Postings by Terra

GO!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Rabbit as Primary Protein
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 8:32pm PST 
Hey all, been a while since I posted, but had a question that I hope you guys can answer. After a long hiatus from we're back and will be using domestic rabbit as Terra's primary protein source. I'm running legitimate whole prey with her. Now, I know that rabbit is an incredibly lean meat, and I know I'll need to supplement some fats, but does anyone know how much? I have access to pork legs (meat, skin, fat, hoof on). Would one of those a week be adequate fat for the diet?

I know that, ideally, she would have a plethora of meats to eat, but due to her dietary constraints we just can't.

Anyways, she's 50#, and eats a whole unprocessed rabbit w/fur every two to three days.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 7 1:40 pm

Dog Health > Kennel Cough?
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 5:20pm PST 
It's very possible it could be KC. My understanding of the vaccine is that it doesn't keep them from getting it, but if they do contract it in some way, it works much like a human flu shot in that it lessens the effect and duration of the illness.

KC is VERY contagious, so it doesn't take much for a dog to get it should they come into contact with it. Matter of fact, when I worked as a receptionist/tech in training at a local vet hospital any dogs that were coming in due to a cough were to come in through the back door and then the entire area... floor, walls, would be sanitized. The dog left the hospital the same way and the room would be sanitized (including the area that had just been sanitized).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 27 2:11 pm

Dog Health > help me solve this mystery for my dog...

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 5:12pm PST 
Is it possible that the black flakes are really just little bitty bits of dried blood? We saw this in Terra before her itching kicked in full force. We got a damp paper towel and put some on there and discovered that what we thought was black, was in fact, just dried blood. What happened was that the area on her chest and under her front legs were getting agitated by her scratching.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 27 3:49 pm

Dog Health > Itchy Bullie... Tried Everything!

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Dec 24, '13 5:07pm PST 
We've been through this for the last... dunno, three or four years, with Terra. We thought it was food related allergies, but all the elimination diets we tried didn't result in anything. We had bloodwork run... tried numerous natural remedies, medication therapies, food additives, baths... Nothing worked.

I had her on a raw diet, barf diet, vet diet, novelty protein diet, grain free diet, vegetarian diet (I don't agree with it, but whatever worked, I didn't care). She went through multiple types of allergy meds, human meds that worked as allergy meds, etc. She saw her normal vet, and a canine dermotoligist.

The ONLY thing that has helped is moving.

We lived in a suburb here in Northern NV, and it wasn't until we moved into town that her itching got better. She would itch so bad that she'd be bleeding and had chronic staph infections on her skin. Baths didn't help, meds didn't help, foods didn't help.

Again, once we moved, she seemed to get better. We haven't seen a flare up since we've moved and the only thing that has changed since we moved is that she isn't around as much sage. It's entirely possible that your pup is showing an environmental allergy.

Anyways, my suggestion is to try new foods but write down EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT that is in ANY food your dog eats. Our old dog was actually allergic to the the preservatives found in most people and animal foods. Do your research on shampoos... Green Tea is incredibly toxic to cats, and it's toxic to dogs as well. In the right dose, it's generally safe to use, and some dogs do just fine with it while others suffer serious liver/kidney issues from a single bath. If you have cats in the home, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole in the off chance that they end up grooming your dog after a bath.

The key with trying new foods is to do them a minimum of two to three months. That's what was recommended by our vet, and after my own research, I have to concur with his suggestion. Often time raw Apple Cider Vinegar will help (look for products labeled 'unfiltered', 'raw', 'with the mother'. Braggs is a good brand), and it doesn't take much so it goes a long way.

If outside allergens are a concern, wipe your dog down with a damp towel every time they come in (this goes for ALL the animals both two and four legged) as the allergens can, and do, hitch a ride on everything. Limit outside exposure, and clean, clean, clean!

I don't know what I'm going to do if Terra pops up with more itchy problems when the seasons change again. The poor thing has been on one medication or another for the last two years to try and deal with the crazy itchiness and the injuries that resulted.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 27 1:47 pm

Dog Health > Pee Pee Problem (uti)?

