Postings by Emma

GO!

Catahoula Leopard Dog > Help: Six Month old female with serious prey drive

Emma

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 1:06pm PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone! I got her a frisbee, a flyball and a food puzzle. Since I can't walk/run her at all right now, it seems to be keeping her occupied. For now Emma is separated from the small dogs, and we start a training class on Saturday. I am looking into agility, I feel like she would do very well.

Once again, glad to hear it's possible to break! Everyone keeps telling me it isn't!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 1 10:15 am

Catahoula Leopard Dog > Help: Six Month old female with serious prey drive
Emma

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 10:17am PST 
Hello all,

I was looking for some advice concerning my six month old female catahoula/cur puppy. I have Emma, along with two much older female chihuahua's (15 & 11) another catahoula mix and a border collie mix. Emma seriously injured our 11 year old chihuahua last night under supervision. Had I not been there the vet said the chihuahua would not have survived. There was no food present, and I have no idea what triggered it.

I adopted her from a local barn in the area as a family dog, not for hunting or working. The breeders were well aware of my smaller dogs, and the other dogs in the house, yet never cautioned me; and when I did some research I obviously did not look deep enough. Unfortunately I feel ignorant now for adopting her. I did not know Catahoulas have a difficult time coexisting with other dogs, especially smaller breeds.

I also did not know that this specific litter was bred solely for hunting, it turns out the breeders just wanted the puppies off their hands, and most of the puppies they gave away (except for those who went to hunting homes) were re-homed for aggressive behaviors.

Normally I run her 2-3 miles a day, but I was told I am not able to run for at least a month due to a severe medical issue. Lately I've just been either walking her or playing/training her, which obviously isn't enough.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your catahoula from getting bored, or aggressive towards your other animals? I would love to hear any ideas, people who have had the same issue, or any references that have helped you out in the past.

I do realize this is not an ideal situation for Emma to be in now, but I really DO NOT want to have to find her a new home. So if you don't have any positive advice, please don't bother replying. I am trying to do anything I can to make this work.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 1 10:15 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.