Postings by Reagan

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Dog > Alaskan Noble Companion Dogs?
Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:23pm PST 
The ANCD is a fairly new breed with several breeds combined to create this very athletic, trainable and "wolfy looking" dog.

Yarrow is a very good example of a ANCD! His owner has done a great job raising him- and she takes amazing pictures of him too!!!

Here is Ann D.s official website (WIP).

http://alaskannoblecd.weebly.com/
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Reagan, Jan 8 12:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Neeko's Wisdom Panel
Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 12:08pm PST 
Neeko, how much was the Wisdom Panel test? I was considering doing them for all my dogs, but I only saw them so expensive!

And I am impressed with her results. Some of the others one I have seen made me go thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Jun 4 5:44 am

Choosing the Right Dog > How did you find "the breed"?

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 12:23pm PST 
I am the proud owner of 3 wolfdogs. Wolves have always been my passion and I had always wanted a wolfdog. I never thought that was a possibility so I went to my next preferred breed, the Alaskan Malamute. I had been looking thru the different Mal rescues for months (mind you I was only 15 yrs old at the time) and every dog I was interested in was either just adopted, not a good fit or my parents didn't like them. Then I stumbled across Monty on the Texas Alaskan Malamute Rescue website. Thinking he was just a wolfy looking Mal, I said that was the dog for me! My parents agreed and when I called on him, I was informed he was infact a wolfdog and a mid content at that. Even though I was a first time owner, they let me adopt him because he had such an amazing temperament. It was love at first sight- he ended up to be the most incredible animal I have ever raised.

Of course it went all downhill from there...laugh out loud After that I became actively involved in wolf/wolfdog rescue, adopted and fostered a few more and recently "purchased" (moreso given to me by a close friend of mine) a young puppy.

They are super intelligent animals, can be very subborn, independent, destructive, intense and needy. But their goofy personalities, expressions, communication and affections are amazing. I do not recommend them as pets to just anyone- but I don't think I will own any other "breed."

My next picks are followed closely by Malamutes, GSD's and Border Collies!!!

dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Cricket, May 28 4:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Whole prey question

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 8:05am PST 
Thanks guys! Yeah, my issue is that because they are larger (73-75lb female, and two 90 lb males) and fairly active animals, the three of them are eating about 5-9 lbs of *generally speaking* meat (depends on seasons- usually they get about 1 1/2- 2 1/2 lbs each in the summer, but in the winter they usually get 2 1/2- 3 1/2 lbs) and they are all on the leaner side.

266$ and 156 lbs of meat would only last me about a month. shock

Sorry to steal the topic away OP!

Everything so healthy...whether your're an animal or human...is so darn expensive!!!

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Reagan, Apr 28 8:05 am

Dog Health > U.S. Waters Polluted By 10 Million Tons Of Dog Poop

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:37pm PST 
I agree with Saya.

I think dogs that are fed a natural diet vs a kibble one (even a high quality holistic type kibble) are not *generally speaking* a part of the issue. I think kibble...as "healthy" as companies try to make it to be...it is still a processed food, one that is not "natural" and does not digest properly.

My own woofers are all raw fed (one 73lb female, one 85lb male and one 92lb male). Their piles are 1/2 the size of when they were fed HQ kibble, decompose to nothing in a day and there are no flies/bugs hovering around my poo trash/pooper scooper or their piles like when they were fed kibble.

My parents dogs- who are all smaller weighing between 40-60lbs- are all fed a HQ kibble. Not only are their piles bigger then my larger dogs, but their poo takes days to even look like it's decomposing. Their piles also seem to attract many more bugs/flies.

Sounds to me like it is not a population issue- even with altering. Sounds like it *could be* more of a diet issue.

Kind of makes you go thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Pandora, Oct 31 8:44 am

Food & Nutrition > HELP! Foods for k-9 with kidney issues!
Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 1:08pm PST 
My aunt has a 11 yr old Blue Heeler that was diagnosed with beginning stages of Kidney Disease 2 years ago.

