Postings by Okami Amaterasu

GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Calling all Designer Dogs/ Unique Combinations of dogs
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 7:55am PST 
Gotta agree with Fritz and Toto on this one definitely.

I work at a Petsmart in the grooming salon and it honestly drives me nuts all the people that come in claiming that their dog is a "yorkipoo", "goldendoodle", "havapoo", and whatever else ridiculous names. It saddens me that these people have no idea that their dogs were not bred reputably and that they actually believe their dogs are "designer" breeds.

It frankly makes me sick to think about it.

Edit for mispellings silenced
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by Baby, Mar 10 10:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?
Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 7:25am PST 
Okami-Shiba Inu

Best breed trait- Her cat-like qualities. I'm not much of a "doggie-dog" person, if that makes any sense, and Okami's cat-dog personality is like the best of both worlds, bol.

Worst breed trait- Her prey drive. This could also be considered "cat-like" as she despises other cats (much like most cats seem to detest one another) but it's worse as she has a problem with attacking them >_>
(Though thankfully she has seemed to have mellowed out drastically since she turned 3).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Okami Amaterasu, Mar 1 7:25 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What breeds come in tricolors? (brown, white, black)?

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 5:10pm PST 
Shiba Inus as well; though the color is technically called black and tan, most also have quite a bit of white too wink
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ava & Nix, Feb 23 12:30 pm

Grooming > How Much to Tip a Groomer?

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:01pm PST 
Slowly becoming zombie thread, lol

I'm a groomer, and it's honestly a little annoying that I hardly ever get tipped. In a normal day, I am lucky if out of the 6-7 dogs I'll have that just one person will tip. But most days I don't ever get tipped.

I once got into a conversation with a customer, and along the way she mentioned that it had never even occurred to her that you should tip your groomer.

Maybe it's just the way I was brought up, but I figured it was common knowledge, and common curtsey, to tip the groomer. I always did before I started grooming dogs myself shrug

Maybe it's just my area, lol. Because, now that I think about it, I am in an area where the vast majority of people have overweight dogs, still believe firmly in dominance in dogs, breed their dogs for the heck of it, and are astounded that their dogs should be walked every day shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Oct 28 3:42 am

Shiba Inu > Food Advice

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:38pm PST 
I'm feeding a raw diet.
It's the most natural kind of diet out there, but it is very time consuming and can get expensive. I think it's worth it though.

Otherwise, Blue Buffalo is a pretty decent food company. I've never fed it myself when Okami was still on kibble, but looking at the ingredients it is pretty good.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Saki, Jan 25 11:28 am

Behavior & Training > Commands Without Speaking
Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 8:45am PST 
Whenever I train a dog I always start with hand signals first, spoken commands come later after they have the command spot on every time.

I don't know why, this is just something I have always naturally done with dogs. Perhaps it's the way I train, but any dogs I've trained always seem to respond more quickly to the hand signals than to spoken words. And paired together just gets their attention even faster and more in focus.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Jan 14 1:16 pm

Food & Nutrition > Confession time. What's the worst snack/food thing you'll still give your dog?

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:47am PST 
Uhmmm...pea pods? shrug

I'm kind of an overprotective freak when it comes to Okami and what I give her to eat haha. She does get a cookie at bedtime every night, but even those are grain-free biscuits, she gets the grain-free Fruitables for training treats or the Blue Buffalo wilderness soft treats.

I guess the most fattening thing she gets is Dentley's pig ears, but only because I hadn't ordered more bully sticks in a while. I tend to freak out about treats, specially considering so many are recalled, that even with those I only give her the healthy stuff.

And human food is out of the question what with her animal food aggression...cept for left over pea pods from the parrot lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Jan 22 4:22 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > More unbelievable dog "owners"

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 1:14pm PST 
Cinnamon is doing very well. She's been to the vet, had the shots she needed and, as we suspected, she needs to have quite a few teeth removed. We may have them removed when she goes for her spay, though it depends on how much it's going to cost us.

She is also showing more and more of her personality, lol. She is a MAJOR barker; barks when you come in the room, when doors open, even when you come down the stairs. She also is, of course, not house trained. We're working on it, but she doesn't really realize not to go in the house yet. She also pees when she is excited or scared, which is not all that surprising.

I maaaay have found a home for her; a woman I work with who groomed Cinnamon has fallen in love with her haha, so she may take her after her spay.

Wish me luck in finding her a home! party
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lily, Jan 5 4:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Tell me about the Xoloitzcuintli...

Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:35pm PST 
I know this thread is almost a year old, but I had some more questions about the breed. Specifically for Tiller who I hope will see this!

One thing I've read a couple times about the breed, that I'm not sure whether or not is a myth, is that because of their dental issues you need to be careful about what you feed them. I've seen a couple times where people claimed that Xolos, even standards, should be fed dry kibble. I am a huge advocate for the raw diet, so would it be fine for a Xolo to be on this kind of diet? Perhaps only feeding softer bones? Obviously because of their teeth, if I ever get one, I would be dedicated to brushing them every day anyway lol

Also in regards to their skin, I've also read that only those dogs with lighter spots/freckles should need sunscreen and only on those lighter spots. Is this also true? Or should they get sunscreen on their entire bodies when it is hot out? And do they ever need any sort of doggie lotion considering that they have no fur to hold in their bodies' natural oils?

The breed, especially standards, seem so hard to find that finding correct information about them has also proved rather challenging.

Thanks for any help!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Okami Amaterasu, Dec 18 6:35 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > More unbelievable dog "owners"
Okami- Amaterasu

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:10pm PST 
Thank you for the kind words everyone.

But honestly I don't feel like there was much of a decision to make. I think any other kind (or sane) person would have done the same. And she is just a small pom, it's not like we were talking about a giant or even medium sized dog, so she's not too huge of a burden on us as a temporary rescue.

I just can't fathom how people can get any sort of animal, have it since it was a puppy/kitten/etc. and for ten years of it's life, and then just be "oh, I don't want it anymore".

It shouldn't be too hard to find her a good home, she is such a sweet little dog. She and Okami even get along somewhat (or, more that Okami tolerates her as best as she can, lol) which is rather surprising to me. But we're getting her to the vet (and the groomers, PEW!!) asap and then hopefully into a permanent home.

Whether she lives just another year or even another ten years, she deserves a much better home and people to care for her.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Lily, Jan 5 4:44 pm

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.