Postings by Reka

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Blue Buffalo
Reka

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:36am PST 
I had a friend who gave me a large bag of Blue Buffalo when her dog developed allergies and she needed to switch away from it. I inherited and Brand new bag and was happy for it, because I wanted to try it. I put two dogs on it, and kept two dogs on a control bag of their former diet.

The two dogs on the Blue Buffalo did well for a month. Suddenly they are both vomiting, while the dogs on the Royal Canin diet are doing fine.

I would begin to suspicion it might be this bag or lot, but this is the second bag. My vet says Blue Buffalo has many protein sources which may trigger allergens. The more protein sources a dog has exposure to, those with a predisposition to developing allergies will have a higher risk of doing so on the varied protein source. He says I have two small a test population to develop any sort of conclusion. But it's curious that 3 dogs on this have now developed allergies within use of two bags.

Is anyone else having issues with Blue Buffalo?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 27 1:58 am

Small Dogs > Anyone else have a Cavachon?
Reka

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:18am PST 
I really hate to rain on your parade. But you aren't likely to find them. They are NOT a breed. They are a mixed breed. AKA mutt. Someone thought up a fancy name, and perhaps even gave faked papers in order to trade it for bucks.

Nothing wrong with mutts. But I'd rather see people adopting them from the pound, instead of exploiting them in puppy mills and creating suffering.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Twister, Feb 19 1:57 pm

Behavior & Training > 23 year old killed by dogs... Two Presa Canarios and a Pit involved.

Reka

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 6:09am PST 
It's not the breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 40 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Aug 24 9:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Coconut Oil

Reka

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 9:26am PST 
In the spirit of raw diet feeding, I'm just curious where dogs would be obtaining coconut oil naturally in the wild
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 9:42 am

Senior Dogs > are there dogster groups for senoir dogs...hmmm just wondering.

Reka

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '11 4:36am PST 
This looks like a seniors group to me shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Jun 18 8:58 am

Behavior & Training > Urban Coyotes (sorry long)
Reka

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 1:28pm PST 
I agree with the previously stated comments. That said, I carry pepper spray when I'm working my dogs. Not because I'm afraid of coyotes so much, as I am loose dogs harassing my dogs when they are trying to work. People feeding their song birds, outside cats, and outside dogs provide ample buffets for urban coyotes. CATS are a favorite dinner of coyotes. The urban environment provides plenty of those. Small pets being missing from neighborhood yards that are often reported as missing or stolen are often simply meals for the opportunistic coyote. My sister caught her corgi puppy being toted off by a coyote frown

She never would have guessed that, had she not seen it. My neighbors turning out their black and tan coonhounds for a last hour out before bedtime lost them both to coyotes when they went out to get them. This was a pack of RURAL coyotes when the snows were deep and game was slim. Just to give you an idea of the power of a pack. You have nothing to fear with three large dogs against a single coyote though. It's too high risk with much easier pickings.

Too many irresponsible cat owners who believe cats should be free and allowed outside. Too many small dogs left unattended in back yards. (I had Reka picked up twice by owls when she was a puppy and I was with her at the time, therefore recovering her before she was seriously injured --coyotes are not the only predators of small dogs)
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Bella, Jun 17 8:17 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Foster Frustations...

Reka

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 4:08am PST 
I know what you mean. I used to work in Rescue and got the long term fosters. The hard to place ones. All the stories that made you go awww but cost a lot of money to place. One day I found a puppy of my breed. A sweetheart. I was told to go pick up a senior with health issues. Yes the Senior had a home, but by the time I picked up the Senior, the puppy had been put to sleep.

I got tired of being full to the max of dogs that stayed for years. They were costly. I did not get to work with my own dogs. The major bills, rescue paid for, but the minor incidentals were all mine. I got so I couldn't afford it anymore. I'm done
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Peggy, Jul 8 10:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > obsessively eating grass

Reka

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 7:34am PST 
RAW feeding is natural. Until you start adding vitamins, and enzymes, and all kinds of food additives for balance. Once you start doing that, how can you claim to be feeding RAW? What did the wolves ever do before powders and concoctions?

Fed raw myself for 20 years. Killed two dogs on it. You see people here all the time with nutritional imbalance complaints and dogs being treated for nutritionally caused issues. Perhaps they choose to ignore the fact that its dietary caused.

Veterinarians warn against RAW feeding. Nutritionists make big bucks either trying to correct problems associated with RAW Feeding and help them balance their diets, realizing a huge market here (making them not exactly impartial, after all, it's become a huge fad and their living)
Those who do warn against it, get grouped in the uneducated or conspiracy theory. Let's see.. Professionals who spend their lives treating nutrition issues that owners screwed up, and do food trials, and food studies being relegated to uneducated or tainted by conspiracy, how sad. The kitchen concoctionist carries more weight than professional lifetimes studying and treating owner screwups.. how odd.
No one tells anyone EXACTLY how to feed raw and avoid the pitfalls, because those pitfalls happen to be the blanket "YOU DID IT WRONG" when no one ever tells you how to do it right in the first place. RAW feeders just shut people up by placing blame on you for following their advice when something doesn't work out.
They get defensive, and abusive when things go wrong. There are no statistics kept on RAW FED mistakes. These poor dogs suffer, because there is no exact science to pin it on, after all, it's natural.

Eating grass is a sign something is wrong. Get your dog to a vet
Approved by forums moderator
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by The Hounds of Bassetville +3, May 13 1:43 pm

Puppy Place > Those of you that think I was \'wrong\' in my advice.....

Reka

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 5:28am PST 
I'm always curious how someone offering a different opinion is necessarily DANGEROUS ADVICE, when I see an entire forum with people offering DANGEROUS advice commonly accepted and freely offered without resistance. Perhaps because it's in a proper forum for commonly accepted DANGEROUS ADVICE?

I guess because I killed one dog following their dangerous advice, and almost killed another following their dangerous advice, and see people posting ALL the time, issues because they followed their dangerous advice, and then they prescribe more dangerous advice in an attempt to "fix it" really suggests that the people in that forum might not actually know what they are doing. But it's still dangerous advice and accepted.

I guess taking advice in public forums should be done cautiously.
[notify]
» There has since been 73 posts. Last posting by Ann -- CGC, May 13 5:19 pm

Puppy Place > Those of you that think I was \'wrong\' in my advice.....
Reka

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 9:10pm PST 
I do allow my dogs to growl. They are allowed to express their likes and dislikes. They just aren't allowed to act on them. Nor curl their lips. But they are allowed to say something.
[notify]
» There has since been 75 posts. Last posting by Ann -- CGC, May 13 5:19 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.