GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Loss of one of our own.
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:49pm PST 
That's heart breaking. I feel horrible for the family and the service dog community has certainly lost a gem. cry
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 2:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Has anyone trained their own service dog

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:15am PST 
I trained my own service dog and it took two years of intense training. I trained most days of the week and when he was ready brought him out to public places every weekend. Training for behaviors such as picking up and bringing dropped items is fairly simple if you have a dog with food, toy, or praise motivation. I would suggest watching these videos for a step-by-step tutorial on how to train for opening doors and picking up dropped items.

http://youtu.be/5phL604aZDA
http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqALzQpQEk&feature=share&list=UUbClNYe2z7nR wPNU9y3fDzQ
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 1:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Issues I may run into with a tripod SD?

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:48am PST 
I have a friend who has had two tripod dogs, one was missing a front leg and the other a back leg. Both dogs were very active while they were young but once they hit about 5 years they quickly tired after walking for about an hour or so. While the dog may be successful at performing the tasks necessary for PSD work they simply won't have the energy for long. I completely understand your desire to work with your dog but it might be best to start with a dog that sets you both up for success.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > socks, shoes or both?

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:31am PST 
I would advise against the shoes in hot weather. I originally got Ruffwear boots for my dog since we live in Florida and I wanted to protect his paws from the hot pavement. This issue is that dogs sweat mainly through their paws and the boots quickly lead to overheating. While in St. Augustine my dog overheated and collapsed despite my attempts to keep him in the shade and giving plenty of cold water. The best thing to do is to keep them off of hot pavement and in the shade. Also there are various waxes and balms you can put on his feet to protect them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cheyenne Starr, Nov 29 12:50 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Airline and your service dog experiances

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 6:59am PST 
Another thing to add, Southwest has had some bad reviews from SD users over the years especially with regards to SDiT's. This isn't to say that not all airlines have had problems but I've heard a lot more issues come from Southwest.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Aug 23 11:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Airline and your service dog experiances

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 12:22pm PST 
Samson and I flew with Delta and we had a fabulous experience. The gate attendants were all great about getting us on the plane first so that we could get situated. The flight attendants were very good as well, most didn't even say a word about him which I much prefer over loads of questions. Samson behaved like a champ and slept the whole time so there was no trouble there. We had bulkhead which is important because from what I can tell from the other rows they would be a tight squeeze for Samson.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Aug 23 11:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Fake SD...This Made Me Angry

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 6:59am PST 
That truly is frustrating! I am frequent on instagram and I can't even count how many times I've seen people with their pets in brand new vests with some mention about how they are now ready to fly or they can go everywhere with their pooch. It really angers me but I can't police everyone. Just a couple days ago while at a carwash a girl asked me "how do you get into the service dog thing". I explained that I owner trained him and the person NEEDS to be disabled in order to have a service dog. She went on to say she had a GSD that she wanted to "do that with". This isn't a club or sport people! I told her she may be interested in starting therapy dog work and gave her a list of organizations. It's frustrating but this situation seemed to be a case of ignorance. We've just got to spread the word one person at a time.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 21 7:07 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > My church rejected me because of my SD

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:13pm PST 
This is a real shame, I'm sorry they were so strict. When I asked my church about bringing Samson they "deliberated" for a week and then said that he was more than welcome at the church.

I have always felt that if a church was not welcoming to my dog they were not the type of church I would want to attend anyways. I'm lucky to have found two churches that welcome Samson with open arms.

I hope you find one that accepts you and loves you!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Max-SD, Oct 4 11:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > There are good businesses out there!

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 6:08pm PST 
Yesterday I brought Samson out on his first outing since his surgery and what followed made me angry and then thrilled.

I chose to go to Barnes and Noble since it's usually a very low key place to relax for a while. I got a drink from the cafe and looked for a table. It was quite busy there and it made me quite on edge at first so I wanted to quickly find a seat and enjoy the evening. Right when I found a seat and had Samson curl up beside my chair a woman who was sitting with her three children and husband loudly grumbled, "I ain't sittin' next to no dirty a$$ dog! He's over licking his filthy self and the floor." shock This caught me off guard because Samson was very clean and was certainly not licking himself, I never would have tolerated him licking anything especially with it being that busy. She continued with her grumbling and made her family get up and leave. I was so shocked by her that I just sat there unable to speak.silenced Samson was being an angel and slept on my foot right next to me. little angel

If the woman had nicely told me she was afraid of dogs I would have been more than happy to move to a different spot in the cafe but when she was so blatantly rude I decided I wasn't going to move.

I heard her grumbling as she hustled away that she was going to find a manager. I actually had a friend working there last night so she filled me in on the other part of the story.

The rude woman actually went to two managers and asked them to kick me out! To the first manager she said among other things, "It's a shame they allow dogs into this place, I know she's not blind!" The manager responded, "Well people do need service dogs for other things besides blindess and yes ma'am it's a shame that woman NEEDS that dog to WALK."applause That shut her up but then she quickly found another manager. She complained, "Can't you remove the dog, it's dirty, gross, and it's licking itself!" The manager responded, "I'm sorry ma'am but service dogs are legally allowed in this building I will not tell them to leave."way to go My friend said the manager actually wanted to say if she legally could have, "Can't you remove your annoying dirty children?!" big laugh

I'm just overjoyed that this business knew the laws and was willing to stand up for me without even knowing me or Samson. I will certainly be returning to Barnes and Noble again, and I am conforted in knowing that I have the employees on my side!dancingway to goway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Happy, Aug 5 6:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > In home companion

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 2:56pm PST 
I've heard of several programs that train "skilled companion dogs". Canine Companions for Independence and Paws with a Cause trains these dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Aug 1 11:51 am

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.