and a half we are finally winning the battle. relieved
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Aug 24 6:52 pm

Dog Health > K-9 ADVANTIX II IS TERRIBLE

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:48pm PST 
Cookie had muscle spasms in her hind legs after I put K9 Advantix II on her. She had the same reaction to Frontline, and Trifexis made her itch and made her gums pale. I've been using Sentry Natural and it seems to do a good job, although the dog smells of cloves for two days after I put it on her.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Sep 7 3:12 pm

Dog Health > Anyone use organic/natural options for preventives ? (flea/tick/heartworm) black walnut for HW?

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:40pm PST 
I have the same question. My dog gets muscle spasms from many of the main-stream parasite killer/preventatives.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Aug 24 6:40 pm

Dog Health > Itching, itching, itching

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 3:59pm PST 
Yeah, I found a tick on her during the last week of March. It's been a rough year with parasites, for sure.

The lady at the local feed store recommended brewer's yeast. Apparently my allergic dog is also allergic to that. *sigh* Do you ever feel like putting your dog in some sort of bubble?

I'm going down to take care of a sick family member this week, but I think the week after I'm going to see if I can find a vet that's good with allergies, which will mean at least a 30 minute drive, if not more. Wish me luck with finding one. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 6:19 pm

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 5:51pm PST 
Yes, our previous vet told us to use Benadryl. It's quite handy.

Cookie is doing much better. Her skin is much less irritated and the itching isn't nearly as bad, plus I haven't seen any fleas in days. I wonder if posts are worse this year? We had no fleas at all here last year.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 6:19 pm

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 10:40am PST 
It seems to be fleas causing the problem. I thoroughly vacuumed everywhere. I gave Cookie a bath with flea shampoo (I think the brand is called Natural Chemistry), and also massaged her with apple cider vinegar while I had her in the shower (apply, let sit for several minutes, then rinse). The apple cider vinegar really does work wonders... it greatly reduced the redness. She didn't have any hot spots, only red, sore skin. I have also brushed her thoroughly and re-applied the flea meds. She is not speaking to me at the moment, but she will change her mind come supper time.

She is due for her yearly vet check-up soon. I wish I knew a good vet in this area. The two vet offices closest to me have ticked me off, and I have heard bad things about the next-closest office. I miss my old vet from WV. :-( She knew what she was doing, gave it to you straight, and tried her best not to cost you an arm and a leg. I wish there were more like her.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 6:19 pm

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 8:30pm PST 
OK. IF it's fleas I think the problem may stem from our indoor/outdoor cats. I don't think they've been treated for fleas yet this year.

I've heard that apple cider vinegar works well in soothing skin irritation. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will Benadryl help the dogs stop itching?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 6:19 pm

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:48pm PST 
About three weeks ago all 4 of our dogs started itching. I had just switched them all over to Earthborn Holistic food, so I blamed that at first, although I thought it very strange that all 4 dogs should have a reaction to the food, especially one that seems to be so highly recommended. One thing that really baffles me is that my dog, Cookie, has had a yeast infection in her ears on and off for a year, and the yeast infection cleared up once she was switched to EH, but her coat got dull and itchy and scabby. The area between her hind legs is also very inflamed.

As for the other three dogs, they all have places on them where they've scratched themselves raw. One of the dogs has never had any skin problems but now has a huge sore behind her ear. One struggles with demodectic mange, but was dosed for that before this whole fiasco (with a medicine that treats not only mites but heartworms, fleas, ticks, etc), and she is constantly, itching, too, although she is the only one with no sore spots. The last dog has had dry skin issues in the past, but has seldom been this itchy. He also has a few scabby areas on his back.

Finally, a few days ago my step-daughter said she kept getting bitten by fleas when she sat on the couch.

So I was wondering, do you think this is a food issue, or flea bite dermatitis, or something else? The only flea I've seen on my dog this year has been a dead one on her foot; I've been treating her with flea meds since March, and I brush her copiously (because I have to, or else the house is overrun with dog fluff). I know she can still be bitten by a flea and that can trigger a reaction. Is it possible all 4 dogs are reacting to the fleas, or could it be the food?
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 6:19 pm

Dog Health > Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !
Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:01pm PST 
Saya - I'm not sure if you're addressing me or not, but I live in a small housing development. There is high grass and weeds in some of the places we walk, but we don't typically go into any forested areas (although we do skirt a few). However, the woman at the feed store says she applies the Sentry Natural to her cats, and she does have forested property, and it works well for her cats. We live in the northeast, though, so I don't know if it would be as effective if used in someplace like Florida.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 7:07 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.