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:44pm PST 
Guest: The OP states that urinating in the house was unusual for her dog. If that's the case, we can assume that the dog is housetrained.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Terra, Jun 25 9:44 pm

Dog Health > Pee Pee Problem (uti)?
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:09pm PST 
Usually the vet will procure the sample so that it's sterile. A sterile sample is very important and, honestly, can only be done by your vet. It's possible that the incontinence you're seeing could be due to hormones. Many spayed females suffer from this at some point and it's due to the spay/hysterectomy that is performed to sterilize them. Estrogen is what keeps the muscle tone in the bladder muscles, and by removing the ovaries (what produce/trigger estrogen), we remove their ability to maintain bladder tone. It's really quite common.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Terra, Jun 25 9:44 pm

Dog Health > do you buy meds other than at the vets?

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 10:44pm PST 
When possible, I get all my meds at CostCo. All antibiotics, thyroid meds, most pain meds, can be purchased at your local pharmacy for significantly cheaper than your vet or online through pet meds RX. Also, if you use a human pharmacy, you can usually get additional discounts by having a membership (CostCo), or by using a discount card like at at Walgreens.

I love supporting my vet, but after having worked for one I know how much markup there is and I simply can't afford it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Jun 22 10:32 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Too much info patches

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:27am PST 
I understand it for PTSD and Autism dogs. These often have hidden 'triggers' (especially PTSD... I know mine does). When it comes to the PTSD end of it, I'd rather someone know why I'm freaking out... if I do.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 27 5:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Tips for Slowing a Speed Demon - Speed eating and gulping.

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:43am PST 
Puzzle toys don't work for Terra. She just gets so excited that it makes her gulping worse. When I'm feeding kibble, she gets enough water in her food until it floats and I let it soak for a couple of minutes. I've also found that if I use warm water it slows her down even more. She no longer burps after eating. We've been doing this for a while now with success.

As to chewing. Most dogs don't chew institutionally (at least in my experience). You see this behavior a lot in raw fed dogs. They tend to swallow thing whole, and if you're lucky, they'll crunch down on it a couple of times to break up the bones, but no actual mastication is happening.

Give the water a go. It helps to slow them down, AND soften up the kibble which is to your benefit in the off chance your pup eats a little too quickly and chokes a bit, the food is nice and 'disintigraty'.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Bullie, Apr 15 11:09 pm

Dog Health > Desperately Need Help With Allergies
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 1:39am PST 
Terra has some pretty horrendous environmental allergies (worst during the spring/summer/fall but winter is ok since it the snow kills off everything). She's so bad that she ends up with body-wide yeast infections requiring steroids and anti-fungals/yeasts. She also looses most of her hair, has severe weeping rashes, and bloody areas. These are the things we've tried and all with vet approval:

Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs)
Daily wipe downs w/damp cloth
Bathing up to every day but at least 1x per week
Steroids
Coconut Oil (extra virgin/virgin, cold pressed, unrefined)
Benadryl (1mg / pound)
Doxepin (human anti-depressant that acts as an anti-histamine)
Evening Primrose Oil
Olive Oil
EpiSoothe
Medicated Shampoo

Out of all of these, the only thing that has worked with any regularity is Benadryl. It's safe for continual use. She weighs about 60# and she gets between 50-75mg twice per day (breakfast and dinner). In addition to that she gets around 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil when she get's her pills and her food is ALWAYS floated in warm water as it helps to keep her hydrated which cuts down a bit on the dry skin.

In addition to that, when she get's bathed I use an apple cider vinegar rinse at the end. I make sure to let it set and soak, and then she gets another rinse with cool water (soothes the skin inflammation). We don't rub her dry, instead we pat as much as possible and while she's still wet we rub her down with EpiSoothe, making sure that it's rubbed in well. It helps tremendously with the itchy skin.

A few weeks before we expect everything to start blooming we take her off the Benadryl and put her on some stronger medication. Last year we used Doxepin but we can't afford it this year so we're using something different. I can't remember what it's called as I haven't been to the pharmacy to pick it up yet.

We also make a point to limit her access to the outside (potty only) and all her exercise takes place in the house.

I know it sounds a lot, but we've spent literally thousands of dollars trying to get this under control and this is what seems to work. The bathing might seem excessive, but we avoid drying out her skin by essentially using lotion to keep her skin moisturized.

Also, she wears clothes. For some reason when she's wearing shirts and such she doesn't itch as much. I don't know if it's the constant contact on her skin, or if it keeps the allergens from really coming into contact wither her topically, but it works.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 10:43 am

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.