Postings by Halo

GO!

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogs and a Clean Home > Lawn is hanging by a thread...
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Fri Apr 15, '11 12:13pm PST 
Buffalo grass, you can order it several places online. That stuff is worse than kudzoo for spreading, getting tall and, refusing to go away in even the harshest environments as long as it has water. Kudzoo would also work if you live where it grows, just smash a few kudzoo tatters out there, and wait a couple of weeks- tons of dark green leafy stuff.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Glacier, Apr 20 2:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Have you or your dog ever gotten a food borne illness before?
Halo

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 4:42pm PST 
The dogs, never nor me from their food. me yes, salmonella from McDonalds once several years ago - still can't eat quater pounders with cheese and Trich. once form a friend's home raised pork that was cooked too rare and, being nice i ate it anyway.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Apr 17 8:40 pm

Puppy Place > Do you guys think that some 50/50 mixed breeds should become official breeds?

Halo

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 4:39pm PST 
No in general but, a few should be considered breeds in their own right due to the popularity and numbers of them out there. Cockapoo for example. Now coy and wolfdogs NEVER those, while all canine are not all domestic dog so should not be qualified as dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Rani, May 1 8:01 am

Raw Food Diet > Pig Heads!

Halo

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 11:09am PST 
We butcher our own hogs, so yes I feed heads but, pigs have thick skulls and, you want the dog to get the brain, so, a knife to cut the skin open and a sledge hammer are required. Crack it and let the dog have it for a couple of hours, then refrigerate or freeze it for another treat later. After two or three goes, it's just bare bone so, time to toss it. If it has very large teeth/tusks you might want to yank those out to avoid problems if the dog swallows one.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Halo, Apr 14 11:09 am

Behavior & Training > Introducing dogs to livestock...

Halo

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 11:02am PST 
Give the dog a saddle pad to get it use to the smell of the horse, then introduce across a fence with the dog on a leash. correct the dog for nipping or barking and the horse for even pinning it's ears. When that is safe, lead them together- in the horse's pasture, finally ride at a walk with the dog on lead. Work to the dog learning it has to heal with the horse just as it does with you - quietly and at the same pace you, or the horse is moving.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Apr 15 7:45 am

Choosing the Right Dog > One-Man (Person) Dog Breeds?
Halo

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 8:30am PST 
Well a low to mid content wolf/malamute would fit that bill, one that is more dog than wolf but enough wolf to give him a definite stronger attachment to his primary trainer/handler than to any one else and to make him wary of others but not fearful of them.

They also have thick coats, a nice double coat and, basically shed minimally except twice a year for about 10 days when they blow their coat and will shed profusely for a few days and need brushing daily to minimize the mess in the house.

Read up on Wolfdogs, and see if you might like one and be able to give them the care, diet and training they need. Too many find their one man tendency and naturally cautious, suspicious nature undesirable but, that sounds like just what you are looking for.
[notify]
» There has since been 80 posts. Last posting by Shar, Apr 19 3:10 pm

Behavior & Training > So on the topic of dominance...

Halo

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 7:36pm PST 
Has it gone too far? YES! Sure dogs, like all animals, humans included have a pecking order withing their groups, be that family, pack, herd, flock etc... and that can be a mixed group including humans, dogs, cats, birds, horses, etc...

Of course the humans are the top of the pecking order, we command everyone else, then it's down from there as to who gives to whom, generally but not always dogs are second, mammals third, foul fourth and fish/reptile/insect last.

Does that mean we as humans need to be aggressive, mean, over controlling of our animals? NO. Nor does it mean they are children and we should treat them as humans. Simple, treat them as what they are, lesser animals, but loved, valued, useful partners in work and recreation and social company in the absence of human company.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Apr 14 12:28 am

Dog Health > Sneezing/snorting =(

Halo

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 5:44pm PST 
I'd go to the vet. i had one do that, it turned out to be a ear wig (Nasty pinching bug) up his nose.laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Halo, Apr 13 5:44 pm

Raw Food Diet > Is this normal?

Halo

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 5:43pm PST 
Another way to get them eating chicken is to first soak 2 oz of their old food in warm water to get a broth, then inject that broth into the raw chicken, now it smells like and tastes a bit like the old food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Halo, Apr 13 5:43 pm

Behavior & Training > How does your dog get your attention?
Halo

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 12:26pm PST 
Sit or lay near my feet and place one paw on my foot momentarily. Anything else gets them ignored. My partner demands dogs be well mannered, and quiet, neat, clean animals if they are to be in the house at all, so that is the most that is acceptable for them to do as far as initiating interaction with humans.laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Chewy, Apr 15 5:38 pm

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.