Postings by Ellie

GO!

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion
Ellie

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:03am PST 
There is a documentary called "Beyond the Myth" that discusses PitBulls and banning. You can view it on Netflix. Description: "Unfairly known as violent killers, pit bulls have suffered from the stigma of negative media coverage that has lead to citywide bans across the country. This documentary strips away the preconceptions to show the loving companions these dogs can be."
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Get Well Soon > Potential IMHA diagnosis
Ellie

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:02pm PST 
Hi Dottie Sue,

If you google "Meisha's Hope" you'll find a site with lots of great information and links. There are also a number of success stories.

My beagle was diagnosed in 2008. It was really a tough time, and she did not survive, but I do know about several dogs who made it.

Hugs to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cherokee Forever Loved Cherry, Jan 18 3:26 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > The end is probably near

Ellie

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 4:42am PST 
hughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 23 7:53 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Finding Rudy

Ellie

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:18am PST 
hughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Rudy, Apr 23 2:57 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Introducing Lily

Ellie

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 4:39am PST 
Great to hear!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Nov 12 4:39 am

Behavior & Training > Reactive Dog Support Thread
Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:00pm PST 
Rexy, I sometimes use a GL, but Ellie will pant continuously. I was unsure if that was okay or not. I really liked the control it gave me. We have taken reactivity classes, and I learned a lot although I had some trouble managing Ellie. Then I hired a trainer for 1:1 training. We worked on loose lead walking, heeling, and focusing mainly. I think training her to walk in a heel position was the most beneficial thing. If we see a trigger, all I have to do is tell her to heel and we can make an easy change of direction. I wanted to continue with the private lessons (we had 6) but it was too expensive.

Smokey, that leash looks terrfic. I may try it. I've just purchased a two handled leather leash for over twice the among of the Kong leash.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Mar 22 11:18 pm

Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:08pm PST 
Smokey, That's a great idea. I'll give it a try.

Lupi, Thanks for sharing. It's great to read success stories.

I'd love to take a class, but I'm afraid I cannot manage Ellie well enough in that kind of setting yet. I am not sure what others do who have large reactive dogs. We've had a lot of training 1:1. Up until a few months ago, I'd been pulled down by Ellie a number of times. I've gotten better with instinctively knowing what I should do when a trigger appears.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Mar 22 11:18 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Finding Rudy

Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 8:39am PST 
hug
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Rudy, Apr 23 2:57 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Making the choice to put a dog up for adoption?

Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:35am PST 
I wondered if it could be a grief/fear reaction. I knew someone whose dog started having behavior problems after the death of another dog. She was able to deal with the problem by using calming aids. I do not know the specifics.

Let us know what the behaviorist says. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 2:32 pm

Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:58am PST 
After this morning's walk, I knew I had to find this thread for reassurance. It's great to read about the progress some of you have made with your reactive dogs.

I am at year two working with Ellie, and I've been managing her reactivity pretty good. We can pass other dogs at a distance of about 30 feet. There isnt a problem anymore with bikers or joggers. She loves for people to say hello to her.

I have been able to keep her under threshold until this morning.

This morning's walk was bad. We went to the local park to walk. It was a continuous train whistle that set her off. She bolted. Normally I would have quickly headed in the other direction, but the whistle was all aroung us. She weighs 95 pounds and was wearing her no pull harness. It didn't do any good. Thankfully my husband was with me so he helped me stay in control.

We got into the car and went home so Ellie could have some time to settle down. I mentioned to my husband that perhaps I should use the head collar again and he said no because of the risk of neck injury.

I can alter the schedule to avoid the train, but it does worry me that I cannot manage Ellie in all situations.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Mar 22 11:18 pm

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.