She DOES NOT want to put him on the more commercial diets (such as k/d) provided thru the vet and has had exceptional luck with the organic dry food Karma. She has kept him current with testing his kidney function (renal panels) and the vet said he is doing awesome!

However, she is looking for something a little cheaper (and easier to find, especially now that Karma changed their formula).

She is willing to do a raw diet PART of the time as her job is a traveling one and is would be very difficult to properly do raw on the road.

Has anyone had any experiences with other holistic type dry food and kidney issues? Please, any additional information would be great!

Ideal PHOSPHORUS % should be .5 to .7 And protein should be low-mid 20's.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, Apr 22 12:44 pm

Raw Food Diet > Vets and Raw - Questions Asked By Vets

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 12:49pm PST 
We have had 2 cases at work (in the 9 yrs I have been there) of salmonella. Not from raw. One was from cooked chicken and the other was packaged lunch meat (turkey).

And good post Ripley!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Happy, Apr 19 8:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Why do people get wolf dogs?

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 3:03pm PST 
And what about a low content wolfdogs Gunther? I think it's been pretty well established that most people don't even own real wolfdogs, let alone true high contents.

Just curious.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Apr 15 9:50 am

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 2:20pm PST 
I respect your post Abner- that was probably the best explanation here. wink

Gosh I miss that movie, lol! Good movie quote, lol!

Seriously though, the thing that *some* people still seem to be missing is...wolfdogs are here whether you like it or not. So does the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" apply to people that own rescued wolfdogs as well?

Because that is MY personal issue. Some people have stated that rescue is different, but others still seem to be lumping all wolfdogs owners into one (whether responsible or not).

So when you see someone that has a real wolfdog in person, does it throw you into a disgusted fit of rage because you don't agree? Possibly without even giving that person a chance to explain it's a rescued animal and they do educational work? Does that even make a difference to you?

Because that's kind of the way I feel (many times) when I have my animals out in public and that's how I felt when I said my next wofldog was going to be an ambassador animal- and no one had even the slighest clue what a wolfdog ambassador really was- they just...assumed that they knew.

thinking

And yes...I am sure this is quite the show indeed, lol! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Apr 15 9:50 am

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 3:53am PST 
Mulder,

Wolfdogs serve as a slightly different form of ambassador. So before you jump the gun, ask about it. naughty

Such as, one of my old RESCUED wolfdogs I frequently brought as an ambassador for the local wolf/wolfdog sanctuary whenever they had a booth set up at a pet fest, rescue event or wildlife expo. Not only to teach about pure wolves in the wild and how they are not horrible animals and why it is important to preserve our ecosystem, but also why people get these animals as pets and then cannot take care of them. We also went around and taught identification classes since so many people think huskies and mals (or anything with yellow eyes and a black spot on the tail) is part wolf and why it is so important to not misrepresent or mislabel. Like I said before, it is all about the education. Sheesh, give me a little more credit. shrug

And Gunther, I figured that's what you were saying, but thought I'd throw it out there. There are still a few people that think that's where wolfdogs come from- or they are directly from a pure wolf. Removing generations generally does make a big difference. And what are you talking about- I RESCUED my first WOLFDOG when I was 15- from the Texas Alaskan Malamute Rescue rescue for goodness sake! Look up their website and he can be found under adopted dogs for 2000. He was not a pure wolf. The fact yet again remains that there will always be these animals that need homes- so what, deny responsible people owning them just because you don't agree with people having them (even though technically speaking, wolfdogs are not wild animals and in general are classified as domestic canines).

And it is slllllightly different owning a wolfdog- especially a low content or heck, even a mid content...vs owning an actual pure wolf or something like a big cat. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Lilith, ah yes, sorry. I can be lazy too. Always reminds me of CVS...

It is apparent that not everyone is going to agree- which is perfectly normal. But the fact remains is that wolfdogs are not going away anytime soon- and banning them (generally as when you ban everything else) is only going to hurt these animals more and the responsible owners that have them. So try to educate (nicely) instead of making them out to be horrible animals. wave
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Apr 15 9:50 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.