Postings by Sweeney (Todd)

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Please allow me to be mad for a second!
Sweeney- (Todd)

The demon- groomer of Fleet- Street

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 9:24pm PST 
My mom always told me that when she started training dogs back in the 80's, the first trainer she went to used choke chains. She had a Pomeranian. Of course. Most of her dogs before Cinnamon were Poms. She went to one class. One with her dog. After seeing how horrified her dog became on the choke chain, she never returned.

And I can't say I blame her.

I don't like choke chains on big dogs. The idea of using one on a little dog... especially a breed notorious for trachea problems? That scares me. cry
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Dec 3 3:08 pm

Pomeranian > Is my dog a pure pomeranian or a pomsky
Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 4:17pm PST 
Because of her coat I'm inclined to think she's a mixed breed, as well. Size and coat make me think she's not pure bred. (Not that that matters. She's still a beautiful doll and I'm sure you love her all the same cloud 9 )

Unless those pictures are old, she doesn't have the coat of any 8 mo old Pom I've ever seen. Even if it was the puppy uglies, her coat would be... well, ugly. For lack of a better term. laugh out loud It doesn't seem to be caught anywhere between puppy uglies and full coat, though. If those pictures ARE old and she was younger in them, then she'd seem awfully big.

If I had to wager, I'd guess Pomeranian and husky. I guess the designer name is "Pomsky", but to-may-toe to-mah-toe.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sweeney (Todd), Mar 18 4:17 pm

Pomeranian > Is it ok for a Pomeranian to jump up on things alot?

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 4:11pm PST 
Cam is right. Luxating patella is the main concern with Pomeranians and jumping. Sweeney has it (grade two - as in his kneecap pops out and won't pop back in on his own, worse than grade one but nowhere near bad enough to require surgery) and can't do much jumping. He still tries, bless him, and if the jump isn't high at all, I let him. I do NOT let him jump on couches, beds, chairs, or anything of the like. He is not allowed to climb up the steps (but will bounce down without a problem) and before he's taken outside on leash, he jumps on our short coffee table to make it easier for me to put the leash on him (less bending on my part, as I have bad knees, too). We lift him up to put him on most furniture. He won't do much jumping on his own, anyway.

Ninja, my sister's pomeranian, does not have luxating patellas and is just fine jumping. It's never seemed to bother him at all. So, it all boils down to whether your dog seems to have any joint problems. If you notice any, I'd stop letting him jump. If you don't and never do, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the jumps he's making can't cause him to hurt himself just from the fall.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by cella, Aug 25 9:30 pm

Small Dogs > What kind of chews/bones do you give your small dog?

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 11:51am PST 
Sandy gets a plethora of chews. But she has very strong teeth and a very strong jaw, so I trust her with them. Of course, I still supervise her... but she's pretty good about chewing off only what she can swallow. She is partial to Nylabones (the original kind is the ONLY kind she'll chew, which is annoying since most stores do not carry them in her size any longer) and bully sticks. I always have to buy her a size UP because of how strong her jaw is!

Sweeney, OTOH, I'm more cautious with. He gets Nylabones frequently and he likes them. They have them in tiny, small, and medium. All of which are good for the various sizes of small dogs and the various strengths of their jaws. I don't give him bully sticks or anything. Last time I did, he tried to swallow a piece that was WAY too big for his tiny throat. So, just Nylabones and similar chews for Sweeney.

Rawhides... rawhides... rawhides... I gave them to Lilo, Chance, and Cinnamon for many years with no problem. Until one day a piece swelled in Cinnamon's throat and she choked on it. In a panic, I pulled it out (I didn't know what else to do). I will never give rawhide again. If one wants to take the gamble, that's entirely up to them. But I don't think it's safe/healthy at all. It swells when wet, which can cause blockages or if the dog is like Cinnamon was (she chewed for a long time before swallowing, at which point a small piece would be MUCH bigger than what she bit off) it can get lodged in their throat. There are many safer alternatives to rawhide. And not all of them are as expensive as bully sticks!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:04 am

Small Dogs > Pomeranian Too Small To Jump On The Couch?

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 1:38pm PST 
Sweeney has trouble hopping on couches. We lift him onto them if he wants to join us. He, though, has luxating patellas. So, that's to be expected. I think it's common within not only the breed, though, but small dogs in general (having trouble jumping, that is - though luxating patellas are, too). Ninja can. It worries me. My sister has stairs for him, but he never seems to use them. (Whereas Chloe seems to prefer them) Since Pomeranians are prone to joint problems and a fall can be dangerous for small dogs, I highly recommend investing in some stairs for small dogs. Your Pomeranian may not use them, but they should at least be available. If she doesn't use them, you can always do what we do with Sweeney and just lift her up. Make the couch off limits when you're not there to put her on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Suzi, Jul 28 7:19 pm

Dog Health > Hip dysplasia? Patellar luxation? Or is this just how my MinPin moves?
Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 11:39am PST 
Some of her symptoms are very similar to Sweeney's (he actually spins in circles when he poops, as though he can't hold the position too long). He has Patellar luxation. I'm not sure how common that is in Miniature Pinschers, though. When you pick her up, do you ever feel her back knees kind of "click" out of place? (That was the first sign I had that something was wrong with Sweeney's back legs - I had lifted him up in PetSmart and felt something "click"; I can often hear it, too) I'm not sure if it's hip dysplasia or luxating patellars, but I'd definitely say her symptoms warrant an x-ray. Good luck and I hope it's nothing too serious. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Alvin & Felix, Jun 11 7:05 pm

Pomeranian > To Snuggle or Not to Snuggle...

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:19pm PST 
I'll be honest, neither Ninja nor Sweeney are keen on the snuggling. Ninja will cuddle up to you when he wants to cuddle... but as soon as you put your arm around him, he gets up, grunts, and walks away. Likewise, if you try to force him to cuddle... he'll get up, grunt, and walk away. Sweeney, I suspect would be a cuddler if he weren't so playful! Every time I try to cuddle with that one, he insists on kissing me a million times or wriggling out of my grasp to fetch a squeaky toy and ask me to play. He never cuddles. When he sleeps, he prefers doing so either in his crate, on his favorite chair by himself, or on a blanket on the floor. None of this bothers me too much as I've never been much for cuddling myself. Sandy isn't a cuddler, either (not a Pom, but a small dog) and I've made due. She sleeps at the foot of my bed, that's good enough for me. Though, admittedly, she will huff and move to her crate if I toss and turn too much or hog the blanket. After a while, you get used to having dogs that don't cuddle much. They show affection in their own little ways. smile

Pidgeon: That article is great. I was always told by my mother that her females were always the more independent and "dominant" out of her bunch and that the males were always more friendly and affectionate. She preferred females, but everyone has a preference... Ninja and Sweeney are very friendly and affectionate. Just like I've always been told males are. hi5 They're just not big on cuddling.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sweeney (Todd), Feb 13 10:19 pm

Pomeranian > "Uglies Twice"!?

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:14pm PST 
Male poms generally blow coat once per year (usually sometime in the spring, or around their birthday). I've heard some people saying that their poms are starting early this year. This is likely what's going on with him.

I am actually really, really glad I stumbled on this post because I was about to ask the same question. Sweeney's been shedding, too... and both my mother and I thought it was way too early to be seasonal. But seeing that a lot of Pomeranians are starting early this year puts most of my fears to rest as it definitely does just look like a seasonal blowing of the coat (like what Cinnamon went through twice a year). Thanks for posting this to the OP and for everyone who answered. flowers
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cam, Feb 15 1:08 pm

Pomeranian > My Pom is massive?

Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:07pm PST 
Bigger poms aren't unheard of. They're not show quality, but if your dog is a pet, that shouldn't matter at all. Sweeney is a bit bigger (not much bigger than standard, but bigger than what you usually see at dog shows!) weighing about nine lbs. He was 10 when we got him, but he was, also, overweight then, too. I've seen Pomeranians that weigh up to 15 lbs. I've never seen 30 lb ones and have my doubts about whether they can 'throw back' that much, but I know that Pomeranians that weigh more than 7 lbs or even in the teens aren't at all uncommon or rare.

ETA: Pidgeon; Don't even trust AKC 100%! I've heard horror stories from my mother about things she witnessed in the dog world. One of them being a specific breeder who bred both Pomeranians and Chihuahuas that would sometimes falsify papers to register accidental litters as pure bred. Never trust a breeder according to papers, regardless of kennel club. The papers are only as reliable as the breeder is.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 8 10:11 am

Puppy Place > Crate or Outside?
Sweeney- (Todd)

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 8:21pm PST 
Sweeney and Sandy (well, sometimes for Sandy, not all the time) get crated. Lilo gets put in "her room". (Her room being an empty room with her crate, her toys, and her water dish) Confined to the room, Lilo has nothing that she can get into. Confined to their crates, Sandy and Sweeney also can't get into anything. I leave them with a Nylabone a piece or a stuffed Kong.

I, personally, wouldn't go the outside route. But that might be because the last dog I left outside unsupervised... well, she's not here today. And that was only five minutes. So, after that, I'm a bit of a worry wart about it. As long as you won't be gone for a very long time, the crate should be fine provided your dog is crate trained.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by The Hounds of Bassetville +3, Jan 13 2:38 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.